I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
MOD AcquiredTaste Veteran Member • Posts: 6,148
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

bizmord wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

I'd recommend a used D4. You can snag one for about $1000, and it sounds like it would be absolutely unbeatable at that price for your needs.

If below items are the only upgrade, then I don't think it will matter in my shooting. Thanks for the suggestion though. Plus, I think D4 is a bit larger/heavier than an already large D700.

11fps vs 5 fps

16mp vs 12mp

204,800 max ISO vs 25,600 max ISO (also better high ISO performance)

video capabilities

larger viewfinder coverage (100% vs 95%)

in camera raw processing

I've used both extensively. The upgrade is massive, whether it looks like it on paper or not.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.
https://500px.com/biggs23

AcquiredTaste's gear list:AcquiredTaste's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Iain G Foulds
Iain G Foulds Veteran Member • Posts: 5,175
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

… Biggs: Perhaps you could show comparisons of images between the two cameras?  So we could see the massive improvements in colour and overall image.

-- hide signature --

... “Photographers have been gaslighted by camera companies to obsess about every leaf on the trees, and have lost sight of the forest.” IGF

Iain G Foulds's gear list:Iain G Foulds's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma SD14 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
Bob A L Veteran Member • Posts: 4,207

Donald B wrote:

Mirrorless have always been more efficient cameras to shoot with as long as they have instant image review which nikon have been behind the others over the years . constantly looking at the images on the rear screen used to drive me nuts. getting instant feed back and then moving on to the next shot is the biggest + for mirrorless.

Don

That might be good for you, but the last thing I want to see in the viewfinder is the last image I just took that is gone and I can't go  back and take it over.  I want to see what is in front of the lens that might make a good next shot.  You apparently don't shoot action, wildlife or sports.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 19,317

Bob A L wrote:

Donald B wrote:

Mirrorless have always been more efficient cameras to shoot with as long as they have instant image review which nikon have been behind the others over the years . constantly looking at the images on the rear screen used to drive me nuts. getting instant feed back and then moving on to the next shot is the biggest + for mirrorless.

Don

That might be good for you, but the last thing I want to see in the viewfinder is the last image I just took that is gone and I can't go back and take it over. I want to see what is in front of the lens that might make a good next shot. You apparently don't shoot action, wildlife or sports.

actually i shoot extreme dance action where every split second counts. so the fastest shutter response to image is the main priority. sorry but dsrl dont even come close. have you read the tracking review of the a6300 ? dpr gave it %100 hit rate

Don

-- hide signature --

Sony A7r2 , A6300
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1, em5mk2, em1mk2.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 394

By and large, there's a certain satisfaction to be had in making a machine purr by dint of hard work and perseverance. The tool has become an extension of the mind, every button's place etched indelibly in muscle memory. One enters a flow state. We see it with horses and jockeys, cars and drivers, potters and their hands, and of course, photographers and their cameras.

You stand to potentially lose all this. How well would Michael Jordan dribble a football?

Gear can get in the way.

Mindful of this, I recommend staying with the D700. However, because you are curious about what's out there (or you wouldn't have asked the question), I also suggest you rent one of the newer models or play with a friend's.

This is low-risk, and you gain some useful perspective to better inform whatever choice you ultimately end up making.

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,479

bizmord wrote:

PerL wrote:

bizmord wrote:

My Nikon D700 is pretty much dead. After 260,000 actuations, the mirror is giving up, and I am struggling with the decision of what camera to buy next.

Have things improved so much that I am missing out without realizing it?

I pair my D700 with 70-200 2.8 VR2 lens, and I like the output. Yes, extra pixels may be nice when I want to crop heavily, but these days, where 90% of the time we look at these photos on our phones and iPads, 12mpx is OK.

The autofocus is fine and I usually either shoot with continues focus on closest subject or use the 3D tracking. Most shots come out fine. My kids are now participating in dance competitions and other sports where D700 and 70-200 2.8 lens is a good combo I feel.

The back button focus button ..... love it.

In terms of AF - a D700 combined with a 70-200 2.8 VR2 – not much will beat that unless you go really high. Get a used Nikon D3s or D4 is my advice.

this is silly, BUT, what D700 has that D3s and D4 don't have is the pop up flash. There are times I use it as a minor addition of light when I don't have my big flash with me.

out of curiosity, what does D4 or D3s have on D700?

At least one stop better high ISO, faster AF, 9-10 fps, extremely responsive overall. D700 has great build quality, but the D3/D4 are even better. The ergonomics with the built in grip is superb, more compact than a D700 with added grip. The D3s has an improved 12 mp sensor vs the D700, while the D4 has a 16 mp sensor.

If you like the D700 (which you apparently do) I think you really should try to hold and handle a D3s/D4/D4s. Many of the worlds best sports photos has been made with these cameras. I think they hold up very well and beats or matches almost anything even today for sports, coupled with a high performance fast focusing lens like your 70-200.

The main drawback is the weight, but D700 is no paper plane...

OP bizmord Contributing Member • Posts: 925

LensOnSport wrote:

> I did look into D750, but there is no back button focus.

Sure there is. I had a D750 for years. Program the AEL button. No worries.

I mentioned this in my original post. The AEL button is sitting too close to the viewfinder. It would be much more uncomfortable versus having a dedicated AF-ON button closer to the right.

bizmord's gear list:bizmord's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 12,263
You answered your own question...

If it works for you, just get another, I wouldn't worry what anyone else thinks, I say that as someone who shoots with a 40+ year old camera which nothing else can match for what and how I like to shoot, in fact I have 3 of them (2 fully working, one for spares), if a tool works how you want it to then stick with it and carry on, leave the one-upmanship for people who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

absquatulate's gear list:absquatulate's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-S10 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +4 more
MOD AcquiredTaste Veteran Member • Posts: 6,148

Iain G Foulds wrote:

… Biggs: Perhaps you could show comparisons of images between the two cameras? So we could see the massive improvements in colour and overall image.

I haven't used the D700 in nearly 8 years. All those images are long ago archived, as I only keep client finals readily accessible for 3 years.

Suffice to say, though, almost as soon as I bought a D4, my D700s almost never saw playing time afterwards.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.
https://500px.com/biggs23

AcquiredTaste's gear list:AcquiredTaste's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 16,640
Replace or repair?

Any used D700 now is going to be quite old, even if it's been well cared for.

Have you asked about repair costs? Shutter or mirror replacement are not usually a major expense - they are routine repair items.

If you want a direct replacement or upgrade, I would personally go for something newer, if only because it would probably last longer. The Z6 with an adapter can use all your existing lenses, but also shoot silently. High ISO performance is also a big improvement.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
straitouttahell
straitouttahell Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: Replace or repair?

57even wrote:

The Z6 with an adapter can use all your existing lenses

With the exception of the 28mm AF-D, that will not autofocus.

straitouttahell's gear list:straitouttahell's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Olympus E-500 Olympus 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 +3 more
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 3,391

Bob A L wrote:

Donald B wrote:

Don

That might be good for you, but the last thing I want to see in the viewfinder is the last image I just took that is gone and I can't go back and take it over. I want to see what is in front of the lens that might make a good next shot. You apparently don't shoot action, wildlife or sports.

So turn image review off. Even the least expensive full frame mirrorless allow for that. Or, if I’m using back button focus like the OP and using AF-Servo tracking a subject, image review doesn’t come up until I stop actively focusing. And if I still don’t want it to come up, I can turn it off.

I get that people like certain things. OVF vs EVF or whatever. But I’m always fascinated the issues we invent to support our decisions that aren’t really issues at all. Doesn’t mean you have to like an EVF. It could be out of ignorance, I suppose. Complaint heard. Complaint repeated without any personal experience/research. If it forced me to review every image, I guess I wouldn’t like it either. Fortunately it doesn’t.

As for the OP. Hunt down a used one with low shutter count if you don’t see anything better. I think you be doing yourself a disservice to not get to a local camera shop (if possible) to at least poke around and see what’s new. Sounds like you’re one who places handling above spec sheets. No better way than to actually handle.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
johnny_mnemonic Regular Member • Posts: 122

For your needs I think a gently used d4 or above would do the trick. You are shooting indoors and autofocus is paramount (and resolution is not). With that being said, I migrated over to d850s which have absurd resolution and it truly did improve my indoor photos by a measurable extent given the advances in autofocus and how decent 45mp images can look even with a significant amount of noise reduction. I still firmly believe (most disagree) that iso performance really hasn’t changed much over the years, I still think anything above iso 200 on any camera looks crappy and that’s ok (it’s usable, looks good in prints, but it’s obviously different from base iso). Noise reduction algorithms have improved, but I just don’t see much improvement when it comes to RAW at high isos

I think the most logical path for you would be either another d700, d4 or above, or a d850. You are shooting a pseudo pro model now I would continue with that style of camera for comfort, viewfinder, and features for your kind of shooting

johnny_mnemonic's gear list:johnny_mnemonic's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
Bob
Bob Veteran Member • Posts: 3,876

My old D70 and D300 were great cameras (albeit DX format).  I now shoot with a D810.  The hand feel is similar to the others.  But, there is a world of difference between 12MP and 36MP.  So the only reason to upgrade is to have more pixels, which would in turn, allows you to crop significantly more than you can now.

Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 6,285

Hello...

Excellent photographs - thank you for sharing. 

bizmord wrote:

My Nikon D700 is pretty much dead. After 260,000 actuations, the mirror is giving up, and I am struggling with the decision of what camera to buy next.

I pair my D700 with 70-200 2.8 VR2 lens, and I like the output. Yes, extra pixels may be nice when I want to crop heavily, but these days, where 90% of the time we look at these photos on our phones and iPads, 12mpx is OK.

The autofocus is fine and I usually either shoot with continues focus on closest subject or use the 3D tracking. Most shots come out fine. My kids are now participating in dance competitions and other sports where D700 and 70-200 2.8 lens is a good combo I feel.

So ... I can buy a used D700 for around $500-600. ... or venture into something better?

I did look into D750, but there is no back button focus. The new D780 has it, but no pop up flash (which I sometimes use if I don't want to attach the big SB-700 flash). Maybe D810, but it's more than twice the price compared to D700.

So ... what am I missing out on?

P.S. Eye tracking is interesting, but in sports photography it may not be always useful. Below photos are what I took a few days ago. Yes, I understand, they could have been sharper.

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon PowerShot Zoom Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel T7 +4 more
Raziel Orlando
Raziel Orlando Regular Member • Posts: 130

bizmord wrote:

So ... I can buy a used D700 for around $500-600. ... or venture into something better?

I did look into D750, but there is no back button focus. The new D780 has it, but no pop up flash (which I sometimes use if I don't want to attach the big SB-700 flash). Maybe D810, but it's more than twice the price compared to D700.

So ... what am I missing out on?

P.S. Eye tracking is interesting, but in sports photography it may not be always useful. Below photos are what I took a few days ago. Yes, I understand, they could have been sharper.

I always saw the Nikon D850 as the spiritual succesor of the D700. But if you love that sensor look, get an used D3s and enjoy similar look with even better High ISO.

Raziel Orlando's gear list:Raziel Orlando's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Sony a6400 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +12 more
Bob A L Veteran Member • Posts: 4,207

JustUs7 wrote:

Bob A L wrote:

Donald B wrote:

Don

So turn image review off. Even the least expensive full frame mirrorless allow for that. Or, if I’m using back button focus like the OP and using AF-Servo tracking a subject, image review doesn’t come up until I stop actively focusing. And if I still don’t want it to come up, I can turn it off.

I get that people like certain things. OVF vs EVF or whatever. But I’m always fascinated the issues we invent to support our decisions that aren’t really issues at all. Doesn’t mean you have to like an EVF. It could be out of ignorance, I suppose. Complaint heard. Complaint repeated without any personal experience/research. If it forced me to review every image, I guess I wouldn’t like it either. Fortunately it doesn’t.

As for the OP. Hunt down a used one with low shutter count if you don’t see anything better. I think you be doing yourself a disservice to not get to a local camera shop (if possible) to at least poke around and see what’s new. Sounds like you’re one who places handling above spec sheets. No better way than to actually handle.

But the Original poster stated right off that he/she wants the review turned on with the evf.  Wants to see the last shot in the evf.

KAAMBIC
KAAMBIC Contributing Member • Posts: 999

There's a D700 for $429 with 46k clicks from MPB on THIS LIST. I have bought from them several times they are a decent company. Also a cheaper one with more clicks. MPB usually has the lowest used prices.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R6 +8 more
MrBrightSide
MrBrightSide Senior Member • Posts: 1,062

It was one of Nikon’s most magical cameras. Buy a couple more as backups.

-- hide signature --

Sit!

AwesomeIan Senior Member • Posts: 2,309

I would like at a used D810. If you don't mind APS-C you might check out the D500

-- hide signature --
 AwesomeIan's gear list:AwesomeIan's gear list
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads