Used Nikon lens from eBay: Scratch on front element

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
SvDe New Member • Posts: 2
Used Nikon lens from eBay: Scratch on front element

I know that the forum is already abound with threads like these, but I would love to get your assessment on the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AI-S pancake lens that I've just received from Japan.

In the first picture, a minor (?) scratch is visible on the left; above that, there are two very minor hairline scratches.

In addition, the aperture blades are quite worn when viewed from the back of the lens with no oil visible (but a black (dust) spot within the lens, probably a remnant caused by the blades rubbing against each other).

Would you advise me to return the lens to Japan (in which case the custom duties already paid could of course not be refunded) or should I ask the seller for a discount on his "NEAR MINT" lens and live with it - in case these defects do not affect image quality and don't become a problem in the long term?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Soeren

rcower Senior Member • Posts: 1,411
Re: Used Nikon lens from eBay: Scratch on front element

Your description reads like you are not happy with the lens, return it.

rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,728

SvDe wrote:

[...]

Would you advise me to return the lens to Japan

Depends on what you paid for it and what it will cost to replace. But, in your shoes, I would return it as 'item not as described' assuming these defects where not disclosed or obvious in the photos.

(in which case the custom duties already paid could of course not be refunded)

I do not recall the process, but duties on returned items can be refunded. You do not pay the shipping, the seller is responsible for getting a shipping label to you and for whatever happens once you've scanned it into the USPS or other system.

or should I ask the seller for a discount on his "NEAR MINT" lens and live with it

It is not "near mint".

- in case these defects do not affect image quality and don't become a problem in the long term?

The scratch on the front will not affect IQ normally. It may cause veiling flare / low contrast with a backlit subject. The markings on the aperture blades are concerning.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,073

I would recommend returning the lens, it is not in mint condition or near mint condition if it was advertised that way.

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR +4 more
Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,905

Am I missing something here? The 50mm “pancake” is a rebadged 50mm Series E. I can’t fathom the need to buy one overseas.

That being said, return it.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +16 more
TheMerchantofVenice Regular Member • Posts: 277
Couple of random thoughts
  • My experience with Japan sellers is that their merchandise rating is something like Mint ++++++ for items in pretty good condition.  Just plain Mintis about three steps down further down the rating scale   Other than the very large camera stores I Japan, this seems to be pretty common.Mint, to me at least, implies the condition of something just rolling off the assembly line.
  • By any reasonable definition you have a valid "item not as described" complaint if the item was described as Mint and eBay will compel the seller to refund your entire purchase price and pay for return shipping.  The Seller may make noises, ask you to send pictures, or otherwise whine about it but you'll get your money back.
  • There is probably some obscure procedure for getting your customs duty refunded, I have no idea what it might be, and I suspect that it's not going to be very speedy.
  • How bad do you want a copy of this particular lens?  Did you pay somewhat less than what one in actually Mint condition would cost?  Do you need it right now or can you wait a couple of weeks to get your money back?
  • I don't think there is anything going on with the lens that its going to make a difference in the images.
  • I do think that every time you look at the thing going forward it's going to annoy you and you won't enjoy the lens very much.
  • Personally, I'd file an "item not as described" complaint, give the Seller a negative, and send it back.  If you have to eat the customs duties that's regrettable but personally I dislike having to renegotiate a deal after the fact because a Seller exaggerated the condition of his item.
Nikon33
Nikon33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,506

Looks like it was a lens that you intended on shooting with anyway. The scratches will not affect IQ, they don't look too bad. I would try to get a sizable partial refund from the seller to make it a stupid good deal first, and if they won't do it, send it back (file a not as described case on eBay and make the seller pay for shipping).

Nikon33's gear list:Nikon33's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Timotis77
Timotis77 Contributing Member • Posts: 612

Nikon33 wrote:

Looks like it was a lens that you intended on shooting with anyway. The scratches will not affect IQ, they don't look too bad. I would try to get a sizable partial refund from the seller to make it a stupid good deal first, and if they won't do it, send it back (file a not as described case on eBay and make the seller pay for shipping).

I would do exactly this as said above......

If you can get a refund of some form that you're happy with, keep it and use it as the lens

If you can't, sent it back and take the hit on duty...

I've bough countless camera lenses and bodies from Japan, via eBay and 99.9 % of the time they items have been 'better' than they rated them at. Lucky maybe?

Cariboou
Cariboou Veteran Member • Posts: 3,422
If you don't did already, send back the lens and say goodbay to sellers
-- hide signature --
 Cariboou's gear list:Cariboou's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
chulster
chulster Contributing Member • Posts: 983

Nikonparrothead wrote:

Am I missing something here? The 50mm “pancake” is a rebadged 50mm Series E. I can’t fathom the need to buy one overseas.

Not this version. As indicated by the serial number starting with a 2 and the rubber focus ring grip, this is the Japan-only AI-S pancake that focuses down to 0.45m and not the export AI-S pancake with a plastic focus ring that only focuses to 0.6m. The latter is virtually the same as the Series E lens, but this one is superior.

OP SvDe New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Couple of random thoughts

TheMerchantofVenice wrote:

• My experience with Japan sellers is that their merchandise rating is something like Mint ++++++ for items in pretty good condition. Just plain Mintis about three steps down further down the rating scale Other than the very large camera stores I Japan, this seems to be pretty common.Mint, to me at least, implies the condition of something just rolling off the assembly line.
  • By any reasonable definition you have a valid "item not as described" complaint if the item was described as Mint and eBay will compel the seller to refund your entire purchase price and pay for return shipping. The Seller may make noises, ask you to send pictures, or otherwise whine about it but you'll get your money back.
  • There is probably some obscure procedure for getting your customs duty refunded, I have no idea what it might be, and I suspect that it's not going to be very speedy.
  • How bad do you want a copy of this particular lens? Did you pay somewhat less than what one in actually Mint condition would cost? Do you need it right now or can you wait a couple of weeks to get your money back?
  • I don't think there is anything going on with the lens that its going to make a difference in the images.
  • I do think that every time you look at the thing going forward it's going to annoy you and you won't enjoy the lens very much.
  • Personally, I'd file an "item not as described" complaint, give the Seller a negative, and send it back. If you have to eat the customs duties that's regrettable but personally I dislike having to renegotiate a deal after the fact because a Seller exaggerated the condition of his item.

Thank you all very much for your replies!

I have contacted the seller and returned the item. The seller has actually already refunded the amount paid, so that was pretty speedy!

Thanks also for the remark on the customs duty refund, apparently there actually exists such an option - being dreadfully slow and bureaucratic, of course, but still it should work!

gnet158 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,195

Ebay is a gamble, every thing is listed as MINT when it is usually far from.  Glad you got your money back.

-- hide signature --

I got to get out and shoot more.

gnet158's gear list:gnet158's gear list
Nikon Z6 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM
Timotis77
Timotis77 Contributing Member • Posts: 612

gnet158 wrote:

Ebay is a gamble, every thing is listed as MINT when it is usually far from. Glad you got your money back.

I find it the other way, most stuff listed as MINT is that, I also sell 'only mint' gear and have over 1500 sales, never had a bad comment ot issue.

Yes there are some sellers that will do you over or try to, same as walking into a USED camera shop, the risk is always there, I guess not being able to see and hold before you buy is the added risk of buying online...

blink667 Contributing Member • Posts: 908

SvDe wrote:

I know that the forum is already abound with threads like these, but I would love to get your assessment on the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AI-S pancake lens that I've just received from Japan.

In the first picture, a minor (?) scratch is visible on the left; above that, there are two very minor hairline scratches.

In addition, the aperture blades are quite worn when viewed from the back of the lens with no oil visible (but a black (dust) spot within the lens, probably a remnant caused by the blades rubbing against each other).

Would you advise me to return the lens to Japan (in which case the custom duties already paid could of course not be refunded) or should I ask the seller for a discount on his "NEAR MINT" lens and live with it - in case these defects do not affect image quality and don't become a problem in the long term?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Soeren

Keeping eBay up to date on your correspondence and having them arbitrate your issue, I would send the photos to the seller and ask him why he didn't mention the scratches in the item description.  Sending the lens back could get costly since you're probably responsible for shipping charges.

blink667's gear list:blink667's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,728

blink667 wrote:

[...]

Keeping eBay up to date on your correspondence

Just use the eBay messaging system, they can read it.

and having them arbitrate your issue, I would send the photos to the seller and ask him why he didn't mention the scratches in the item description

"why" is not relevant to eBay or the buyer.  The only thing that matters is that they did not disclose.

. Sending the lens back could get costly since you're probably responsible for shipping charges.

The key word is "probably", which in this case is incorrect. eBay's policy is that the seller pays for return shipping if the "...item was damaged, faulty, or doesn’t match the listing description."  Which was mentioned in the third reply two weeks ago.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads