Olympus 17mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm x100v f2

Started 3 months ago | Questions
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 6,182
Because …

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

These are so different…That I do not think a comparison of their light gathering capabilities is really the point at all. The shooting experience, the handling experience, the carry experience, the whole point of both, other than roughly the same FOV (and even then the aspect ratio is different), is so completely different.

if all I cared about was low light, AF, and Technical IQ (Corner sharpness, Vignetting, etc) the Oly is better (At least on a modern m43 body), but the x100 has just a whole different point to it’s existence.

Hi. The comparison is the point for me , hence the post.

The comparison makes no practical sense but the answer is the Oly.

In what way doesn't it make sense? It's a technical question that I simply asked for a non technical answer. Why is it so difficult on this forum to get an answer without people like you making it into an argument?

Because many here aren't interested in helping anyone understand photography. Been that way for a long time unfortunately.

Also, you committed the unforgivable sin (to many) of asking about cross platform comparisons. To talk about any other format is blasphemy to many here.

Just learn who to ignore. There is an 'ignore user' function (under 'more options') that will block viewing someone's replies unless you choose otherwise. I use it liberally on this forum.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

red pencil Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: Because …
6

jwilliams wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

These are so different…That I do not think a comparison of their light gathering capabilities is really the point at all. The shooting experience, the handling experience, the carry experience, the whole point of both, other than roughly the same FOV (and even then the aspect ratio is different), is so completely different.

if all I cared about was low light, AF, and Technical IQ (Corner sharpness, Vignetting, etc) the Oly is better (At least on a modern m43 body), but the x100 has just a whole different point to it’s existence.

Hi. The comparison is the point for me , hence the post.

The comparison makes no practical sense but the answer is the Oly.

In what way doesn't it make sense? It's a technical question that I simply asked for a non technical answer. Why is it so difficult on this forum to get an answer without people like you making it into an argument?

Because many here aren't interested in helping anyone understand photography. Been that way for a long time unfortunately.

Also, you committed the unforgivable sin (to many) of asking about cross platform comparisons. To talk about any other format is blasphemy to many here.

Just learn who to ignore. There is an 'ignore user' function (under 'more options') that will block viewing someone's replies unless you choose otherwise. I use it liberally on this forum.

The OP is better off using the gear, taking photos, assessing the results and making the decision. It’s all pretty simple

As for ignore why bother with the forum better to take the good with the bad and there are great tips even within the arguments

jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 6,182
Of course …

red pencil wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

These are so different…That I do not think a comparison of their light gathering capabilities is really the point at all. The shooting experience, the handling experience, the carry experience, the whole point of both, other than roughly the same FOV (and even then the aspect ratio is different), is so completely different.

if all I cared about was low light, AF, and Technical IQ (Corner sharpness, Vignetting, etc) the Oly is better (At least on a modern m43 body), but the x100 has just a whole different point to it’s existence.

Hi. The comparison is the point for me , hence the post.

The comparison makes no practical sense but the answer is the Oly.

In what way doesn't it make sense? It's a technical question that I simply asked for a non technical answer. Why is it so difficult on this forum to get an answer without people like you making it into an argument?

Because many here aren't interested in helping anyone understand photography. Been that way for a long time unfortunately.

Also, you committed the unforgivable sin (to many) of asking about cross platform comparisons. To talk about any other format is blasphemy to many here.

Just learn who to ignore. There is an 'ignore user' function (under 'more options') that will block viewing someone's replies unless you choose otherwise. I use it liberally on this forum.

The OP is better off using the gear, taking photos, assessing the results and making the decision. It’s all pretty simple

Of course it's good to learn thru first hand experience.  There's no reason that should preclude asking questions here.  That after all is supposed to be what a place like this is about.

As for ignore why bother with the forum better to take the good with the bad and there are great tips even within the arguments

Low tolerance for rude people.  Disagree, have a different point of view, etc., etc., but do it in a civil manner.  Otherwise I prefer to not converse.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

red pencil Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: Of course …
7

Of course it's good to learn thru first hand experience. There's no reason that should preclude asking questions here. That after all is supposed to be what a place like this is about.

As for ignore why bother with the forum better to take the good with the bad and there are great tips even within the arguments

Low tolerance for rude people. Disagree, have a different point of view, etc., etc., but do it in a civil manner. Otherwise I prefer to not converse.

Sure ask but the OP has been a bit curt to some posters and their responses, best left to wallow in his own dilemma

pdelux Senior Member • Posts: 1,046
Re: Olympus 17mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm x100v f2
6

northlondon43 wrote:

Thanks

The 17 1.2 is the best prime IMO in the M43 catalog.

I would sell something else before this lens.

 pdelux's gear list:pdelux's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +6 more
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,430
Removed my post

northlondon43 wrote:

Jeff wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

Hi all

I have both of the above and am thinking about whether to keep the former now I have the latter. I realise that there are various factors to consider, eg IQ, weight, size, but what I'm specifically interested in is their relative light gathering capabilities (for low light situations). I've tried reading various articles on this but frankly am no further forward. I won't pretend that I'm well versed on the technical side of things so I would appreciate a simple explanation if that's possible.

Thanks in anticipation

I have the Oly 17/1.2 and very pleased. It's a workhorse.

I've also been thinking hard about the Fuji X100v, but not as a direct replacement or alternative. The beauty of x100v, I think, is the leaf shutter, very high flash sync, and built-in ND filters. There's just a lot of functionality in a small device that neither the 17/1.2 or the smartphone in my pocket can cover. Things like evening shots, daylight fill flash, something to carry with on walks, etc.

I've considered the Leica Q2, which looks fantastic, but it seems larger and therefore less likely to carry along on walks, and frankly the 28mm perspective is just to much like my iPhone to feel like I'm adding new function to my kit. Then there is the cost.

I'd love to hear more from mFT shooters that might also be using a fixed lens camera like the Fuji.

I understand your dilemma but your reply doesn't address my question, thank you

-- hide signature --

--

Jeff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jck_photos/sets/

 Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
Coldpaw Regular Member • Posts: 475
Re: Olympus 17mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm x100v f2

I bought the X100V a few months ago and use it along my MFT kit, which consists of the Pen-F and too many lenses than I need.

While the Pen-F with the 17 1.8 is fairly compact, it is not weather sealed at all, in addition I have been interested in the Fujifilm X-System since about a year or two. I originally wanted to buy an used X-Pro camera, however changed my mind for similar reasons like you:

The X100V is fairly compact, can easily made weather resistent, which relates to a near perfect "always with me" kind of camera. In addition it essentially features many things you'll find on the higher-end X-cameras, for example it shares the same viewfinder module with the X-Pro3. The hybrid viewfinder was one of the reasons which intrigued me, alongside a higher quality EVF compared to the Pen-F. I have to say though, the EVF didn't blew me away, it is better, but I expected more. The OVF on the other hand is nice and, especially when it gets darker, is easier on my eyes compared to the EVF.

The controls are pretty nice, although I have to admit I rarely use all the dials for full manual control and rather shoot in "A"-mode, controlling the aperture on the nicely clicked ring on the lens is good and I prefer it that way compared to a simple front or rear dial. Shutterspeed is set to auto, same with ISO most of the time. Besides a fully customizable "My Menu", which is always selected if you press the button, you can also fully customize the Q-Menu, which is kind of the counterpart to Olympus' Super Control Panel.

In terms of performance the camera is good, it focuses more reliable in darker situations than my Pen-F with fast primes. It has a build-in 4-stop ND filter, which can either be assigned to a button, to a menu or enabled by holding the front lever. The filter comes in pretty handy. The shutter is near silent, the camera even has a digital shutter sound enabled by default, even for the mechanical shutter, it is that silent. When you are using certain image quality settings, which effect JPG quality, the camera can slow down in performance and image processing times quite a bit, the problem is common however even on other X-Trans IV cameras like the X-T4. "Clarity" is propably the most ressource hungry setting which slows down the refresh rate of the display and makes burst shooting almost impossible.

For me the purchase was worth it: First it fulfills it's role very, very well. It is a bit lighter and a bit more compact than my Pen-F, it is weather sealed, so as a daily camera it really ticks all my boxes. Of course having a fixed lens can be limiting, on the other hand it really caters to the "travel light"-mantra and also can boost creativity in order to make the most of the limited FL. Besides the camera gave me a good impression about the X-System, the features and basic controls. The most annoying thing is RAW processing: My go to software, DXO, doesn't support X-Trans at all, so I have to use other software in these regards. I actually wanted to shoot more sooc jpg only with the X100, however while the quality is good, I still rarely get ooc photos the way I'd like.
Like you I also had a look at the Leica Q2, however I quickly discarded it due to: Price, the Q2 is a lot more expensive. Size, the Q2 barely qualifies as a compact or light camera. Last but not least I am not much a fan of the 28mm FL.

Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,430
Re: Of course …
1

red pencil wrote:

Of course it's good to learn thru first hand experience. There's no reason that should preclude asking questions here. That after all is supposed to be what a place like this is about.

As for ignore why bother with the forum better to take the good with the bad and there are great tips even within the arguments

Low tolerance for rude people. Disagree, have a different point of view, etc., etc., but do it in a civil manner. Otherwise I prefer to not converse.

Sure ask but the OP has been a bit curt to some posters and their responses, best left to wallow in his own dilemma

Indeed. This could have been a good thread.

 Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
George1958 Senior Member • Posts: 1,404
Re: Olympus 17mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm x100v f2

it really comes down to looking at some comparative results and satisfying yourself which you feel best meets your needs. Far simpler than a discussion on specifications, and for that matter they are not interchangeable mounts, so the one you keep will be your low light shooter with that angle of view.

 George1958's gear list:George1958's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sigma SD15 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sigma sd Quattro Olympus E-M1 II +6 more
kaphinga
kaphinga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,632
Re: Olympus 17mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm x100v f2

Jeff wrote:

I've also been thinking hard about the Fuji X100v, but not as a direct replacement or alternative. The beauty of x100v, I think, is the leaf shutter, very high flash sync, and built-in ND filters. There's just a lot of functionality in a small device that neither the 17/1.2 or the smartphone in my pocket can cover. Things like evening shots, daylight fill flash, something to carry with on walks, etc.

I'd love to hear more from mFT shooters that might also be using a fixed lens camera like the Fuji.

I got an X100V a couple of weeks ago.  Like you, I was interested in the flash possibilities with a leaf shutter.  Oddly enough, that's one of the few features I haven't tried yet.

Although I don't have the 17mm f/1.2, I imagine that the shooting experience would be vastly different from the X100V.  I *do* have the 17mm f/1.8, and the X100 experience is very different.  I am not quite sure how to describe it.  It's almost as if the camera begs to go out with you every time you leave the house.  There is no one feature that stands out; rather, it's the way all the features work together. It's a very, very straightforward shooting experience where I concentrate a lot more on the image than on the camera.

On the other hand, of course, you are stuck with one focal length, which can be both a blessing and a curse.

By the way, I still find the EM5.2 and EM5.3 a little bit more comfortable in my hands.  But, then again, I have really small hands.

The X100 isn't a replacement for my m4/3 gear. It's just a different experience.

-- hide signature --

Marie

 kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X100V Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Apple iPhone 11 Pro
WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,433
Re: Because …

jwilliams wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

These are so different…That I do not think a comparison of their light gathering capabilities is really the point at all. The shooting experience, the handling experience, the carry experience, the whole point of both, other than roughly the same FOV (and even then the aspect ratio is different), is so completely different.

if all I cared about was low light, AF, and Technical IQ (Corner sharpness, Vignetting, etc) the Oly is better (At least on a modern m43 body), but the x100 has just a whole different point to it’s existence.

Hi. The comparison is the point for me , hence the post.

The comparison makes no practical sense but the answer is the Oly.

In what way doesn't it make sense? It's a technical question that I simply asked for a non technical answer. Why is it so difficult on this forum to get an answer without people like you making it into an argument?

Because many here aren't interested in helping anyone understand photography. Been that way for a long time unfortunately.

My answer was about expanding understanding, in terms of how these two lenses are very different.

Also, you committed the unforgivable sin (to many) of asking about cross platform comparisons. To talk about any other format is blasphemy to many here.

none of my answer fell into the “sins” you mention. Others had already answered OPs specific question, so while I answered it (see my second paragraph in the first answer) the details and math had already been covered by others.

Just learn who to ignore. There is an 'ignore user' function (under 'more options') that will block viewing someone's replies unless you choose otherwise. I use it liberally on this forum.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Jonathan, your point is well taken about the ignore list, and I will certainly put you on mine.

 WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 6,182
Re: Because …

WT21 wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

These are so different…That I do not think a comparison of their light gathering capabilities is really the point at all. The shooting experience, the handling experience, the carry experience, the whole point of both, other than roughly the same FOV (and even then the aspect ratio is different), is so completely different.

if all I cared about was low light, AF, and Technical IQ (Corner sharpness, Vignetting, etc) the Oly is better (At least on a modern m43 body), but the x100 has just a whole different point to it’s existence.

Hi. The comparison is the point for me , hence the post.

The comparison makes no practical sense but the answer is the Oly.

In what way doesn't it make sense? It's a technical question that I simply asked for a non technical answer. Why is it so difficult on this forum to get an answer without people like you making it into an argument?

Because many here aren't interested in helping anyone understand photography. Been that way for a long time unfortunately.

My answer was about expanding understanding, in terms of how these two lenses are very different.

Also, you committed the unforgivable sin (to many) of asking about cross platform comparisons. To talk about any other format is blasphemy to many here.

none of my answer fell into the “sins” you mention. Others had already answered OPs specific question, so while I answered it (see my second paragraph in the first answer) the details and math had already been covered by others.

Just learn who to ignore. There is an 'ignore user' function (under 'more options') that will block viewing someone's replies unless you choose otherwise. I use it liberally on this forum.

Jonathan, your point is well taken about the ignore list, and I will certainly put you on mine.

Who said I was talking about you?  I made general statements to help the OP understand the nature of this place.  I stand by all my statements and didn't direct them towards any individual.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

northlondon43
OP northlondon43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,810
Re: Because …

jwilliams wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

WT21 wrote:

These are so different…That I do not think a comparison of their light gathering capabilities is really the point at all. The shooting experience, the handling experience, the carry experience, the whole point of both, other than roughly the same FOV (and even then the aspect ratio is different), is so completely different.

if all I cared about was low light, AF, and Technical IQ (Corner sharpness, Vignetting, etc) the Oly is better (At least on a modern m43 body), but the x100 has just a whole different point to it’s existence.

Hi. The comparison is the point for me , hence the post.

The comparison makes no practical sense but the answer is the Oly.

In what way doesn't it make sense? It's a technical question that I simply asked for a non technical answer. Why is it so difficult on this forum to get an answer without people like you making it into an argument?

Because many here aren't interested in helping anyone understand photography. Been that way for a long time unfortunately.

Also, you committed the unforgivable sin (to many) of asking about cross platform comparisons. To talk about any other format is blasphemy to many here.

Just learn who to ignore. There is an 'ignore user' function (under 'more options') that will block viewing someone's replies unless you choose otherwise. I use it liberally on this forum.

Good points, thank you

-- hide signature --

Adrian
An amateur, atheist, alliterationist

 northlondon43's gear list:northlondon43's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro +4 more
bluevellet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,701
Re: Olympus 17mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm x100v f2
1

northlondon43 wrote:

Hi all

I have both of the above and am thinking about whether to keep the former now I have the latter. I realise that there are various factors to consider, eg IQ, weight, size, but what I'm specifically interested in is their relative light gathering capabilities (for low light situations). I've tried reading various articles on this but frankly am no further forward. I won't pretend that I'm well versed on the technical side of things so I would appreciate a simple explanation if that's possible.

Thanks in anticipation

Oly 17mm for total light gathering.

Fuji for more compact overall dimensions.

 bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Nikon Z6 Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +14 more
northlondon43
OP northlondon43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,810
Re: Of course …

Jeff wrote:

red pencil wrote:

Of course it's good to learn thru first hand experience. There's no reason that should preclude asking questions here. That after all is supposed to be what a place like this is about.

As for ignore why bother with the forum better to take the good with the bad and there are great tips even within the arguments

Low tolerance for rude people. Disagree, have a different point of view, etc., etc., but do it in a civil manner. Otherwise I prefer to not converse.

Sure ask but the OP has been a bit curt to some posters and their responses, best left to wallow in his own dilemma

Indeed. This could have been a good thread.

In fairness Jeff I admit some of my responses have been brief, but only because they weren't addressing my question so I couldn't see the point of further comment.

There were a couple of responses that were genuinely trying to answer my question and I thanked them for it.

Why other people feel the need to be sarcastic about my genuine, with what i thought was a fairly simple, narrow question is beyond me. But there you go. I certainly won't bother again.

-- hide signature --

Adrian
An amateur, atheist, alliterationist

 northlondon43's gear list:northlondon43's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro +4 more
red pencil Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: Of course …

I would keep both as they can fulfill  different roles but then I am still primarily a film shooter

I chase light and colour  with my Leica m and 35mm combination and chase deep DOF high contrast black and white with my Pen F 17mm f1.8 combination.

Remember as someone mentioned processing apps and  fuji can be a bit of a pain depending on one’s workflow.  To me basing  a decision on light gathering may not be in the best interests.

Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,430
Re: Of course …
2

northlondon43 wrote:

Jeff wrote:

red pencil wrote:

Of course it's good to learn thru first hand experience. There's no reason that should preclude asking questions here. That after all is supposed to be what a place like this is about.

As for ignore why bother with the forum better to take the good with the bad and there are great tips even within the arguments

Low tolerance for rude people. Disagree, have a different point of view, etc., etc., but do it in a civil manner. Otherwise I prefer to not converse.

Sure ask but the OP has been a bit curt to some posters and their responses, best left to wallow in his own dilemma

Indeed. This could have been a good thread.

In fairness Jeff I admit some of my responses have been brief, but only because they weren't addressing my question so I couldn't see the point of further comment.

There were a couple of responses that were genuinely trying to answer my question and I thanked them for it.

Why other people feel the need to be sarcastic about my genuine, with what i thought was a fairly simple, narrow question is beyond me. But there you go. I certainly won't bother again.

Great, that's what Google is for.

 Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
e4rauzer New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Olympus 17mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm x100v f2

This thread may be of interest to you:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63616690

northlondon43
OP northlondon43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,810
Re: Olympus 17mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm x100v f2

bluevellet wrote:

northlondon43 wrote:

Hi all

I have both of the above and am thinking about whether to keep the former now I have the latter. I realise that there are various factors to consider, eg IQ, weight, size, but what I'm specifically interested in is their relative light gathering capabilities (for low light situations). I've tried reading various articles on this but frankly am no further forward. I won't pretend that I'm well versed on the technical side of things so I would appreciate a simple explanation if that's possible.

Thanks in anticipation

Oly 17mm for total light gathering.

Fuji for more compact overall dimensions.

Many thanks.

-- hide signature --

Adrian
An amateur, atheist, alliterationist

 northlondon43's gear list:northlondon43's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro +4 more
northlondon43
OP northlondon43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,810
Re: Olympus 17mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm x100v f2
1
  1. e4rauzer wrote:

This thread may be of interest to you:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63616690

Cheers for that. An interesting, relevant article.

-- hide signature --

Adrian
An amateur, atheist, alliterationist

 northlondon43's gear list:northlondon43's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads