Transfer terrabites to Mac from PC?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Erik74 New Member • Posts: 11
Transfer terrabites to Mac from PC?

Hi

Just got my new macbook air M1.

I have 2 TB of images I want to copy from my pc to an external ssd drive (Samsung T7) connected to the mac.

I have tried migration assistant but it wont let me choose the external drive on the mac.

I have formated the external drive as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as I see on the internet is recommended. But when I plug the external drive into the pc it does not recognize it after formatting. So this is not an option either.

Could you please advise me how to transfer the files?

Thank you so much.

Best regards

Erik

Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,079
Re: Transfer terrabites to Mac from PC?

Erik74 wrote:

Hi

I have 2 TB of images I want to copy from my pc to an external ssd drive (Samsung T7) connected to the mac.

I have tried migration assistant but it wont let me choose the external drive on the mac.

I have formated the external drive as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as I see on the internet is recommended. But when I plug the external drive into the pc it does not recognize it after formatting. So this is not an option either.

Thank you so much.

Best regards

Erik

Format the T7 as exFAT - then both PC and Mac will be able to read/write

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-S10
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 19,170

If you're just copying files in one direction, from one external drive to another, the source drive can be formatted in NTFS or exFAT. (Windows doesn't understand how to do anything with Mac filesystems, unless you buy extra software like "MacDrive.".  Macs do understand FAT32, but you probably wouldn't use FAT32 for a multi-TB source volume.)

Macs can natively read and write exFAT. Unless you use third-party driver software, they can only read NTFS, but that's enough for a one-way copy.

The target drive (Samsung T7) should be formatted using APFS, unless you need to use it with older versions of MacOS that don't support APFS (then use HFS+).

OP Erik74 New Member • Posts: 11

OK - thank you - will the exFAT format have any negative impact on the read/write speed drive? Or is there no impact in this regard compared to the "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" format?

Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,079

Erik74 wrote:

OK - thank you - will the exFAT format have any negative impact on the read/write speed drive? Or is there no impact in this regard compared to the "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" format?

not much difference in speed - especially for a one time transfer

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-S10
OP Erik74 New Member • Posts: 11

Ah - I was more thinking about when it is hooked up on the mac in daily use - if there will be a difference in read/write speed with this format system compared to the mac format system...

Nick on the Baltic
Nick on the Baltic Regular Member • Posts: 349

There's not going to be a speed difference you'll notice in normal daily use. However, you should use APFS because it is a) more robust, b) supports the extended file attributes that MacOS uses and c) has some more bits of cleverness that you won't get with exFAT.

Your problem then is how to transfer the files to the APFS-formatted drive. Since it's a one-off job, it doesn't need to be a super-slick method. I don't know what  current Windows OS's are capable of, but the best way would be if you can share the PC drive over your network - MacOS can read NTFS formats. Another possibility would be to set the PC as an FTP server (if Windows allows) and use the MacOS terminal to run an FTP client. If you have a drive enclosure you can install the PC drive in, you could do that and connect it to a USB port on the Mac. You could perhaps (maybe the easiest, if fiddly method), divide the files across a number of folders on the PC so that you can use migration assistant to copy each chunk to the Mac's SSD and from there to the external drive. Lastly, if you have another external drive, format it as exFAT, copy files from PC to there, plug both that drive and the APFS-formatted SSD into the Mac and copy from one drive to the other. You'll probably want a second external drive as a backup anyway, so this might be your best bet.

-- hide signature --

Nick on the Baltic

Nick on the Baltic's gear list:Nick on the Baltic's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,146

Greybeard2017 wrote:

Erik74 wrote:

not much difference in speed - especially for a one time transfer

On my Samsung T7 I use exFAT (the drive came with it) because it's the only fully capable filesystem that works on Windows, MacOS, and Linux. It seems more than fast enough.

If you want to encrypt the drive, or plan to use it heavily for creating files, it might be useful to transfer files over the network to your APFS formatted drive. Transfer will be slow but should work fine. If you can connect your machines by Ethernet cable, transfer will be fast!

JPAlbert Senior Member • Posts: 1,085

It's always better to keep files that will be used with a Mac on a "Mac-formatted" drive.

There's more than one approach you could take here.

My "preferred choice" would be to format the t7 to HFS+ (Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format).
Then, get ahold of the software "Paragon HFS+" (I think that's the right name for it), which permits you to connect the Mac-formatted drive to the PC and write to it.
See this page:
https://www.howtogeek.com/252111/how-to-read-a-mac-formatted-drive-on-a-windows-pc/

I prefer HFS+ to APFS for data-only drives.

Another way:
This will require TWO drives of sufficient capacity.
a. Format drive a to exFAT and connect it to the PC
b. Copy the files to drive a
c. Connect drive a to the Mac (which will mount it)
d. Copy the files from drive a to the t5 (formatted for HFS+ or APFS if you want it).

Somebody mentioned encryption.
For a data drive containing your images?
I wouldn't do that.
I would want these files to be "as easy to get at as possible".

Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,905

As other have indicated, I think the easiest way is to format the T7 as ExFat, connect it to the pc, then transfer images from pc to T7 (since Windows can read/write to ExFat). Personally I have a few ExFat drives because I've used both Windows and Macs over the years, and have never had any issues with speed or compatibility. I am comfortable having all of my external drives formatted in ExFat as I can then retrieve images on Macs or pc's. The only drive I have formatted specifically for Mac is my external drive for Time Machine backups.

Recently though I had a relatively new Seagate external hdd fail, so I am thinking of switching my storage drives to smaller-capacity ssd's.

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
charlyw64 Regular Member • Posts: 437

Lettermanian wrote:

Recently though I had a relatively new Seagate external hdd fail, so I am thinking of switching my storage drives to smaller-capacity ssd's.

SSD are not a valid backup media, they will fail when not connected to a power source every now and then, so a SSD stored in a safe place for several years will possibly not be viableā€¦

Use multiple different media and refresh your backups on a regular basis. Directly replace failed media with a new one.

Jeff Wahaus Contributing Member • Posts: 576

Erik74 wrote:

Hi

Thank you so much.

Best regards

Erik

Plug in an Ethernet cable between your Mac and PC. If both have 1GB Ethernet ports (which is likely) then no additional hardware is needed. On the windows PC "share" the folders that you want to copy and then on the Mac these folders will become visible on the network. Then it's just a matter of using the finder to copy the files to your Mac's drive.

This will allow you to format the Mac drive however you want.

Also, note that you can do the same thing with Wi-Fi (no cable needed) but the transfer speeds will be 10-25 times slower.

Jeff Wahaus's gear list:Jeff Wahaus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus 12-200mm F3.5-6.3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads