July 2021 Part 1 — This Month Through Your Adapted Lens

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Travis Butler
Travis Butler Senior Member • Posts: 1,633
Re: Info and design of Mamiya-Sekor 55 f/1.4

Albert Silver wrote:

Of the old legacy 55-58mm lenses I have acquired, it is the clear champion in performance so far. This is comparing it against a Mamiya Sekor 55 f/1.8, the Cosinon 55 f/1.4 (though the Cosinon has a smoother bokeh as a rule), the Super Takumar 55 f/1.8 (the worst of the lot), the Auto Chinon 55 f/1.7, and the Helios 44M-7 (the best of this Helios series) 58mm f/2.

From what I've seen of it so far, my copy is good but not stunning:

E-M1 II, Mamiya-Sekor 55/1.4

(...I'd hate to take that fire escape!)

The others I have in that range... The Rokkor-PF 58/1.4 gives a rich, luscious look at near distances, but is only decent at mid-to-long range. The Helios 44-2 I've gotten some atmospheric photos with, but hasn't grabbed me enough to be a daily driver.

I also recently picked up a Hexanon 57/1.4 that's looking promising so far:

E-M1 II, Hexanon 57/1.4

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Travis Butler's gear list:Travis Butler's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +19 more
E Dinkla Senior Member • Posts: 2,404

I prefer my Olympus OM 50mm 1.4 above my Minolta MD(1) Rokkor 50mm 1.4, despite being more flare prone. My Canon FD 55mm 1.2 SSC being in another category.

While I do not have the Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.4, my Mamiya Sekor SX 55mm 1.8 is one I would not like to part with, an excellent all rounder if compared to my Topcor 58mm 1.8 that has good resolution but at lower contrast.

The Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.8 was introduced in the early Mamiya TL lens range and kept its place through the DTL, ES and SX lens ranges. However the optical scheme changed from 6 elements 4 groups to 6/5 during that period. There are claims that already happened within the TL/DTL versions, but ES and SX versions definitely are 6/5. So sure there can be a variation in image quality due to age and/or QC but there are also two optical designs of that 55mm 1.8.

http://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-sekor-55mm-f1-8-t64464,start,25.html

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
No photographer's gear list is complete without the printer mentioned !

boogisha
boogisha Senior Member • Posts: 2,588
Yoda, The Ring Bearer

RAW, Fujifilm X-T3 + K&F Concept NIK(G)-FX + Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4
@ f/1.4, 1/52, ISO 500

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-E1 +14 more
Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,373

Travis Butler wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

Of the old legacy 55-58mm lenses I have acquired, it is the clear champion in performance so far. This is comparing it against a Mamiya Sekor 55 f/1.8, the Cosinon 55 f/1.4 (though the Cosinon has a smoother bokeh as a rule), the Super Takumar 55 f/1.8 (the worst of the lot), the Auto Chinon 55 f/1.7, and the Helios 44M-7 (the best of this Helios series) 58mm f/2.

Was this actually taken at f/1.4? For a shot such as this, I'd assume f/5.6, probably the sharpest for edge to edge landscape shots. Still, hard to know how it would behave on a micro 4/3. I have a Canon APS-C. Dreadful dynamic range, but will give me infinity. I'll try the Mamiya on it.

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Mamiya-Sekor 55mm f/1.4 at infinity

Travis Butler wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

So I stuck mine on an old Canon 650D (crop sensor), which has infinity focus, and noticed a curious thing: if I dial the focus to the limit where infinity should be, it is softer than set just before. This is true of all infinity attempts. I am attaching two images taken from my window illustrating:

This was correctly focused (AFAIK), handheld, at f/4 (f/5.6 to f/8 may well be sharper). Still, the detail can be seen very easily in the small signs center left.

Comparison of focusing

These are 100% crops of both full dial infinity (top) which is off, and the slightly shorter focus on the bottom. The difference is night and day. Both are at f/4.

Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Travis Butler

Albert Silver wrote:

Travis Butler wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

Was this actually taken at f/1.4? For a shot such as this, I'd assume f/5.6, probably the sharpest for edge to edge landscape shots. Still, hard to know how it would behave on a micro 4/3. I have a Canon APS-C. Dreadful dynamic range, but will give me infinity. I'll try the Mamiya on it.

This was taken late afternoon on a dark, stormy day, through a tinted window; I wanted about as much light as I could get. I didn't note the exact aperture, but it wasn't much above f/1.4. (Unfortunately, the M42 adapter I had on it put the aperture scale on the underside of the lens when mounted.)

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +19 more
Travis Butler
Re: Mamiya-Sekor 55mm f/1.4 at infinity

Albert Silver wrote:

So I stuck mine on an old Canon 650D (crop sensor), which has infinity focus, and noticed a curious thing: if I dial the focus to the limit where infinity should be, it is softer than set just before. This is true of all infinity attempts. I am attaching two images taken from my window illustrating:

I noticed the same thing on mine. Usually infinity focus is an issue with the adapter being just a little bit too short; since mirrorless gives you good focusing aids, I usually prefer to just deal with it instead of messing around with shimming.

-- hide signature --

Diacyclops81 Contributing Member • Posts: 522
Nod to Butkus, a Miranda

The Auto Miranda 50mm f1.4…the early 8 element model. On Nex-5N at f5.6.

Diacyclops81 Contributing Member • Posts: 522
Pre-Ai 35mm f2.8 Nikkor…

Was looking for the F to m4/3 adapter and in doing so I pulled this guy out of the drawer.

Hadn’t used it at all in a long time. So, around the yard with it. A couple of close-ups.

GCL Regular Member • Posts: 237
Asahi Super Takumar 50mm f1.4

A few more test shots to get a first-hand look at the character of the bokeh on the 1964 to 1966 vintage (but new to me) Asahi Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (8 element) lens. At minimum focusing distance.  M42 mount adapted onto a Nikon Z7 body.

GCL's gear list:GCL's gear list
Ricoh GR III Nikon Z7
Travis Butler
40 Years

E-M1 II, Auto Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.4

40 years ago today, the skywalks fell.

The atrium of the Kansas City Hyatt Regency was a beautiful place; an airy, open multi-story space with three skywalks suspended in air, hanging without blocking the floor below. And on July 17, hundreds of people were taking advantage, attending an evening tea dance.

Within a few moments, the celebrations turned to terror as the 4th floor skywalk collapsed onto the 2nd floor skywalk, and both skywalks collapsed onto the crowd in the lobby. 114 people died, in the deadliest non-deliberate structural failure in the U.S. (Though the Surfside condominium collapse may pass it if more bodies are found.)

The collapse was caused by a change to the walkway design that was made at the request of a contractor - without consulting the engineers - and a lack of communication and oversight that would have caught the problem before it killed people.

-- hide signature --

Brian Chichester
Brian Chichester Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Flower time

In my garden with the Tamron 35-70 f3.5 CF Macro - my go-to lens for flowers.

Teazle flower

Eucomis (aka Pineapple Lily)

Crocosmia

The eucomis is not open yet, but it's one to avoid when it does open, since it has a very unpleasant scent. I'll need a longer lens to capture it in full bloom.

Brian Chichester's gear list:Brian Chichester's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon 1 V2 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +5 more
Re: 40 Years

I'm missing the connection between the description and the picture.

Brian Chichester
Brian Chichester Contributing Member • Posts: 727

Albert Silver wrote:

I'm guessing the sculpture is a memorial.

Brian Chichester's gear list:Brian Chichester's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon 1 V2 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +5 more
GCL Regular Member • Posts: 237

Brian Chichester wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

That is correct - the sculpture is part of the Skywalk Memorial in Kansas City, Missouri.

GCL's gear list:GCL's gear list
Ricoh GR III Nikon Z7
Travis Butler

GCL wrote:

Brian Chichester wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

That is correct - the sculpture is part of the Skywalk Memorial in Kansas City, Missouri.

Right. And the location in front of Children's Mercy Hospital is a suitable touch.

-- hide signature --

xyklisten Regular Member • Posts: 125
Konica Hexar 28 3.5

Tango 55 Contributing Member • Posts: 721
Re: 28mm Nikon "D" on the Z5

Alan WF wrote:

I really, really like the first one.

Regards,

Alan

Thank you, Alan, appreciated!

Ricky

Tango 55's gear list:Tango 55's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon EOS RP Sony a7 IV +1 more
Dusty-Lens
Dusty-Lens Contributing Member • Posts: 838
Sunset, MC Zenitar-ME1

Today's Sunset, MC Zenitar-ME1 on A7RM2

Travis Butler
Re: Sunset, MC Zenitar-ME1

Oh.

All of those are beautiful, but the first two are especially good.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads