I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
OP bizmord Contributing Member • Posts: 925
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

AwesomeIan wrote:

I would like at a used D810. If you don't mind APS-C you might check out the D500

my friend just picked up a used D810 for $1,000 at just 6k or so actuations. We'll be shooting similar events and would definitely be interesting to compare, quality of photos ... composition obviously will defer based on who is holding that camera.

bizmord's gear list:bizmord's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
PK24X36NOW Senior Member • Posts: 2,098
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

If you love your D700 and can find a repair center with the parts for it, a mirror assembly replacement shouldn't be all that expensive.

Michael Piziak
Michael Piziak Contributing Member • Posts: 811

When my Lowepro Micro Trekker 100 backpack camera bag finally shriveled apart. Even after talking to Lowepro on the phone - they don't make a bag with similar specs. I also couldn't find a similar bag online, that seemed as if it would please me either.

Your story reminded me of my camera bag story/need(s). I loved the bag so much, I just bought a "new old stock" one off of the auction site (from an estate sale) - it still had all the tags on it.

Your story reminded me of my backpack camera bag experience.  Sometimes it's just best to please yourself and get what already pleases/d you.

Michael Piziak's gear list:Michael Piziak's gear list
Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +2 more
Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,549

I have been shooting with a D610 for a few years. Just got a used D700 to play around with it. Another member wanted me to check out the color rendering in comparison to newer cameras like my D610 and D500. For $400 I thought 'Why not?' Well, I will tell you why not. The first thing I noticed is the incredibly loud shutter sound. How could I not? Perhaps you have grown used to it over the years or never noticed it in the first place. For me, it is a deal killer. The second thing I noticed is the very mushy multi selector pad. I shoot af-c single point making precise adjustments of the focus point key. During my brief shoots, there were user errors galore. Similarly imprecise for the pad's other functions. After shooting with the incredibly versatile, customizable, and precise D500 for the past few months, I could not stomach using it. No desire to continue the experiment. The shutter sound is too irritating for me. So, after a few shots, I am going to put it on the market. I expect to lose a few bucks. But, good to take this off my list of purchasing options.

This is my experience. Clearly, it is not yours so it does not apply directly to you. But, my typical advice for 'what to buy' queries, is to try out the various options. Take your camera to a camera store and handle the other cameras you are considering. You have used only the D700 so will become aware of its limitations only when you compare it directly to other cameras. As I see it you have a choice. Don't try any other camera and get another D700. Or, try out other cameras, very likely become unhappy with your D700, and decide which of the newer cameras you prefer. I have had this experience with computers. I used a 2009 21.5" Mac for 10 years. Performed just as it had since getting it. No loss of speed. Great monitor. Or, so I thought. One day I went to Best Buy. Put the brand new 27" against the also brand new 21.5" using my own Flickr stream to examine the quality of the renderings. The larger computer blew away the smaller one. Not a direct comparison but I confidently inferred that the newly released 27" Mac would be unbelievably better than my 10 year old Mac. Before, just looking at my old Mac, I was satisfied. Now, I couldn't see the display of my images without wanting more and better. If I never studied the issue this far, I may still be using my old Mac.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Iain G Foulds
Iain G Foulds Veteran Member • Posts: 5,181

… Brev: Initially, the solid shutter sound is a surprise, but it is a sound of quality and durability. You soon learn to appreciate it.

… Sad you would not take a bit of time to even look at the pictures. Incredible really.

-- hide signature --

... “Photographers have been gaslighted by camera companies to obsess about every leaf on the trees, and have lost sight of the forest.” IGF

Iain G Foulds's gear list:Iain G Foulds's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma SD14 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

PK24X36NOW wrote:

If you love your D700 and can find a repair center with the parts for it, a mirror assembly replacement shouldn't be all that expensive.

any ballpark $? That shutter has over 200k actuations

Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more

Brev00 wrote:

I have been shooting with a D610 for a few years. Just got a used D700 to play around with it. Another member wanted me to check out the color rendering in comparison to newer cameras like my D610 and D500. For $400 I thought 'Why not?' Well, I will tell you why not. The first thing I noticed is the incredibly loud shutter sound. How could I not? Perhaps you have grown used to it over the years or never noticed it in the first place. For me, it is a deal killer. The second thing I noticed is the very mushy multi selector pad. I shoot af-c single point making precise adjustments of the focus point key. During my brief shoots, there were user errors galore. Similarly imprecise for the pad's other functions. After shooting with the incredibly versatile, customizable, and precise D500 for the past few months, I could not stomach using it. No desire to continue the experiment. The shutter sound is too irritating for me. So, after a few shots, I am going to put it on the market. I expect to lose a few bucks. But, good to take this off my list of purchasing options.

This is my experience. Clearly, it is not yours so it does not apply directly to you. But, my typical advice for 'what to buy' queries, is to try out the various options. Take your camera to a camera store and handle the other cameras you are considering. You have used only the D700 so will become aware of its limitations only when you compare it directly to other cameras. As I see it you have a choice. Don't try any other camera and get another D700. Or, try out other cameras, very likely become unhappy with your D700, and decide which of the newer cameras you prefer. I have had this experience with computers. I used a 2009 21.5" Mac for 10 years. Performed just as it had since getting it. No loss of speed. Great monitor. Or, so I thought. One day I went to Best Buy. Put the brand new 27" against the also brand new 21.5" using my own Flickr stream to examine the quality of the renderings. The larger computer blew away the smaller one. Not a direct comparison but I confidently inferred that the newly released 27" Mac would be unbelievably better than my 10 year old Mac. Before, just looking at my old Mac, I was satisfied. Now, I couldn't see the display of my images without wanting more and better. If I never studied the issue this far, I may still be using my old Mac.

how much do you want for the D700?   I don't mind the loud shutter.

Michael Piziak
Michael Piziak Contributing Member • Posts: 811

I envy people like you that can go to a camera store and hold, try out, and get the feel of various cameras.  I live in a low population U.S. state, that is very rural.  My method of trying out camera equipment is to simply buy it off of Amazon and try it out - they have an easy return policy and are super easy to deal with.  I once ordered a bean bag, that was way over sized when I got it.  Instead of making me ship it back, they simply refunded me the $100 and told me to keep the bean bag....

Michael Piziak's gear list:Michael Piziak's gear list
Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +2 more
Brev00

Michael Piziak wrote:

I envy people like you that can go to a camera store and hold, try out, and get the feel of various cameras. I live in a low population U.S. state, that is very rural. My method of trying out camera equipment is to simply buy it off of Amazon and try it out - they have an easy return policy and are super easy to deal with. I once ordered a bean bag, that was way over sized when I got it. Instead of making me ship it back, they simply refunded me the $100 and told me to keep the bean bag....

Yes, I realize I am very fortunate.  I have both a Best Buy and a local store (Bedford Camera) that carry a good deal of gear.  Bedford will match prices even with Amazon and B&H even with flash sales so try to get my stuff there as much as possible.  Best Buy has a tremendous return policy that makes buying gear there attractive as well.  I haven't bought camera gear there though.  Computer and audio stuff mainly.  I have been trying to avoid Amazon as much as possible these days but not to the extent of cutting the Prime cord.  Moderation in all things!

The salespeople at Bedford are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.  They are highly skilled photographers.  They have biases but are transparent about them.  Got a Canon pro 10 printer there with the advice of one particular employee and that has made a world of difference in my enjoyment of photography.  Nothing like a physical print!

I have had that same experience of being told to keep a product by Amazon.  And Nespresso, too.  They sent me someone else's pods.  Told me to keep them and sent me the correct shipment.  Most online stores prioritize customer service and create a business model that allows for a lot of returns and mistakes.  That expense is included in the prices, of course.

straitouttahell
straitouttahell Contributing Member • Posts: 785

Interesting POV. I've always associated the loud shutter noise to ruggedness, always found it reassuring.

To each their own, I suppose.

straitouttahell's gear list:straitouttahell's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Olympus E-500 Olympus 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 +3 more
Brev00

Iain G Foulds wrote:

… Brev: Initially, the solid shutter sound is a surprise, but it is a sound of quality and durability. You soon learn to appreciate it.

...I am not sure how you know what I will or will not learn to appreciate.  You are better at forecasting my experience than me?  I don't eat cranberries because I have disliked them in the past.  Maybe I didn't give them enough of a try?  Will I love them if I buckle down and eat some more?

… Sad you would not take a bit of time to even look at the pictures. Incredible really.

...You do you. I will do me. I enjoy being absorbed in my surroundings when I am taking pictures. Such a loud bang takes me out of my flow. Very disturbing. For me. You feel differently.

... As I have told you, my experience in the field is as or even more important than the ultimate result on my computer. Living life to the full is a priority for me. When I experience something negative, I take as much into consideration as possible as quickly as possible and put the hammer down right away if I reach a clear conclusion. Could be turning off a show if it displeases me in the first few minutes. Skipping to the next song on Spotify 20 seconds into one I find I don't like. Scrolling past images, ignoring newspaper articles. I bought Taylor Swift's Evermore. Took months to get. When I listened to it, I noticed a lot of pops and clicks that greatly interfered with my enjoyment of the music. Cleaned the record and the stylus. Tried it again. No difference. Played Folklore. Perfectly fine. Contacted Swift's merch manager. Got a new copy. Plays fine. If I can't take pops and clicks while playing vinyl, how am I going to enjoy the quiet experience of being out in nature, listening carefully for the crackle of animals breaking branches, the call of a bird, when there is a startling bang every time I take a pic. That's not going to be good for me or the animals easily sensing my presence. I have not returned to the BOK after hearing Natalie Maine's voice horribly distorted at a Dixie Chicks' (now Chicks) concert. Couldn't stand an opera streamed in a movie theater. Audio was horrible. Won't do it again. Woulld have left if I wasn't with a friend who was enjoying herself. She wasn't bothered, didn't even notice, the horrible audio.

...The D40 was another matter. It was pleasant enough to use. Handled comfortably. Took and processed lots of pics. Shared online. It was a useful experiment.

...How do I know all this and so quickly? Because I know myself and trust my instincts. Works for me. I don't insist that others do the same. They have to go by their own self-knowledge. Different strokes.

...The shutter sound bothers me. LIke a firetruck going past. The sound of a firetruck never gets less disturbing. The shutter sound won't either. Quality? Faulty design just like the mushy multi selector pad. Hard pass.

Brev00

straitouttahell wrote:

Interesting POV. I've always associated the loud shutter noise to ruggedness, always found it reassuring.

To each their own, I suppose.

Exactly.  Thanks for your undertanding of a different pov.

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 6,589

I get it. Using camera gear is a very tactile experience, though how different people engage at that level in different ways. We see people post on here all the time about different aspects of a camera body, lens or system that make it virtually unuseable for them - usually something like placement of buttons, the stiffness or looseness of a dial, the layout of menus or shape of a hand grip.

For some people things like that don't really matter - they might care much more about details of dynamic range or tonal variation or colour palette and put up with or not notice hardware elements in the same way. We are all different and what matters to us matters to us, regardless of whether or not it matters to someone else. We may or may not get used to something we initially didn't like - learn to live with or even come to appreciate - or it may get more annoying over time. That's individual preference for you.

I had a D700 for a while and it produced beautiful images but was annoyingly loud. I remember lots of complaints about the loudness of the A7 shutter when it was released. People complain about the noise of focus motors in various lenses (the Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4 is one that often gets a bad rap). These things may not matter until they do.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony a7R II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony RX100 +14 more
Robert Cohen
Robert Cohen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,549

What does “in camera raw processing” mean?  A D700 can output raw or jpg.  A jpg has been converted from nef, but somehow I don’t think that is what is meant.

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Robert Cohen's gear list:Robert Cohen's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 3,425

Robert Cohen wrote:

What does “in camera raw processing” mean? A D700 can output raw or jpg. A jpg has been converted from nef, but somehow I don’t think that is what is meant.

In Canon, I can take a picture using raw, then process it by selecting things like white balance, picture style, noise reduction, lens corrections and convert to jpeg all in camera using the LCD screen.  I assume other cameras can do the same.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
Robert Cohen

A D700 has lots of picture adjustments you can make for a jpg.  As does every Nikon DSLR I’ve used.  That really doesn’t distinguish one model from another.

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 3,425

Robert Cohen wrote:

A D700 has lots of picture adjustments you can make for a jpg. As does every Nikon DSLR I’ve used. That really doesn’t distinguish one model from another.

For jpeg capture, sure.  In camera raw processing means you chose daylight white balance but wanted shade or auto.  Or you had a landscape picture style when you wanted portrait.  After you’ve take the picture, you can edit the raw file in camera and save a new jpeg to the memory card, or even multiple versions while still retaining the raw file.

Whether they all can do this or not, I don’t know.  I’m just saying what in camera raw processing is vs shooting on jpeg with various settings.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
Robert Cohen

OK, thanks.  I’ve been educated.  Which is good.

Aside from white balance, I generally don’t fuss with those settings, reserving that sort of attention to post processing.

-- hide signature --

--Bob

MrBrightSide
MrBrightSide Senior Member • Posts: 1,062

Ive owned a D810 since they came out. After hundreds of thousands of shots the camera is still a beast. there is literally nothing it cannot shoot and the images it produces are gorgeous. Nikon CLS is a godsend.
I still would love to own a D700.

wrote:

AwesomeIan wrote:

I would like at a used D810. If you don't mind APS-C you might check out the D500

my friend just picked up a used D810 for $1,000 at just 6k or so actuations. We'll be shooting similar events and would definitely be interesting to compare, quality of photos ... composition obviously will defer based on who is holding that camera.

-- hide signature --

Sit!

AwesomeIan Senior Member • Posts: 2,309

bizmord wrote:

AwesomeIan wrote:

One thing that will be apparent is the ability to crop into different composition in post. The 36mp sensor will give you a ton of wiggle room to do this. Don't get me wrong, I am always trying to get everything right in camera and never want to toss out pixels. However we don't live in a perfect world and given the subject matter you shared I believe you are probably cropping already. Anyways, my whole point is the 3x increase in pixels will ultimately help your photography.

-- hide signature --
 AwesomeIan's gear list:AwesomeIan's gear list
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads