July 2021 Part 1 — This Month Through Your Adapted Lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Brian Chichester
Brian Chichester Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Sigma UC Zoom 70-210mm

UC is for ultra compact, and this is a very small 70-210.

Sony A6000, Sigma UC Zoom 70-210mm f4-5.6,  @ 210mm f8.

Brian Chichester's gear list:Brian Chichester's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
TimHar
TimHar Contributing Member • Posts: 669
Canon (Sonnar) 50mm f1.5 LTM

Canon 50mm f1.5 LTM @ f11 with Yeenon Close Focus Adapter

Canon 50mm f1.5 LTM @ f2 with Yeenon Close Focus Adapter

Canon 50mm f1.5 LTM @ f1.5 with Yeenon Close Focus Adapter

Canon 50mm f1.5 LTM @ f11 with Yeenon Close Focus Adapter, Sony A7R2, Two vertical photos stitch

Canada_Guy Junior Member • Posts: 43
C/Y Zeiss 35-70

C/Y 35-70, A7rii, 35mm , 1/13s ISO 100

Spending a bit more time with my new to me C/Y Zeiss 35-70. I'm really impressed with the quality of this lens

chaimav
chaimav Senior Member • Posts: 1,506
'Geometric energy'

I was recently in a park and met a couple wearing wire contraptions on their heads. I inquired about it, and the guy told me they were for 'geometric energy'. Of course, this phenomenon has been known since the 1940's but 'it has been suppressed'. A little Googling showed me that there are others who wear pyramids as well.

Of course I had to snap a pic when were walking away, or no-one would have believed me.

P.S. I am working creating some stylized pre-sets for RawTherapee. This is my attempt at high key but washed out look. All I did for this edit was apply my pre-set and adjust exposure. C&C welcome.

chaimav's gear list:chaimav's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Brian Chichester
Re: 'Geometric energy'

I'm intrigued. I tried Googling geometric energy but only got results for geothermal energy. I'm not convinced I want to get into it but I like the headwear.

Fujifilm X30 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
chaimav
chaimav Senior Member • Posts: 1,506

Brian Chichester wrote:

I'm intrigued. I tried Googling geometric energy but only got results for geothermal energy. I'm not convinced I want to get into it but I like the headwear.

Google 'pyramid hat'

chaimav's gear list:chaimav's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
RvL001 Forum Member • Posts: 71
One more...

...because we can

The lily in our garden is in bloom and is quite big this year. A combination of sun and (unfortunately for us) a lot of rain.

Canon M50 with Meyer-Optik Görlitz Orestor 135mm f/2.8 @f/5.6

chaimav wrote:

I was recently in a park and met a couple wearing wire contraptions on their heads. I inquired about it, and the guy told me they were for 'geometric energy'. Of course, this phenomenon has been known since the 1940's but 'it has been suppressed'. A little Googling showed me that there are others who wear pyramids as well.

Of course I had to snap a pic when were walking away, or no-one would have believed me.

P.S. I am working creating some stylized pre-sets for RawTherapee. This is my attempt at high key but washed out look. All I did for this edit was apply my pre-set and adjust exposure. C&C welcome.

Too bad the dog isn't wearing one, that would absolutely complete the photo

Brian Chichester
Re: One more...

A gorgeous flower, with lush colours and beautiful rendering. I never get tired of flower pics.

Erichimedes Regular Member • Posts: 109

chaimav wrote:

You know though, I would have. I've seen stranger things.

Those pyramids you linked are $115 each, I think I'm in the wrong business.

Erichimedes's gear list:Erichimedes's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Erichimedes Regular Member • Posts: 109
Re: July 2021 Part 1 — This Month Through Your Adapted Lens

TimHar,
The first and second ones taken with the Rollei HFT Distagon 25mm f2.8 are amazing. The dark greys and texture of the wall are amazing, and that little splash of green in the corner adds just enough color to show off the darkness of the wall. The second is nice too, the shadows have a moody presence to them.

Canada_Guy,
Incredible! You caught some really cool light with the clouds giving those shadows.

Erichimedes's gear list:Erichimedes's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,373
Cappuccino with 'special' macro Mamiya-Sekor 55 f/1.4

So, the title warrants a bit of an explanation.

I commented elsewhere on the exceptional quality of my copy of the Mamiya-Sekor 55mm f/1.4, which is fine, and this was noted when I disassembled it to check and clean if needed. The problem is that I seem to have screwed up the minimum/maximum focusing on it.

The lens supposedly has a minimum focus of 50cm (http://mamiya-nc-m42.mflenses.com/m42_mamiya_55_1.4.htm) but after my brilliant (sarcasm) surgery, it now focuses at 20cm. This is not free, mind you, as my maximum focus was 1m90 and is now closer to 1m50. Sigh.

I will have to see what I did and play around with this to set it right, but for now, I can do a close up of a cup of cappuccino without cropping.

Mamiya-Sekor 55mm f/1.4 shot at f/1.7 (focus on foam) on Nikon D750

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Re: One more...

Brian Chichester wrote:

A gorgeous flower, with lush colours and beautiful rendering. I never get tired of flower pics.

Nature has a lot to offer to photographers

thayes15 Regular Member • Posts: 366
Re: Rollei HFT Distagon 25mm f2.8 QBM

Wow. Beautiful images Tim.

thayes15's gear list:thayes15's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +8 more
blåland Contributing Member • Posts: 584
Rollei Planar 50mm 1.8

Took this today outside the local hospital.

blåland's gear list:blåland's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE
Travis Butler
Travis Butler Senior Member • Posts: 1,627
Re: Cappuccino with 'special' macro Mamiya-Sekor 55 f/1.4

Albert Silver wrote:

I commented elsewhere on the exceptional quality of my copy of the Mamiya-Sekor 55mm f/1.4, which is fine, and this was noted when I disassembled it to check and clean if needed. The problem is that I seem to have screwed up the minimum/maximum focusing on it.

<snip>

Well, at least this result does look very nice...

Picked up a copy of the lens myself Thursday, at a local sale; haven't had much time to play with it yet, given time and weather. Very much looking forward to the pics now!

A couple of online references called it a Tomioka lens; the build quality and mechanics feel very close to my Yashinon-DX 50/1.4, so that seems fairly credible to me. Do you have any further information?

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Travis Butler's gear list:Travis Butler's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +19 more
Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,373
Info and design of Mamiya-Sekor 55 f/1.4

Travis Butler wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

<snip>

Well, at least this result does look very nice...

Picked up a copy of the lens myself Thursday, at a local sale; haven't had much time to play with it yet, given time and weather. Very much looking forward to the pics now!

A couple of online references called it a Tomioka lens; the build quality and mechanics feel very close to my Yashinon-DX 50/1.4, so that seems fairly credible to me. Do you have any further information?

Of the old legacy 55-58mm lenses I have acquired, it is the clear champion in performance so far. This is comparing it against a Mamiya Sekor 55 f/1.8, the Cosinon 55 f/1.4 (though the Cosinon has a smoother bokeh as a rule), the Super Takumar 55 f/1.8 (the worst of the lot), the Auto Chinon 55 f/1.7, and the Helios 44M-7 (the best of this Helios series) 58mm f/2.

I have read a much repeated (presumably from the same source) comment that the Mamiya-Sekor 55 f/1.8 is as good or even better, and all I can say is that is utter bunk, though sample variation may be a factor here. The f/1.8 is perfectly fine, but it is unquestionably a worse performer. The f/1.4 is better at f/1.7 than my f/1.8 is at f/2 and roughly equivalent to it at f/2.4.

Here are some links:

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_443.html

Regarding Tomioka:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tomioka-zeiss-mamiya-and-55-1-4-design-t22661.html

"all of them have 3 lenses in 3 groups (typical Ultron scheme). Only the 55/1.4 lens, has 3 lenses in 2 groups (one cemented doublet). => all Tomioka (Yashica) standard lenses are based on Ultron scheme, but Tomioka 55/1.4 isn't"

I can confirm that there is a cemented doublet.

Optical design:

http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Rolleiflex350_en.html (see bottom description)

Mamiya-Sekor 55 f/1.4 design

The page's author notes that it looks identical to Carl Zeiss's Planar of the period and speculates whether the design was not sold.

Design of Carl Zeiss Planar 55mm f/14 built for for the Contarex SLR from 1961-1970

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Jefers New Member • Posts: 10

Canon M10 & FD 50mm

markintosh13
markintosh13 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,832
out to Middle Island

Sony A7iii +
Monster Adapter LA-EA4r & Minolta AF 500mm F8 Reflex & Kenko 1.5x TC
and
LA-EA3 adapter with Sigma 50mm F/1.4 EX DG HSM (A-mount)

Cow Eye-AF with a Minolta AF 500 F8 Reflex is very cool

TimHar
TimHar Contributing Member • Posts: 669

Thank you:-)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads