S5 or S1

Started 4 months ago | Questions
neile2010
neile2010 New Member • Posts: 22
S5 or S1

hi all,

I am putting in my G9 , exchanging to full Frame....

I am slightly hesitant , should I go for the S5 with 20-60 , or the S1 with 24-105 f4.

I have covered all reviews and YouTube etc, differences are clear, but I would greatly appreciate some of your views, and input.

fortunately, size , weight, cost, are just in my budget ........(just about)

thanks in advance for any feedback

Neil

neile2010's gear list:neile2010's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
georgehudetz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,308
Re: S5 or S1

What and how do you shoot?

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S Pro 16-35mm F4 +4 more
neile2010
OP neile2010 New Member • Posts: 22

I don't have any specific subject , really quite general, and video is of slight interest...

neil

georgehudetz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,308

neile2010 wrote:

I don't have any specific subject , really quite general, and video is of slight interest...

neil

In that case, I encourage you to think in terms of weight, and where you intend to go from a lens standpoint.

The 20-60 & 70-300 is a very good two-lens combo, although not particularly fast, and neither super long nor super wide. But, when coupled with the S5 you have a great, relatively light, FF kit that covers most situations.

The 24-105 & Sigma 100-400 DG DN is another very good two-lens combo. And becomes a great three-lens combo when combined with the Sigma 14-24, or Panasonic 16-35. And combining the 100-400 with the faster frame-rate of the S1, would make a better wildlife kit.

Of course, if your intent is to compliment the kit zoom with primes, then the above doesn't mean much.

As for viewfinders, I have both the S1R and S5, and I am rarely aware of the differences in EVFs. I just raise it to my eye and shoot.

I much prefer the sound of the S1R shutter as compared to the S5.

I like the way the S1R feels in my hand - particularly with larger lenses, but I am grateful for the lighter kit of the S5/20-60/70-300 when I have to carry it very far.

Hope this helps.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S Pro 16-35mm F4 +4 more
neile2010
OP neile2010 New Member • Posts: 22

georgehudetz wrote:

neile2010 wrote:

neil

In that case, I encourage you to think in terms of weight, and where you intend to go from a lens standpoint.

The 20-60 & 70-300 is a very good two-lens combo, although not particularly fast, and neither super long nor super wide. But, when coupled with the S5 you have a great, relatively light, FF kit that covers most situations.

The 24-105 & Sigma 100-400 DG DN is another very good two-lens combo. And becomes a great three-lens combo when combined with the Sigma 14-24, or Panasonic 16-35. And combining the 100-400 with the faster frame-rate of the S1, would make a better wildlife kit.

Of course, if your intent is to compliment the kit zoom with primes, then the above doesn't mean much.

As for viewfinders, I have both the S1R and S5, and I am rarely aware of the differences in EVFs. I just raise it to my eye and shoot.

I much prefer the sound of the S1R shutter as compared to the S5.

I like the way the S1R feels in my hand - particularly with larger lenses, but I am grateful for the lighter kit of the S5/20-60/70-300 when I have to carry it very far.

Hope this helps.

thank you George , I haven't compared both in the hands yet....

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 726

The only reason I chose S5 over S1 is cost. 
S5 feels cramped in my hands and that’s with the lightweight 20-60 lens. Don’t think I will like it with a 24-70 f/2.8. And I would certainly prefer the S1 viewfinder.

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 43,370

Relative camera body size seems to be the biggest issue. Next the difference between a very neat double hinged tilt lcd and the now almost conventional side hinged lcd.

The evf would not worry me as I am  completely “cool” with the smaller field sequential (FS)  evf types- even that on the tiny GM5. But FS evf seems to be a convenient “Aunt Sally” to take pot shots at.  Large clear evf units seem to generally acclaimed.

Price? I would pay for the camera that best suited my purpose.

Otherwise - not  a lot of difference that I could see.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

reinhard becker Regular Member • Posts: 145

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Otherwise - not a lot of difference that I could see.

Hello Tom,

I would add 2 technical specs I‘m missing on my S1R and used to have from my Olympus!

- S5 offers LiveComposite which is a great tool for some special scenarios (but not everybody needs it)

- S5 offers 8sec exposure time for HighRes shots, with S1/S1R you only get 1sec

on the other side the S5 has a different kind of sensor dust cleaning function, but I can not tell if there is a practical difference. With my S1R I have after one year no problems with sensor dust.

-- hide signature --

Reinhard
Olympus E-M5II, E-M1II, Olympus lenses from 7 to 300mm
Panasonic S1R, Sigma Art lenses

reinhard becker's gear list:reinhard becker's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +16 more
Jsake
Jsake Regular Member • Posts: 225

neile2010 wrote:

hi all,

I am slightly hesitant , should I go for the S5 with 20-60 , or the S1 with 24-105 f4.

I have covered all reviews and YouTube etc, differences are clear, but I would greatly appreciate some of your views, and input.

Neil

I’m an S5 user, more so because i wanted the fully articulating screen, the lighter weight was also a bonus but not critical. for my hands the S5 is just about big enough, i don't think id want it to be any smaller. The EVF could be a little better but the 120fps mode is a nice compensation for the lower resolution. You will likely get pretty identical results in final images, it mostly comes down to ergonomics and user experience. would you rather have the more solid heavier camera with high res EVF and tilt screen? or the smaller, lighter, flippy screen one with the lower res displays? for me the S5 fit the bill better as the more general purpose camera. its still very versatile, despite being smaller, i can stick on my sigma 100-400 and go to the nature reserve or i can mount the little 45mm f2.8 and just take it with me on a casual walk or day trip.

Jsake's gear list:Jsake's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN +3 more
Kari T Forum Member • Posts: 95

I have S5 and with additional battery grip DMW-BGS5E it handles really nice with bigger lenses! Ideal lens is 24-105 f/4, but even with Lumix S Pro 70-200 f/2.8 it handles nicely! And there is a benefit of 2x battery life too.

Kari T's gear list:Kari T's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S5
JohnnyDvd New Member • Posts: 4

To be honest with you I haven't used the S5, only the S1. I love the build quality, it feels like a tank and that is important to me. I also used to dismiss complaints about weight.

Let me tell you my view after using it for a few moths:
Still love the build quality and would not exchange it for an A7S or whatever...specially after the lab tests that show how amazing the sensor is. However the weight does play a factor in practice. If one uses it for a few hours holding becomes cumbersome, even if your arms are not weak. Also, I find that in most situations I don't need the extra recording time for video, so that advantage ended up not making so much difference (depends on what you shoot of course)...
I do think that the weight of the camera can be compensated for with smaller lenses...
The S5 also has unlimited raw the same as the S1 if you want ultimate video quality with a Ninja5, if not now one can always upgrade in the future...

The stabilizer on the S1 is better though, again depends on what you shoot....

All that said, in practice except for the IS I don't think there is much justification for the S1 except that if you love a sturdy high quality built camera you will not want to part with it, I know I don't

Ah yes, the flippy screen on the S5, depends on how you shoot, I don't take selfies or do vlogging so who cares..... the EVF on the S1 is better too...

Re: S5 or S1 or SX5?

reinhard becker wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Otherwise - not a lot of difference that I could see.

Hello Tom,

I would add 2 technical specs I‘m missing on my S1R and used to have from my Olympus!

- S5 offers LiveComposite which is a great tool for some special scenarios (but not everybody needs it)

- S5 offers 8sec exposure time for HighRes shots, with S1/S1R you only get 1sec

on the other side the S5 has a different kind of sensor dust cleaning function, but I can not tell if there is a practical difference. With my S1R I have after one year no problems with sensor dust.

Thanks for your advice Reinhard,

I don’t know the S5 as I only have the S1 which I am quite happy with. So I have a bit of a guess based on S5 specifications and comments by owners on the forum.

The S5 seems to have been well received and popular.  But I would never own one because of its side hinged lcd.  It is actually a growing situation where once cameras have all become “pretty good” that buy decisions are becoming based on individual “features” that we either like or dislike.

Therefore when I see a new camera body released I immediately look to see what type of lcd hinge it has - if it is side-hinged I simply switch off - seems easier than going through attribute by attribute to try and weigh up if it might otherwise interest me.

I did buy a G9 - wonderful camera - has a side hinged lcd - I really wanted a GX9 type, but was an early adopter of the G9 and the GX9 was released about one month after the G9 was safely in my hands.  I have no regrets and simply “pretend” that the G9 has a fixed lcd ….  I will never do this again.

Therefore I would hardly be tempted to go for a S5 and find that Panasonic releases their Flat Top  RF-Style SX5 with tilt lcd soon enough.  I can wait - forever if necessary - nothing wrong with the “tilting” S1.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

A shout for multiple camera bodies

I have kept pretty well all my Panasonic camera bodies in service - from the tiny GM5, the GX7, GX9 the G9 and the S1.  I have plenty of lenses and tend to swap camera bodies as much as lenses - this means I have a body size for just about every occasion. From discreet carry-about shoots to the full brouhaha semi-commercial theatre shoots with a S1 and my new Canon EF 5Ds (never to be obsoleted) that I could never make myself afford when first released.  I can take up to five camera “sets” to the theatre and do the shoot without ever having to change a lens in a darkened environment in a hurry and a live production waits for no photographer.

Physical size is not an issue at fixed locations and if I am using fast and large lenses on a tripod then the camera body size in immaterial.

But one camera body, many lenses is still the most common use paradigm.   I have adopted the the swappable systems camera  years ago - several camera sizes mix and match with all my lenses (in the same mount system of course).

I am hoping that Panasonic will repeat their M4/3 experience in L-Mount where they offer many shapes and sizes of camera bodies that can use the full range of L-mount lenses.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,273

neile2010 wrote:

Then don't get either an S5 or an S1, IMHO (And I own BOTH an S5 AND an S1).

Unless you absolutely LOVE Panasonic menus and ergonomics, or unless you really need the great IBIS, I think there are (arguably) better cameras for still photography*.

It may sound like sacrilege with this being an L Mount forum, but I would probably look at either a Canon, Sony, Fuji, or Nikon system first, probably in that order.

If video were important to you, then I would highly recommend either an S1 or an S5, but the specific model would vary on what you want to shoot.

But since video doesn't seem particularly important, I would look at a different system.

Or, if you were keen on using manual focus lenses, then an S1 would be a great camera (better than an S5 due to the better EVF, LCD, IBIS, and focus peaking.

*Arguments for other systems: Better autofocus, wider selection of lenses and more affordable lenses (particularly for DSLR's but also true for Sony and Fuji mirrorless), better compatibility with adapted lenses.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +13 more
jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 11,177

I would not get an S1 unless I was planning to use it in a studio or on a tripod. It's just too darn big to carry about.

I have an S5, and that's about as large a camera as I would want to carry if I was actually going to walk around with it (which I do).

The 20-60mm fits my needs, as I like to do in-town architectural shooting as well as close up work (it has very close focusing ability up to about 28mm).

If you are a fan of ultimate corner sharpness, the 24-105 would probably be a better choice, but it's bigger, so you start losing that compact advantage, as well as the extra 4mm of focal length...for me the 20-60mm was a great choice. The 70-300mm is my second zoom for this kit, and it balances beautifully on the S5 body, as well as being relatively compact.

As others have said, it depends on what you plan to do with the camera, and how much weight you want to carry..... And, by the way, the S5 is a joy to use. (I'm a long time Panasonic M43 user, and this is just a great camera to work with).

-J

jalywol
jalywol Forum Pro • Posts: 11,177

Off The Mark wrote:

neile2010 wrote:

Unless you absolutely LOVE Panasonic menus and ergonomics, or unless you really need the great IBIS, I think there are (arguably) better cameras for still photography*.

It may sound like sacrilege with this being an L Mount forum, but I would probably look at either a Canon, Sony, Fuji, or Nikon system first, probably in that order.

Long time Panasonic user here...Had a Sony, had a Canon.  Did not care for either one.

LOVE the S5.

The 20-60mm with close focusing ability is not available in any other system.

The lenses will build out, and there are a LOT of options made by Sigma that are native L-mount, reasonably priced, and very good.

AND, the ergos and color rendition are wonderful.  Sony still has a long way to go with both, especially if you shoot nature, and I never warmed to the Canon color or UI in the two years I had one of their mirrorless FFs.  Panasonic's are spot on, and really terrific.

Flaws?  If you want great tracking AF, Panasonic needs to get its head out of its whatever and put PDAF in the next versions.  DFD is ok, but it just does not compete well in a tough market.

Oh, and I may be the only person on the planet who actually LIKES the EVF in the S5.  Go figure.....

This is definitely a case of YMMV.....

-J

Strangefinder
Strangefinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,183

Tom and the others have covered the main differences pretty comprehensively.

I’ll just add that the S5 is a sister camera to the G9; built to replicate the experience.  So if you found that the G9 felt good and invigorating then that background would likely boost your rapport with the S5.

However, the S1 is of a higher grade, with longer lasting shutter and the unsung benefits of durability.  It could keep on serving as an auxiliary for many years even as you upgrade to an SX5 etc.

-- hide signature --

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” Malcolm X
“Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always.” Gandhi

Jamajuel Regular Member • Posts: 451

neile2010 wrote:

hi all,

Neil

I have the S1. I don’t want to trade it in for the S5 since it’s the same IQ/sensor but a clearly worse EVF. Getting both seems overkill.

But if I were to enter now, I would definitely get the S5 because weight and size do matter.

Jamajuel's gear list:Jamajuel's gear list
Panasonic S1 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic S Pro 70-200mm F4 OIS Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +7 more
Jsake
Jsake Regular Member • Posts: 225

jalywol wrote:

Off The Mark wrote:

neile2010 wrote:

Long time Panasonic user here...Had a Sony, had a Canon. Did not care for either one.

LOVE the S5.

The 20-60mm with close focusing ability is not available in any other system.

The lenses will build out, and there are a LOT of options made by Sigma that are native L-mount, reasonably priced, and very good.

AND, the ergos and color rendition are wonderful. Sony still has a long way to go with both, especially if you shoot nature, and I never warmed to the Canon color or UI in the two years I had one of their mirrorless FFs. Panasonic's are spot on, and really terrific.

Flaws? If you want great tracking AF, Panasonic needs to get its head out of its whatever and put PDAF in the next versions. DFD is ok, but it just does not compete well in a tough market.

Oh, and I may be the only person on the planet who actually LIKES the EVF in the S5. Go figure.....

This is definitely a case of YMMV.....

-J

for someone doing general purpose photography and not dedicated to high level sports photography i think DfD is fine. its capable of a decent hit rate on moderately fast subjects. Ive shot birds in flight with a GH5 and S5. would it have been easier on an R6 or A7iii? probably. would i have got more keepers? probably.

so why DfD?… something that i hardly ever see mentioned is that the raw images coming out of the S series cameras have more latitude for pushing and pulling than i have seen anywhere else. At ISO much below 400 you can drag those light room slider to +100/-100 and you wont see any artefacts. when panasonic talk about the S series being about absolute image quality the lack of AF pixels on the sensor is part of that. its not entirely through stubbornness or ignorance that they decline pdaf sensors. they may at some point be forced to start using pdaf because of “market demand”. but i must say if they did this and it affected the raw flexibility id be a little disappointed.

Jsake's gear list:Jsake's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN +3 more
Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 2,023

I agonized over buying the S5 but I could not resist the pre order offer.  My thinking was that the S5 is the same size as the G9 and the menu system is basically the same.  It took several months for it to be delivered and I had a bad case of buyers remorse.  I absolutely love the S5 it is my G9 but even better.  Beautiful colors, same great ergonomics, the new lenses are smaller than the first Panny FF lenses.  I just got the 70-300 and it is heavy to me.  I want to use it to take Lacrosse pictures and will use a monopod with it.  For me, the S1 is just too big and was never a choice.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EOS M6 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads