GX9 - portraits & landscapes

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
OP LancashireLisa Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: GX9 - portraits & landscapes

Cheers RH! Much appreciated!

Thanks Andrew.

I think what I am trying to achieve is more detail in lower light. I just love Autumn & Winter when the sunlight is weaker & it just feels more atmospheric.

I'd also like to start taking more portraits of people & would hate to lose detail.

You know Andrew, I probably shouldn't say this on here but *whispers* I don't shoot in RAW & I don't bracket either - I rarely have a tripod with me. I do some light post processing (in the first image there's none).

I haven't had chance to go through everyone's responses, people have offered such a lot of helpful advice but I will & make some notes. I feel like I'm on an exciting journey with photography, learning all the time!

Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,101

LancashireLisa wrote:

I'd also like to start taking more portraits of people & would hate to lose detail.

Oftentimes a portrait can have TOO MUCH detail.

Just saying.

Also, the only survey I have seen regarding bokeh (one of the big points of shooting full frame) seems to demonstrate that it is overrated by photographers:

https://youtu.be/yp9UvIYyT70

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 8,854

LancashireLisa wrote:

Thanks Andrew.

I think what I am trying to achieve is more detail in lower light. I just love Autumn & Winter when the sunlight is weaker & it just feels more atmospheric.

You know Andrew, I probably shouldn't say this on here but *whispers* I don't shoot in RAW & I don't bracket either - I rarely have a tripod with me. I do some light post processing (in the first image there's none).

I haven't had chance to go through everyone's responses, people have offered such a lot of helpful advice but I will & make some notes. I feel like I'm on an exciting journey with photography, learning all the time!

You should shoot any way you want to.

Shadow recovery using FF works much better if you process from RAW. Also, a lot of the advantage of FF when you are shooting deeper DoF images like landscapes depends on longer exposures at base ISO, than you would shoot MFT handheld.

Some examples:

MFT handheld

MFT handheld

I’d argue that the shadow recovery in both of these fits the composition and neither requires ultimate detail to work. Being able to shoot handheld was essential in the context of a family outing.

FF on a tripod with a 5 exposure bracket

For me, this is not about detail - shot at f22 on FF - but about the sun star, which is a lens feature. An exposure bracket would be required with any body.

FF on a tripod with a 5 exposure bracket

There was a lot of shadow recovery in this shot and the bracket was required because the DR was more than the FF body could deliver. Having 5 shots and a tripod preserves the tonality and detail. The final result is close to what the eye could see. Untangled by Apple and DPR, the full image has good detail, and gradation in the reflections.

I’m not sure what you mean about losing detail in portraits, unless you do environmental shots.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +29 more
rcginswvegas New Member • Posts: 9

I have both G9 and GX9. GX9 is for walking around. G9 handles so much better and the EVF is amazing. For what you want to do the G9 would be much better.

rcginswvegas New Member • Posts: 9

42.5 f/1.7 is a highly rated lens no need for 1.2

8-18 or 10-25 for landscape

shinndigg Veteran Member • Posts: 4,433
Re: Just to be clear, m43rds...

Space the final frontier wrote:

shinndigg wrote:

...is perfectly capable of doing what you want, including your GX9. You don't NEED FF to do portrait photography. The most important part is you.

That being said, the 42.5, be it Panasonic or Noc would do the trick. Also consider the Sigma 56mm 1.4.

Here's an example from my ancient EM 1 mkI and a cheap TTArtisan 50mm 1.2

I concur that the TTArtisan 50 f/1.2 is indeed excellent. Factoring in the cost, the value is thru the roof. I also find that the OLD 16MP is still perfectly fine.

The more I use this lens, the more I love it... I just wish I had more opportunity to shoot portraits

-- hide signature --

shinndigg
www.pbase.com/shinndigg

shinndigg's gear list:shinndigg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +7 more
thelightwriter Contributing Member • Posts: 583

Have you tried using your camera's I.Dynamic settings? I usually leave it off in my GX85 and work on it in post but your situation sounds like what I. Dynamic was intended for. Also the GX9's HDR modes might be a helpful option.

thelightwriter's gear list:thelightwriter's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,292

S5 shadow recovery works darn well w/ Jpegs even!

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Thank you and thank you for the advice regarding the lenses, I've jotted them down.

This is useful to know. A few people have recommended the S5. It's primarily for stills, I'm not looking to shoot video.

Thanks for your responses!

Re: I have the answer to your question

Hi Hal, thanks for responding & sharing your experience with the S5.

I have made a note & will investigate further.

Many thanks Lisa

Hi, thanks for the insight into the A7RII. Interesting to find those issues out from someone who has owned one.

A few people have mentioned bracketing. I have never tried it, so I read up & try this.

Appreciate your thoughts re: FF and weddings.

All the best, Lisa

Re: If system size/weight/cost are not important to you, then ...

Thank you for your advice, I will take a look at the Olympus lens.

All the best, Lisa

Hello, thank you for sharing details of your lenses with me and links to your images. You've taken some beautiful images, they show how much detail you can catch.

I've noted down some lenses, really appreciate your time.

Thanks Lisa

Hi RH

This is such useful advice, thank you.

The first person who asked me I turned down, as I don't have the kit (or experience atm). I take a lot of photos where I work for events & have found that what I envisage will happen rarely does!

I agree on the assertiveness front, by nature I'm a quiet person but it's something I'm working on.

Thank you! Lisa

Cheers John!

Have noted your suggestions.

Many thanks, Lisa

I haven't tried either, it could help. I will investigate both over the summer before the darker months are upon us.

Many thanks, Lisa

Hi Andrew

Thanks for sharing your images, they're beautiful, & for talking me through your process. I have started to have a better understanding of why bracketing is used. I'm going to do some further reading off the back of that.

Really appreciate your time.

Thanks Lisa

softmarmotte
softmarmotte Veteran Member • Posts: 3,473

LancashireLisa wrote:

Hi Andrew

Thanks for sharing your images, they're beautiful, & for talking me through your process. I have started to have a better understanding of why bracketing is used. I'm going to do some further reading off the back of that.

Really appreciate your time.

Thanks Lisa

Lisa

Bracketing is almost essential in landscape photography. Below is one image from a bracket and the second is the 3 combined bracketed images. With the Oly OMD EM 1 ii but the same always applies with the GX9

I merge them in LR. It is very easy. Just a question of highlighting all 3 images and clicking merge

taking into the sun and blown highlights...

the under exposed 3rd bracket shot allowed me to 'recover' the sky

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads