WR rain day in Tombstone!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Jon Donahue Contributing Member • Posts: 797
WR rain day in Tombstone!

Finally a deluge to break the drought, just before a July 4th weekend Arizona Rangers parade here in Tombstone, Arizona Territory. Rain! Totally soaked my friend Cole in his buckskin jacket and wool trousers. No quick-dry polyester back when! But the stagecoaches kept running, and the long bar at the Crystal Saloon was full of people.
K-70 with 18-35 WR lens. WR meaning 'Without Regret', as I just didn't have to worry at all sloshing through the downpour. Kept the lens pointed down and dry, as the rest of the camera was soaked, but so what? Not saltwater! And just as we started getting a flash flood on our Main Street, the rain eased up, the parade kicked off, and what a great day!

Jon Donahue's gear list:Jon Donahue's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70
PentUp Senior Member • Posts: 2,566
Re: WR rain day in Tombstone!

Fantastic pictures Jon! I love what you are doing with your K70. It is an underrated camera in my view.

I hope that they bring out a K70ii and continue that line, but with a better battery and the AA battery adapter that the K50 can use.

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +11 more
OP Jon Donahue Contributing Member • Posts: 797

I like its simplicity. Wish all Pentax cameras would use the larger battery. But... for single-frame shooting, no big deal... I just carry a spare in my pocket.

Two notes — the stagecoach in the overhead shot was actually backing up ... first time I'd seen one do that! Then — the raindrops in Cole's photo are frozen at 1/250. Tried a second one at 1/15 to get them blurry... but the picture was a little unsharp, there are limits to image stabilization. And the blurry rain stream was low contrast, not as defined as the frozen drops, not as dramatic...

Pentax645 Contributing Member • Posts: 685

I really like the first one, guessing this guy didn't want a picture :-), and the second. Good work making lemonade out of lemons.

Pentax645's gear list:Pentax645's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro +6 more
RBIV Contributing Member • Posts: 568

Great job Jon,  loved the first one.  Who says you can't take a portrait with a wide lens.  Or is this just a fabulous snapshot?  Good either way...

Others as well!  Hope the S/W Monsoons stay awhile for you,  and sure wish you'd send some to NorCal,  we are scary dry....

RBIV's gear list:RBIV's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +2 more

Have a friend who moved to Garberville to get out of Arizona summer heat...  just heard from her... so hot and dry there, she’s over in Shelter Cove now on the coast, still some fog and mist ... and I read today the Russian River is almost dry, and I guess the Eel River too. Pray for the redwoods!

jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,793

I really like the first pic, your friend absolutely looks the part. Maybe the rain did it, but great pic IMO.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +13 more

He acts in movies now and then, and you have to show up in authentic costumes. For me, the shock was seeing how much water wool clothes absorb. Thank God for the discovery of oil, and our modern lightweight almost-waterproof fabrics. We live in good times, compared to back then. Arizona! Today is starting out sunny,, we will have a July 4th dog and cat parade for the kids, and a car show with no raindrops— not one! on the beautiful bodywork. And, thanks to the rain yesterday, there will be fireworks tonight, no danger of a runaway fire. The 4th of July is special here — celebrating our unique attempt at a more perfect Union, with freedom and true equal opportunity for all close at hand.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads