GX9 - portraits & landscapes

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Pete_W
Pete_W Senior Member • Posts: 1,748
Re: Panasonic S5 - lenses?

rashid7 wrote:

Hi Pete, i'd be glad to give you my input.

Canon lenses do well Using MC21 adapter from Sigma. I've got the nifty 50, original 70-200f4, and a canon-mount Tamron 35f1.4, all of which do accurate eye-AF. AF is not fast, but not rediculously slow either. Acceptable!

My best travel lens is the kit 20-60.

My favorite lenses, in addition to the Tamron, are Sigmas: 35 & 65 f2 lenses are beauties, the smaller 35 being most versatile. The 100-400, though i don't use it much, is excellent. My 14-24f2.8 dg dn is truly a wonder! All 4 of these lenses are native to L-mount, designed for mirrorless, and plenty quick to focus.

I also have an above-average manual Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye; =excellent sharpness. My only disappointment so far has been Laowa 14f4. Also a manual Sam 14f2.8, which i returned.

I am looking forward to testing a Lumix 50f1.8 and the Sigma 105f2.8 macro Art(!) , both of which get stellar reviews.

Thanks rashid7! Good to hear about the fast focusing on the Sigma native L-mounts. And the prices look reasonable on these. I just looked at prices for a few Pany and Leica lenses - whoa!!!

-- hide signature --

Pete

Pete_W's gear list:Pete_W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic G95 +7 more
Redhenry Contributing Member • Posts: 642
Re: GX9 - portraits & landscapes

LancashireLisa wrote:

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Would you recommend some lenses to look at?

If I don't go to FF I'm considering the Panasonic12-35 & 35-100 as from what I can gather they would be better for landscapes than the 12-60 & the 35-100 could do portraits too. Possibly also the 42.5 for portraits & a 15mm or 17mm for landscapes (do you think?)

Since first posting I've had a couple of people ask if I do weddings. I haven't in the past but it's something I'd like to do, knowing I have the right kit!

Thank you kindly.

Hi Lisa,

Just a tip - if you do decide to do weddings, really do your homework. I've done a few and have disappointed two couples due to my poor preparation and inexperience. I got better, but after half a dozen, I decided that photographing weddings was just too stressful and wouldn't ever do another. I've also seen sets of wedding pictures which made my two less-than-stellar efforts look wonderful! A list of the 'essential shots' is a must, and don't be afraid to be assertive! Plenty of people on this website who are vastly more experienced than me, though.

Redhenry's gear list:Redhenry's gear list
Sony RX100 II Apple iPhone 13 Pro
Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,627

LancashireLisa wrote:

Hello

I posted the following on the equipment forum & someone suggest I post it here too. People have been really helpful so far, so thank you!

I have a Lumix GX9 with kit 12-60 & a Lumix 25mm 1.7.

I take mainly landscapes, city scapes & architecture. People seem to like what I do as I've sold a few prints. I would also like to start taking more portraits & continue taking landscapes. Many of the landscapes I enjoy taking are early in the morning at sunrise or sunset/late afternoon in Autumn & Winter.

At work I use a trusty Canon 650d to take photos of people & events. I work in a school so I'm busy.

I considered buying a Nocticron 42.5 for my Lumix to take more portraits (although after reading people's advice on the other forum the Lumix 42.5 or 35-100 may fulfil my needs).

I like the Lumix GX9 as I am regularly on my bike/walk but I find it loses details in the shadows, which is frustrating. Then I thought why not buy a better landscape lens for it. Then I thought why not update my whole home system & upgrade to full frame to capture more detailed landscapes.

The full frame systems I am particularly interested in & could possibly stretch to financially or save for would be

Sony A7RII

Canon 5dmiii

& then I would like good lenses for landscape & portrait.

I received lots of helpful answers on the other forum & wanted to find out about -

Great lenses for landscapes (shooting in low light) for the GX9.

Great lenses for portraits for the GX9.

Or if you think it may be better investing in FF ?

Many thanks to you all! Lisa

I see you have the Sony a7R II camera on your short list. it does do very well in terms of landscapes (as far as the examples I have seen).

Another possibility would be the a7 III or the a7 C (although I admit that I am worried by the reported shutter issues with the a7 III).

There are lots of great lenses for the a7 III / a7 C / a7R II as well.

I shoot architecture for a living and have taken thousands of photos of architecture / real estate with my crop sensor Sony a6500 and 10-18 lens and it has been a great lightweight setup. It has excellent shadow recovery in RAW.

However, for landscape photos, if you can bracket your photos and either blend by hand or use luminosity masks, you COULD end up saving a whole lot of money and weight by purchasing cameras with a smaller sensor and just doing some post processing.

On the other hand, for low light event shooting (like weddings) where you won't have the ability to bracket photos, a bigger sensor could really come in handy.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 4,706

maggiemole wrote:

LancashireLisa wrote:

Hi Barry

Thanks for your message. The GFX50R looks a spectacular camera but it is out of my price range at the moment.

Perhaps, like someone has suggested, I need to post some photos so people can take a look. As you say a tripod may help.

I've taken some terrific photos with my current set up but in certain circumstances I feel a little frustrated. For example, I was invited to an exhibition launch where it wouldn't have been ideal to take a tripod. I attended with my camera, the light wasn't low but it wasn't the best - I was taking some photos & the chap next to me was snapping away on the latest iPhone. On the small screens his images looked lighter & brighter. Granted I wasn't comparing them at home on my PC. Perhaps a faster lens with a larger aperture would've worked better than my kit 12-60.

Anyway thank you, when I'm next on my PC I will share some images.

Much appreciated, Lisa

A fast lens is primarily about depth of field rather than light gathering. If you’re not getting enough light at the most open aperture, try slowing your shutter speed . It’s a lot cheaper than an f2.8 lens.

There's a limit to how low you can take the shutter speed. An f/1.2 lens still gathers 2.5 stops more light than an f/2.8 lens (and similar contrasts for slower vs f/2.8), so you can use a shutter speed 5.4x as fast. That could really be the different between getting the shot, and not.

If you're not shooting anything too close, the depth of field is pretty irrelevant.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
kcdogger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,532

LancashireLisa wrote:

If I don't go to FF I'm considering the Panasonic12-35 & 35-100 as from what I can gather they would be better for landscapes than the 12-60 & the 35-100 could do portraits too. Possibly also the 42.5 for portraits & a 15mm or 17mm for landscapes (do you think?)

Since first posting I've had a couple of people ask if I do weddings. I haven't in the past but it's something I'd like to do, knowing I have the right kit!

Thank you kindly.

Lisa -  I think the lenses you mentioned above are excellent for the GX9.  For portrait work the PL42.5 or better yet, the Sigma 56 f1.4.  I think the 42.5 Noc is overkill - and expensive - when either of the other two will do just as well.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +24 more
rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,402

kcdogger wrote:

LancashireLisa wrote:

Thank you kindly.

Lisa - I think the lenses you mentioned above are excellent for the GX9. For portrait work the PL42.5 or better yet, the Sigma 56 f1.4. I think the 42.5 Noc is overkill - and expensive - when either of the other two will do just as well.

Peace.

John

Agreed!  42.5 if you need dual IS, and 'tinyness'

But i think the 56 may give u an IQ boost, and you don't want to use slow-slow shutter w/ people pix

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

maggiemole Senior Member • Posts: 1,817

Barry Twycross wrote:

maggiemole wrote:

LancashireLisa wrote:

Hi Barry

Thanks for your message. The GFX50R looks a spectacular camera but it is out of my price range at the moment.

Perhaps, like someone has suggested, I need to post some photos so people can take a look. As you say a tripod may help.

I've taken some terrific photos with my current set up but in certain circumstances I feel a little frustrated. For example, I was invited to an exhibition launch where it wouldn't have been ideal to take a tripod. I attended with my camera, the light wasn't low but it wasn't the best - I was taking some photos & the chap next to me was snapping away on the latest iPhone. On the small screens his images looked lighter & brighter. Granted I wasn't comparing them at home on my PC. Perhaps a faster lens with a larger aperture would've worked better than my kit 12-60.

Anyway thank you, when I'm next on my PC I will share some images.

Much appreciated, Lisa

A fast lens is primarily about depth of field rather than light gathering. If you’re not getting enough light at the most open aperture, try slowing your shutter speed . It’s a lot cheaper than an f2.8 lens.

There's a limit to how low you can take the shutter speed. An f/1.2 lens still gathers 2.5 stops more light than an f/2.8 lens (and similar contrasts for slower vs f/2.8), so you can use a shutter speed 5.4x as fast. That could really be the different between getting the shot, and not.

If you're not shooting anything too close, the depth of field is pretty irrelevant.

Oh, I agree, Barry. But I was thinking about where the OP started which was losing details in the shadows in her landscape photography. There was no indication that this was shooting at night or anywhere close in terms of low light overall. So it seems to me that an f1.2 lens doesn’t solve that problem, and most landscapes with their shadow and highlight content are happy at f5.6. And landscapes don’t generally have any need for shallow DoF, as you point out.

But it does feel as if the purpose of the original question has been diverted, introducing weddings and portraits, and I no longer know what the OP is looking for. My GX9 with the kit 12-60 gives excellent all-round performance (and I mostly shoot landscapes with it), and I am happy to deal with obstinate shadow detail problems in post.

maggiemole's gear list:maggiemole's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Mark Thornton Veteran Member • Posts: 4,341

thelightwriter wrote:

the GX85 but I like how my E-M10 III and E-M1 II handle low light noise better than how the GX85 does. My GX85 low light noise looks harsher.

I think the GX9 sensor is significantly different to the GX85 in low light performance. It is allegedly a Sony sensor whereas the GX85 is Panasonic. In particular the maximum exposure time is much longer (30 minutes instead of 2 if I recall correctly).

Mark

Mark Thornton's gear list:Mark Thornton's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +6 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 9,502

I shot an A7R2 alongside MFT for a while and recently upgraded to an A7R4 for better weathersealing and AF etc.

The A7R2 is an excellent landscape and portrait camera, especially if you are happy with the DoF control of an FF f2.8 lens or f1.4 MFT lens.  It has a few weaknesses - weathersealing of the battery compartment, sluggish shooting bursts and short battery life in cold weather.  The range of FE lenses is at least as wide as MFT ones, but shifted towards heavier and more expensive but high performing lenses.

The 5Dmkiii sensor is way behind the Sony - landscape shooters were leaving Canon when the A7R2 came out.

I’d be perfectly happy shooting portraits with my EM1.2 and some of the lenses people mentioned.  I don’t know how good IS is on the GX9 and whether you use a tripod.  The EM1.2 is my go to landscape camera for handheld shots especially in bad weather.

Andrew

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +29 more
OP LancashireLisa Junior Member • Posts: 37

Thanks Andrew, this is useful advice.

Re: Just to be clear, m43rds...

Beautiful portrait.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

So, here is an image I am happy with, taken one evening this week with the GX9 & 12-60 kit.

GX9 WITH 12-60 KIT

Here is another I'm happy with but it gives you an idea of the time of day I prefer to shoot

Gx9 with 12-60 kit

Then there's these...don't know, what do you think? Have they lost detail in lower light.

Shot with GX9 & 12-60 KIT

Shot with GX9 & 12-60 kit

Thanks Lisa

rashid7

LancashireLisa wrote:

So, here is an image I am happy with, taken one evening this week with the GX9 & 12-60 kit.

GX9 WITH 12-60 KIT

Here is another I'm happy with but it gives you an idea of the time of day I prefer to shoot

Gx9 with 12-60 kit

Then there's these...don't know, what do you think? Have they lost detail in lower light.

Thanks Lisa

these are terriffic Lisa

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Redhenry Contributing Member • Posts: 642

Lovely!

RH

Redhenry's gear list:Redhenry's gear list
Sony RX100 II Apple iPhone 13 Pro
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 9,502

Lisa

You have a great eye!

I don't think your compositions depend on detail.  So, what do you think you want to achieve with additional gear?

I'm assuming that you process from RAW, ETTR and bracket when appropriate.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +29 more
Space the final frontier Senior Member • Posts: 1,145
Re: Just to be clear, m43rds...

shinndigg wrote:

...is perfectly capable of doing what you want, including your GX9. You don't NEED FF to do portrait photography. The most important part is you.

That being said, the 42.5, be it Panasonic or Noc would do the trick. Also consider the Sigma 56mm 1.4.

Here's an example from my ancient EM 1 mkI and a cheap TTArtisan 50mm 1.2

I concur that the TTArtisan 50 f/1.2 is indeed excellent. Factoring in the cost, the value is thru the roof. I also find that the OLD 16MP is still perfectly fine.

Space the final frontier's gear list:Space the final frontier's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +15 more
Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 2,060
I have the answer to your question

I take mostly landscapes and sports.  After a great deal of agonizing, I bought the S5 when they had the great introductory offer.  My thoughts were:  the camera body was the same size as my G9, the menu system and ergonomics were the same as my G9, and I would be able to try full frame.  I am not in any way trying to denigrate the G9.  It is a magnificent camera but the files from the S5 area joy to work with in post processing.  It is my G9 and more.  The answer to your question is the S5.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EOS M6 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +3 more
rashid7
Re: I have the answer to your question

Dr Hal wrote:

I take mostly landscapes and sports. After a great deal of agonizing, I bought the S5 when they had the great introductory offer. My thoughts were: the camera body was the same size as my G9, the menu system and ergonomics were the same as my G9, and I would be able to try full frame. I am not in any way trying to denigrate the G9. It is a magnificent camera but the files from the S5 area joy to work with in post processing. It is my G9 and more. The answer to your question is the S5.

Hal

yes indeed!

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,627

While I have an S5 (and an S1) which I bought primarily for video use, I really can't say that for STILLS I would recommend them over my other cameras (like an aps-c size Sony a6500, nor over my old Nikon D750).

Unless one really wanted the fully articulating screen or the better IBIS.

But if one wanted to shoot video, then the S5 is a really strong camera.

But then one has to decide between the video codec and recording options / video image quality of the S5, or the  autofocus and lens selection of something like the Sony a7 III / a7 C.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more

Thank you so much Rashid!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads