Major flash flood in Zion Jun 29th. Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,898
Major flash flood in Zion Jun 29th.
 Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 5,420
Re: Major flash flood in Zion Jun 29th.

Nature is crazy. A year's worth of rain all in 30 minutes, in the middle of the worst driest drought in the history of the world.

I hope this was localized enough that it didn't catch anyone in any slot canyons.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 22,318

mfinley wrote:

Nature is crazy. A year's worth of rain all in 30 minutes, in the middle of the worst driest drought in the history of the world.

I hope this was localized enough that it didn't catch anyone in any slot canyons.

"History of the world"!!

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Jon62 Regular Member • Posts: 142

Hope everyone is okay and everything gets back to normal soon.

Hiked and photographed a lot of trails a couple of years ago.

Great place and people….

Jon62's gear list:Jon62's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 12,055

Gary from Seattle wrote:

Many roads and parking areas closed and a great deal of clean-up.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2021/06/29/cdr-worst-ive-ever-seen-flash-flood-spreads-mud-through-springdale-closes-zion/#.YN26TRNKijg

this is a click bait site!!!!

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

brucet
brucet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,891

mfinley wrote:

"in the middle of the worst driest drought in the history of the world." Where did you get that from? I would suggest you check your information before making silly statements like that. Or at least quantifying them.

-- hide signature --

I thought I made a mistake once. But I was wrong!
https://500px.com/brucetreloar
https://www.brucetreloar.blogspot.com.au

brucet's gear list:brucet's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 2,195

-and without hyperbole, I can say this is a million times worse.- Kent Brockman

It makes the story fun. We are having a drought that is in the news. No harm done.

I keep going to places that I think are going to have huge floods(I'm kind of a weather chaser) but I'm never in the right place.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
mfinley

brucet wrote:

mfinley wrote:

"in the middle of the worst driest drought in the history of the world." Where did you get that from? I would suggest you check your information before making silly statements like that. Or at least quantifying them.

Where did you get it from that we are not? Please check your info before doubting the fantastic gems of information I share

whatever you do, do not start your search here https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hyperbole

-- hide signature --
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,823

Such flash floods are normal for that part of the country.  Rain comes in a small number of storms each year.  How do you think those beautiful canyons form?  By gentle rain dropping for days?

brucet

mfinley wrote:

brucet wrote:

mfinley wrote:

Where did you get it from that we are not? Please check your info before doubting the fantastic gems of information I share

whatever you do, do not start your search here https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hyperbole

Because it's nonsense  information. It very rarely rains in the Antarctic. Parts of Australia and Africa never see rain. And other areas.

And "history of the world". Phsst. Who has been around long enough to record the data.

This is a photography forums and not the place to argue about silly claims.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
bflood Senior Member • Posts: 2,167

The amount of rain in this case is unremarkable - about 1 inch total in about 1 hour.

But the reality is that most of the rain, about 0.6 inches, fell in about 15 minutes.

The flooding is more the consequence of geology than meteorology. Most of the country has soil that has been rained on hard for millenia - all the loose sand/gravel washed away a very long time ago. That leaves a soil surface that copes pretty well with an inch of rain in an hour.

A desert, OTOH, hasn't been rained on much, and only a fraction of the rain it gets is hard rain. The surface soil is sand and gravel, and is easily washed away by a high rainfall rate like 0.6 inches in 15 minutes. Even the best efforts of road building departments using their best compacting techniques can't build a road in the southwest that can't be washed out fairly easily. And that's what happened in Zion. Springdale's experience demonstrates another characteristic - the fine grain sand/gravel doesn't allow much absorption, so most of the rain will be runoff - like down the streets of Springdale and into the town hall. Whoever thought that building the town hall at an elevation below the main street probably now understands the error in that idea.

bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
mfinley

brucet wrote:

mfinley wrote:

brucet wrote:

mfinley wrote:

Because it's nonsense information. It very rarely rains in the Antarctic. Parts of Australia and Africa never see rain. And other areas.

And "history of the world". Phsst. Who has been around long enough to record the data.

I agree, but you stump us all since you're the one who decided to argue about it. Along with the link to hyperbole, I will post one for hypocrite if you would like?

-- hide signature --
mfinley

bflood wrote:

The amount of rain in this case is unremarkable - about 1 inch total in about 1 hour.

But the reality is that most of the rain, about 0.6 inches, fell in about 15 minutes.

The flooding is more the consequence of geology than meteorology. Most of the country has soil that has been rained on hard for millenia - all the loose sand/gravel washed away a very long time ago. That leaves a soil surface that copes pretty well with an inch of rain in an hour.

A desert, OTOH, hasn't been rained on much, and only a fraction of the rain it gets is hard rain. The surface soil is sand and gravel, and is easily washed away by a high rainfall rate like 0.6 inches in 15 minutes. Even the best efforts of road building departments using their best compacting techniques can't build a road in the southwest that can't be washed out fairly easily. And that's what happened in Zion. Springdale's experience demonstrates another characteristic - the fine grain sand/gravel doesn't allow much absorption, so most of the rain will be runoff - like down the streets of Springdale and into the town hall. Whoever thought that building the town hall at an elevation below the main street probably now understands the error in that idea.

We just got 3 inches of rain in 30 minutes in some isolated areas of Denver, caused flooding and havok, sh*t happens, nature does what she wants, man builds roads, bridges, and structures in places that nature puts a bullseye on. Sometimes they get by unscathed, sometimes they get jacked up. This is why we have surveying designating flood planes and stuff called 100 year, 500 year, and 1000 year floods. Zion was founded in 1919, so historically all the records for the place could only have data for a 100-year storm/flood, and mankind and engineers don't know exactly what a 100-year flood is exactly in an area until it happens. Wait till the 500 year one comes along.

-- hide signature --
brucet

mfinley wrote:

brucet wrote:

mfinley wrote:

brucet wrote:

mfinley wrote:

Because it's nonsense information. It very rarely rains in the Antarctic. Parts of Australia and Africa never see rain. And other areas.

I agree, but you stump us all since you're the one who decided to argue about it. Along with the link to hyperbole, I will post one for hypocrite if you would like?

Yeah what ever floats your boat.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads