Canon R versus R5

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Dragos Varovici New Member • Posts: 10
Canon R versus R5

The main decision point between Canon R versus R5 is the AF. I am not a wildlife shooter and not concerned at this moment with animal AF, but I would like to know how much worse is the AF on the R, as the price difference is huge.

Dragos Varovici's gear list:Dragos Varovici's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,694
Re: Canon R versus R5

Dragos Varovici wrote:

The main decision point between Canon R versus R5 is the AF. I am not a wildlife shooter and not concerned at this moment with animal AF, but I would like to know how much worse is the AF on the R, as the price difference is huge.

You asked a very similar question on the Canon R Mount forum and only got two answers, so don't expect too many here.

Quite frankly, if you aren't shooting wildlife, sports or action photography, I am not sure why you are asking about AF.  The Canon R AF is probably going to be fine for your needs.

AF is not the only difference between the R and R5 - resolution, shooting rates, video, IBIS, dynamic range and handling are some of the others.  Most of these are covered on this page of the review on this site.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 11,735

I think I would look to the reviews on sites like this to see how they assess the focus performance with a view to the particular needs you might have.  When you get to some of the YouTube "reviewers," again, there are competent, steady, consistent sources and some who thrive on controversy and/or superficial but quickly produced attention/click gathering videos.

I'd also be wary of forum discussions at times, they sometimes are hard to figure for context.  There might be what seems to be a consensus that "the focus on Camera A is awful, much worse than Camera B."  In isolation, that may be true, but it may be that Camera A is quite competent in focus, just B is incredible, or, the forum is pouncing on particular situations.

I don't follow Canon but do have and use Sony so can't tell from my experience how well either focus.   Perceived or experienced "problems" get a lot of discussion and argument.  It can be hard to pull the greater picture of how well something performs out of the noise of a "problem" discussion.  You'll likely get different search results if you search on "Canon R,"  "Canon R focus" and "Canon R focus problems."

beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,454

Dragos Varovici wrote:

probably not much worse.  I shoot wildlife with much older Canon M5 crop mirrorless but it misses some BIF shots

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

NowHearThis
NowHearThis Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228

Dragos Varovici wrote:

Let me solve your problem. Stop thinking in terms of worse, you'll always be let down if you start with negatives.  Is the Canon R's AF good?  Yes.  It the R5 better?  Yes.  Will you notice in S-AF, not on everything, both are dang quick.  The Eye AF will pickup at longer distances, but the cameras will lock focus super quick.  In C-AF the R5 will have a little advantage but if you aren't doing a lot of action it probably won't matter.

The Canon R would be fast enough for me and what I do Landscapes, travel, street, action, weddings, portraits, etc.  And I know this because I've done it with far lesser gear.

You have to decide if you need the extras the R5 bring to continuous focus and Eye-AF for people and animals.

-- hide signature --

NHT

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads