I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 17,340
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

john isaacs wrote:

bizmord wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

My D750 has had back button focus since I bought it.

But hey; who cares?

no it doesn't. It does not have AF-ON button on top right by the shutter wheel. I know you can program the other button AE-L that is close to the eye piece, but that location is not great for focusing.

Yes, it does.

The OP wants that button to be in the exact same spot as in the D700, not a few mm away

OP bizmord Contributing Member • Posts: 925
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

john isaacs wrote:

bizmord wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

But hey; who cares?

no it doesn't. It does not have AF-ON button on top right by the shutter wheel. I know you can program the other button AE-L that is close to the eye piece, but that location is not great for focusing.

Yes, it does.

Where?

https://imgsv.imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d750/img/d750_01_02.png

bizmord's gear list:bizmord's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more

FrancoD wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

bizmord wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

But hey; who cares?

Yes, it does.

The OP wants that button to be in the exact same spot as in the D700, not a few mm away

I know you can program AE-L button to be AF-ON .... but I tried using it and that extra millimeters to the left changes the experience. Not as easy and comfortable.  And that's why the new D780 has it's own AF-ON placed back on. Nikon finally figured out that people want it.

Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 7,268

bizmord wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

bizmord wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

But hey; who cares?

Yes, it does.

Where?

Right where you said it was.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Nikon Z6 II +16 more

john isaacs wrote:

bizmord wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

bizmord wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

But hey; who cares?

Yes, it does.

Where?

I tried that position ... wasn't too practical. I know it's just few millimeters to the left, but it was just not in the right place for me. When it is close to the back wheel it felt right. That's why the new D780 just brought it back as a separate button.

tony field Forum Pro • Posts: 12,591

bizmord wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

bizmord wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

bizmord wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

But hey; who cares?

Yes, it does.

Where?

I tried that position ... wasn't too practical. I know it's just few millimeters to the left, but it was just not in the right place for me. When it is close to the back wheel it felt right. That's why the new D780 just brought it back as a separate button.

Well that is certainly true. What you are relying on is motor muscle memory to automatically adjust the button. I had a similar problem when I switched camera systems. It took me a couple of days of constant shooting to adjust to the new and significantly different button layout. However I am sure that if you did choose a camera with a slightly different button layout you would adapt quickly

-- hide signature --

Charles Darwin: "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
tony

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads