How should I configure unequal RAM?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
MacroDonata
MacroDonata Regular Member • Posts: 260
How should I configure unequal RAM?

I was under the impression that slots 1&2 should be used for the higher capacity sets and 3&4 for the lower.

However, I found this verbiage on the apple support page:

"If your DIMMs are mixed in capacity, minimize the capacity difference between Channel A (slots 1 and 2) and Channel B (slots 3 and 4) when possible."

If I am reading that correctly, the slots should be ordered as 1-big, 2-small, 3-big, 4-small.  That would equalize the two channels.

When I look at "Memory" on the "About this Mac" function, should the larger capacity DIMMs both be at the top?

Not a big deal to rearrange if needed, but I thought I'd check here first.

Thanks.

MacroDonata's gear list:MacroDonata's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony RX100 V Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +23 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,526
Re: How should I configure unequal RAM?

I would guess that each pair of shots should have equal sized memory cards.  That has been my experience in other Mac products where the memory shots come in pairs.  I don't know anything about using a single slot in a pair.

-- hide signature --
tsinsf Contributing Member • Posts: 848

Why would you believe a stranger on the internet rather than the Apple support page? If it were me, I would follow their advice and see if their are any problems. You can always switch later.

tsinsf's gear list:tsinsf's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 264

You likely have a 2020 iMac? Those require paired DIMMs. Slots 1/3 and 2/4 are paired. Apple is 100% correct as they should be. Be aware, though, that mixing capacities and even brands in this manner will result in your RAM speed being throttled.

MacroDonata
OP MacroDonata Regular Member • Posts: 260

I am simply trying to confirm my understanding of the verbiage on the Apple support page.

The sentence following the Apple quote shows how I think they mean for it to be configured.

People on this thread tend to be pretty knowledgeable, so I thought it made sense to see if they agreed with my assessment.

Ricoh GR II Sony RX100 V Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +23 more
MacroDonata

Thanks for your reply.

It is a 2017 model 18,3.

They are OWC DIMMs designed specifically for that model.

Thanks.

jeffnles1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,756

I read that a little differently.  Say you have 2 32gb memory cards and 2 16gb memory cards.
Bank A

32 / 32

Bank B

16 / 16

jeffnles1's gear list:jeffnles1's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter +5 more
MacroDonata
OWC clarified it.

When I posted this question last night, OWC cust service was closed and I didn't feel like getting Apple support on the phone.  I was looking to make sure I understood the Apple support page before I reconfigured the RAM.

Spoke to OWC a couple of hours ago and they confirmed that the different sizes should be stacked intermittenly in the slots.  Either Small/Big/Small/Big or Big/Small/Big/Small.

Thanks for your helpful responses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads