Re: A shot where eagle was not close!

Roxy1945 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Handheld

Great shot!

hover mouse on photo to see exif for it

Different light different result. Perfect light on this one.

Exactly. It's madness to advise the OP to set the ISO to 125. Auto ISO would have set the native ISO of the camera here which would be 100. If the light was poorer 125 ISO would almost certainly have resulted in camera shake for the OP.

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6600 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,573
Re: Sooc shots of Osprey. Not sharp, Lots of noise

Digital Nigel wrote:

I think that P mode might be the best for the OP, with auto ISO and Auto ISO Min SS set to Faster. She wants the best results, automatically, not more control. The camera might well choose better settings than she does.

I strongly agree.

Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6600 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS

Boss of Sony wrote:

Don't blame the camera.

1. You're too far away.

The bird's too far away for best image quality but the OPs setting have ruined what could have been half-decent shots.

2. Don't use the SOOC jpegs. I rarely, if ever, use the SOOC jpegs from my MFT camera, because they're too noisy, dull, lacking dynamic range, etc. And my MFT camera has a sensor TWICE the size of your RX10. Run the RAW files through DXO Photolab or another decent RAW processor, and you will see a massive difference.

I agree that post-processing is the only way to get the very best out of the RX10iv and I'm thankful I don't have to rely on OOC jpegs. But the post-processing has to be good. I've seen lots of post-processed images from the RX10iv that are pretty bad and I know the camera could have done better. The point is the OP needs to be getting decent OOC jpegs before even thinking about post-processing. After all the weeks of advice on this forum the OP has chosen really poor settings for the two images in this thread - is there an answer to it, I don't honestly know.

3. If you're going to use the SOOC jpegs, at least turn the sharpness and contrast down, and use a flatter profile.

Very true, having the camera set on vivid and +2 sharpening is something I would never recommend for birds. I dislike the look of oversharpened over the top colours on birds. But maybe that's just me.

Bill Borne wrote:

Roxy1945 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Handheld

Great shot!

Well the settings should stay the same!

Eh? So let's say the light was two stops dimmer and you used the same settings the image would then be two stops underexposed!

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 46,731

Roxy1945 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Roxy1945 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Handheld

Great shot!

These same settings with the same subject in a different light will give a different result and not a good one many times so you can't compare this to how Ellie's image turned out even if she had used the same settings.

Kinda funny that I use these settings under A mode for 90 % of my pics and they ALL turn out fine???

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
Bill Borne

Horacecoker wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Roxy1945 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Handheld

Great shot!

Eh? So let's say the light was two stops dimmer and you used the same settings the image would then be two stops underexposed!

should have stated A mode which will adjust and ev is always adjusted

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
Bill Borne

Horacecoker wrote:

Roxy1945 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Handheld

Great shot!

Exactly. It's madness to advise the OP to set the ISO to 125. Auto ISO would have set the native ISO of the camera here which would be 100. If the light was poorer 125 ISO would almost certainly have resulted in camera shake for the OP.

So you are saying 125 will create camera shake? Then get a tripod!!!!

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

Roxy1945 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Handheld

Great shot!

Now you are being silly. The whole thread is about photographing birds. By the time you set a tripod up, most birds will have gone. Ever tried using a tripod on BIF? Also, a slow shutter speed on a tripod would be useless as most birds fidget about (especially small ones) and the images would suffer from motion blur. We can't all photograph semi-tame huge motionless Bald Eagles nailed to a perch.

Bill Borne

Horacecoker wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

Roxy1945 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Handheld

Great shot!

Now you are being silly. The whole thread is about photographing birds. By the time you set a tripod up, most birds will have gone. Ever tried using a tripod on BIF? Also, a slow shutter speed on a tripod would be useless as most birds fidget about (especially small ones) and the images would suffer from motion blur. We can't all photograph semi-tame

Not semi tame it is in a tree in the wild in state of Maine, but like you say STILL

huge motionless Bald Eagles nailed to a perch.

ok whatever

I should have stated using A Mode which sets the ISO according to F:Stop for still images not moving birds which then I would use S Mode

Anyways the big problem is she used ISo 400 with F:8 (Which is the big problem) for this image which is giving her problems

And not pixel peeping with a little denoising and sharpening ain't half bad?

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bassy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,384

the sony A1 is a joy to use i ended up selling all my canon gear to buy this camera

Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 14,676

Bassy wrote:

the sony A1 is a joy to use i ended up selling all my canon gear to buy this camera

Must be pretty unwieldy with that big lens?

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +19 more

Bill Borne wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

Roxy1945 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Handheld

Great shot!

Now you are being silly. The whole thread is about photographing birds. By the time you set a tripod up, most birds will have gone. Ever tried using a tripod on BIF? Also, a slow shutter speed on a tripod would be useless as most birds fidget about (especially small ones) and the images would suffer from motion blur. We can't all photograph semi-tame

Not semi tame it is in a tree in the wild in state of Maine, but like you say STILL

If you can get that close to an eagle it's semi-tame in my book. You can't get within 300 yards of our Golden Eagles on this side of the pond. Them's proper wild eagles them are!

huge motionless Bald Eagles nailed to a perch.

ok whatever

Ok, I admit a slight exaggeration on my part.

Anyways the big problem is she used ISo 400 with F:8 (Which is the big problem) for this image which is giving her problems

Very true. You do realise you said problem three times in that sentence.

And not pixel peeping with a little denoising and sharpening ain't half bad?

Denoising yes but more sharpening when she had already set sharpening to +2 in-camera, is a big no for me. Downsizing is good it hides a multitude of sins.

i dont have any trouble carrying around the a1 with the 200mm to 600mm

but i am still fit and healthy

example here when all did not go to plan kinda swinging it around thing

link

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 13,338

Bassy wrote:

i dont have any trouble carrying around the a1 with the 200mm to 600mm

but i am still fit and healthy

example here when all did not go to plan kinda swinging it around thing

link

So it's a defense against inbound peregrine falcons?

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P950

Bassy wrote:

You did the right thing. The image quality from that set-up is outstanding! Even though the birds are relatively small in the frame, when you zoom in the feather detail and sharpness is top-notch which is impossible to achieve with the RX10iv unless you are very close. In fact, the image quality is so good and you've got so many megapixels to play with it's possible to make two completely photos from that one image.

I toned the greenness down a bit.

both birds are looking  great

this is the full jpeg shot with out any cropping

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 15,960

My wife has been using the FZ300 and was happy with that but she wished for a few more BIF. So I bought her the RX10 m4.

Mixed results at the start but now most if not all of her photos are better with the Sony.

I really think that you simply need to get a grip on how to use the camera (settings) and then practice.

Mind you the same thing (not so goog results at the start) I have seen recently with two mates, one using a Canon 100-400mm and another a Tamron 150-600mm.

The one with the Tamron is a guy that makes part of his income taking landscapes but he had to learn how to use that tele.

So...practice, the camera is good.

A couple of photos from the last few days. Keep in mind that like me, she is not a photographer.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 15,960

semi-tame eagle...

Sometime it is the location, for example I tried many times to get close to a type of parrot on my property in the bush but could never get close enough, yet down in the village , about 3 KM away, I could walk to 4 or 5 metres to them.

Other times a bird will get to know you .

I had a female Kestrel not only letting me get to within 3 metres of her but also on two occasions coming closer to me to show me what she had cought. At other times she would fly past me so that I could follow her hunting. (they hover when hunting)  The same bird would fly away when other would get to 15-20 metres of her (perched...)

On my bush property I had a resident pair of Magpies. By the house I could not get close to them, but about 50 metres up the hill, close to their nesting area, I could walk to within 2 metres no problem at all. Same two birds...

FrancoD wrote:

semi-tame eagle...

Sometime it is the location, for example I tried many times to get close to a type of parrot on my property in the bush but could never get close enough, yet down in the village , about 3 KM away, I could walk to 4 or 5 metres to them.

Other times a bird will get to know you .

I had a female Kestrel not only letting me get to within 3 metres of her but also on two occasions coming closer to me to show me what she had cought. At other times she would fly past me so that I could follow her hunting. (they hover when hunting) The same bird would fly away when other would get to 15-20 metres of her (perched...)

On my bush property I had a resident pair of Magpies. By the house I could not get close to them, but about 50 metres up the hill, close to their nesting area, I could walk to within 2 metres no problem at all. Same two birds...

I hear what you are saying but I think Bald Eagles are an exception. The forums are stuffed to bursting point with never-ending pictures of the blighters. I reckon the ones that aren't semi- tame are not actually alive, probably stuffed! I've even seen phone shots of them filling the frame! Majestic birds for sure but I wouldn't lose any sleep if I never clapped eyes on another photo of a Bald Eagle.

I hope folk don't think I've written all that because I live in the UK and I'm jealous and would love to be the one behind the camera taking these Bald Eagle shots. 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads