I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Started Jul 6, 2021 | Discussions
bizmord Contributing Member • Posts: 925
I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

My Nikon D700 is pretty much dead. After 260,000 actuations, the mirror is giving up, and I am struggling with the decision of what camera to buy next.

Have things improved so much that I am missing out without realizing it?

I pair my D700 with 70-200 2.8 VR2 lens, and I like the output. Yes, extra pixels may be nice when I want to crop heavily, but these days, where 90% of the time we look at these photos on our phones and iPads, 12mpx is OK.

The autofocus is fine and I usually either shoot with continues focus on closest subject or use the 3D tracking. Most shots come out fine. My kids are now participating in dance competitions and other sports where D700 and 70-200 2.8 lens is a good combo I feel.

The back button focus button ..... love it.

So ... I can buy a used D700 for around $500-600. ... or venture into something better?

I did look into D750, but there is no back button focus. The new D780 has it, but no pop up flash (which I sometimes use if I don't want to attach the big SB-700 flash). Maybe D810, but it's more than twice the price compared to D700.

So ... what am I missing out on?

P.S. Eye tracking is interesting, but in sports photography it may not be always useful. Below photos are what I took a few days ago. Yes, I understand, they could have been sharper.

bizmord's gear list:bizmord's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
hobbit mob
hobbit mob Regular Member • Posts: 430
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

bizmord wrote:

My Nikon D700 is pretty much dead. After 260,000 actuations, the mirror is giving up, and I am struggling with the decision of what camera to buy next.

I pair my D700 with 70-200 2.8 VR2 lens, and I like the output. Yes, extra pixels may be nice when I want to crop heavily, but these days, where 90% of the time we look at these photos on our phones and iPads, 12mpx is OK.

The autofocus is fine and I usually either shoot with continues focus on closest subject or use the 3D tracking. Most shots come out fine. My kids are now participating in dance competitions and other sports where D700 and 70-200 2.8 lens is a good combo I feel.

So ... I can buy a used D700 for around $500-600. ... or venture into something better?

I did look into D750, but there is no back button focus. The new D780 has it, but no pop up flash (which I sometimes use if I don't want to attach the big SB-700 flash). Maybe D810, but it's more than twice the price compared to D700.

So ... what am I missing out on?

P.S. Eye tracking is interesting, but in sports photography it may not be always useful. Below photos are what I took a few days ago. Yes, I understand, they could have been sharper.

If you’re perfectly happy with what you had, replace it on the cheap. The things you’d get with a newer body are many. AF will be quicker and more consistent, better resolution/sensor technology, tracking will be better, more FPS, better video options, better viewfinder (better live view on mirrorless options, but I’m guessing you’re sticking to a dslr), better AWB, better controls (sometimes…), better low light performance, etc.

I shot with a canon 5d mark iii (2012) for 8 years and recently upgraded to a 1dx mark iii. I wasn’t expecting a huge difference, especially since the 1dx has a lower resolution than the 5d mark iii.  But aside from all the physical aspects being better, I could tell a huge difference in the overall image quality.

in any case, if you’re not longing for anything new, save yourself some money. But if you feel like you could be getting more from your gear and want to jump into something new, I think you’ll be happy with the jump in quality.

-- hide signature --

Accelerating Entropy

hobbit mob's gear list:hobbit mob's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 20,926
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

bizmord wrote:

My Nikon D700 is pretty much dead. After 260,000 actuations, ...

So ... I can buy a used D700 for around $500-600. ...

How many shutter actuations ?

or venture into something better?

Sounds like you have your ideal camera - the only question is whether the economics work out when you consider the condition of the camera you'll be buying.

- Dennis
--

Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,361
You have to decide...

...whether you want to upgrade specs for "free" and have to learn a new camera layout or stick with what you know, even though it is old.

In your shoes, I'd probably go with a D750 for just a bit more than a nice used D700. A nice used D610 is about the same price as a nice used D700, and is also better in most measurable ways. (it lacks the folding screen of the D750)

Also, what makes you think the mirror is going? Can't you just keep shooting it until it actually DOES go?

FWIW, I shoot with a D610, usually at the 'M' resolution setting of 16 MP. That is almost always more than I need. When I'm running out of telephoto, I use 24 MP, and when I know I won't be printing it bigger, I use 10 MP. It's nice to have options.

The D610 is also smaller and weighs less than the D700. (I shopped the D700 before buying my [second] D610.)

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"A book breaks the shackles of time."
-Carl Sagan

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Ricoh GR III Nikon D610 +36 more
OP bizmord Contributing Member • Posts: 925
Re: You have to decide...

Smaug01 wrote:

...whether you want to upgrade specs for "free" and have to learn a new camera layout or stick with what you know, even though it is old.

In your shoes, I'd probably go with a D750 for just a bit more than a nice used D700. A nice used D610 is about the same price as a nice used D700, and is also better in most measurable ways. (it lacks the folding screen of the D750)

Also, what makes you think the mirror is going? Can't you just keep shooting it until it actually DOES go?

FWIW, I shoot with a D610, usually at the 'M' resolution setting of 16 MP. That is almost always more than I need. When I'm running out of telephoto, I use 24 MP, and when I know I won't be printing it bigger, I use 10 MP. It's nice to have options.

The D610 is also smaller and weighs less than the D700. (I shopped the D700 before buying my [second] D610.)

Thanks. Just like the D750, D610 also does not have the back button focus (AF-ON) which I use all the time. I know I can program the Afl button instead, but it is sitting to close to view finder and won't be useful.

Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
Iain G Foulds
Iain G Foulds Veteran Member • Posts: 5,211
… False narratives

… The D700 is the only Nikon FF I would own, because of the quality of the colour, and the quality of the image as a whole.

… Don’t fall for the false narrative of “upgrade”, as if every camera produced is better than the last. It simply isn’t true. Engineers push certain areas of development, but they cover up what is sacrificed to achieve those values.

-- hide signature --

... “Photographers have been gaslighted by camera companies to obsess about every leaf on the trees, and have lost sight of the forest.” IGF

Iain G Foulds's gear list:Iain G Foulds's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1s Sigma SD14 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 19,317

Mirrorless have always been more efficient cameras to shoot with as long as they have instant image review which nikon have been behind the others over the years . constantly looking at the images on the rear screen used to drive me nuts. getting instant feed back and then moving on to the next shot is the biggest + for mirrorless.

Don

-- hide signature --

Sony A7r2 , A6300
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1, em5mk2, em1mk2.

Supisiche Senior Member • Posts: 1,615

If the D700 works like magic for you... buy another D700.

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,481

Donald B wrote:

Mirrorless have always been more efficient cameras to shoot with as long as they have instant image review which nikon have been behind the others over the years . constantly looking at the images on the rear screen used to drive me nuts. getting instant feed back and then moving on to the next shot is the biggest + for mirrorless.

Don

You dont want that when you shot sports with AF-C. You want to see what is happening, not having the view blocked by image review.

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,481

bizmord wrote:

In terms of AF - a D700 combined with a 70-200 2.8 VR2 – not much will beat that unless you go really high. Get a used Nikon D3s or D4 is my advice.

PerL wrote:

bizmord wrote:

In terms of AF - a D700 combined with a 70-200 2.8 VR2 – not much will beat that unless you go really high. Get a used Nikon D3s or D4 is my advice.

this is silly, BUT, what D700 has that D3s and D4 don't have is the pop up flash. There are times I use it as a minor addition of light when I don't have my big flash with me.

out of curiosity, what does D4 or D3s have on D700?

TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 8,395

bizmord wrote:

PerL wrote:

bizmord wrote:

this is silly, BUT, what D700 has that D3s and D4 don't have is the pop up flash. There are times I use it as a minor addition of light when I don't have my big flash with me.

+1

I hear you on liking the built-in flash. I like it on my D7000 and D750.

But don't forget you can toss on a small SB400 or SB300.

'won't trigger an off camera flash, like the built-in flash on your D700.

But an option to consider if you decide you like a D3(s) or D4.

Your images are wonderful. Hard to imagine an upgrade from that.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
hobbit mob
hobbit mob Regular Member • Posts: 430

The D4 has (from a quick search):

11fps vs 5 fps

16mp vs 12mp

204,800 max ISO vs 25,600 max ISO (also better high ISO performance)

video capabilities

larger viewfinder coverage (100% vs 95%)

in camera raw processing

If none of those matter to you - stick with what you know and like, especially if you can get a one in great condition.

-- hide signature --

Accelerating Entropy

hobbit mob's gear list:hobbit mob's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
MOD AcquiredTaste Veteran Member • Posts: 6,200

I'd recommend a used D4. You can snag one for about $1000, and it sounds like it would be absolutely unbeatable at that price for your needs.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.
https://500px.com/biggs23

AcquiredTaste's gear list:AcquiredTaste's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more

Biggs23 wrote:

I'd recommend a used D4. You can snag one for about $1000, and it sounds like it would be absolutely unbeatable at that price for your needs.

If below items are the only upgrade, then I don't think it will matter in my shooting. Thanks for the suggestion though. Plus, I think D4 is a bit larger/heavier than an already large D700.

11fps vs 5 fps

16mp vs 12mp

204,800 max ISO vs 25,600 max ISO (also better high ISO performance)

video capabilities

larger viewfinder coverage (100% vs 95%)

in camera raw processing

LensOnSport Forum Member • Posts: 96

> I did look into D750, but there is no back button focus.

Sure there is. I had a D750 for years. Program the AEL button. No worries.

LensOnSport's gear list:LensOnSport's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +7 more
straitouttahell
straitouttahell Contributing Member • Posts: 788

I'd search for a low  mileage D800.

ISO100, better dynamic range, you wouldn't  lose body quality without going "full size" of a D-digit.

If you downsample to 12 megapixels you'd probably see better sharpness and lower noise. You may even use a DX lens and end up with more megapixels than your current 12.

OTOH, 36 megapixels images are heavy on CPU and storage.

straitouttahell's gear list:straitouttahell's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +4 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 19,317

PerL wrote:

Donald B wrote:

Don

You dont want that when you shot sports with AF-C. You want to see what is happening, not having the view blocked by image review.

set a custom button, half press shutter keeps the camera on live.

Don

-- hide signature --

Sony A7r2 , A6300
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1, em5mk2, em1mk2.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 17,369

You are happy with the D700 and you are not venturing into a new type of photography so why not get another one ?

You should be able to find one in very good conditions.

For different reasons some do not use a camera all that much.

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 6,601

There is a reason why the D700 is still a very well regarded and sought after camera. I regret selling mine, though it was necessary at the time.

I was going to say you can assign the AE/L-AF-L button on the D750 for back button focus but you seem to be across that. What you can't do is physically move the button!

I'm not too familiar with the layout and features of the D600/610, but maybe check those out.

Otherwise, find yourself another (good, lightly used) D700 and keep enjoying photography as you have been doing. No need to 'upgrade' if you are not gaining anything in process.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony a7R II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony RX100 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads