Where do you store your camera gear?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 5,885
Re: Where do you store your camera gear?

C Sean wrote:

Sorry if this been posted before.

So the question is how do you store your camera gear?

In my circumstances, as my camera collection became larger, my gear out grew my existing camera bags and I ended up buying even bigger bags as a result. However, I ended up using camera bags I no longer use in the field to store accessories and lenses.

The problem moving lenses or accessories from one bag to another, I ended up misplacing items. In fact I'm currently missing the following:

• Blower and Brush
  • Battery charger
  • Case containing SD cards.
  • A few Brand new SD cards

So what I'm now doing is a dedicated cupboard for camera accessories and just keep the lenses in their bags for now.

Camera bags are a terrible place to store gear.

I have shelves and labeled drawers and labeled storage bins.  In my office and in my basement.

And a lot of empty camera bags.

For each shoot, I gather the gear I need, and then pick a camera bag that will carry it, and load it up, and off we go.

Even if all of your gear would fit in one camera bag, you might not want to carry all of your gear with you.

I shoot events, so it's not just cameras and lenses, but lighting.

I shoot portraits, so it's also backdrops and even more lighting.

I shoot wildlife, so it's big lenses and tripods maybe some lighting.

I shoot video, so it's lights and mics and tripods and sliders and motion control and stabilizers.

I shoot timelapse, so it's tripods and sliders and motion control.

I use drones.

And on and on.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M5 II +16 more
arbeterfroyen Contributing Member • Posts: 602
"Everywhere" is under the category of "where"

Least used lives on my desk, next-on-deck used is on the coffee table as my go-to, whatever I used last is in my bag at the door until I swap it, one is on my work desk in another room because I'm fiddling with it. All my lenses are in a camera bag at my desk. None of my cameras live in a camera bag though, even my walking around bag is just an all purpose sling.

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,974

I think I have a well organized storage system, having a few drawers around my desk, and a specific space inside my storage room assigned for the gear of my hobby.

3 drawer for the straps, cleansing kits, batteries, chargers, cables, filter, cards, as well as others like table tripod, ball heads & other small items etc. 1/3 of a ceiling height cabinet inside my storage room has been allocated for my camera bags, tripod etc next to the spaces for my traveling/hiking gear.

I have a basic setup inside my most frequent used camera bag (a mini cleaning kit set, lens pouches, a pouch for fundamental accessory). When I am out for serious shooting, I shall pick the camera bag (easy to transfer the basic setup kits), the camera(s), the lenses, their batteries, the strap and also the required accessories. At the end of the day the gear will be detached and back to where they should be.

Except for the set of camera that will always on top of my desk, other cameras and lenses will be back to an auto dry cabinet.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic G85 +11 more
Pete Stavrakoglou Veteran Member • Posts: 8,313

I have a fully-finished and climate controlled storage room in my house.  If it had a window, it could be a bedroom.  I keep the gear from my two camera systems and bridge camera on a shelf rack.  On the shelf, I have some Ikea drawer dividers that I find to be excellent for keeping lenses and bodies in, along with some other gear like flashes.  I have two plastic storage "cabinets" that have four drawers in each that I keep all my miscellaneous stuff in like batteries, chargers, cables, etc.  Since I'll never find the perfect camera bag, I've collected more than a few over the years and keep them in some large storage totes on the top-shelf of the shelf rack.

-- hide signature --

My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Pete Stavrakoglou's gear list:Pete Stavrakoglou's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Sigma SD1 Merrill Canon EOS R Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +18 more
jayk0607 Regular Member • Posts: 147

Like OP, I used to leave my gears in camera bag but it was a hassle looking for gears I needed. So I bought a dry cabinet. Don't really need a dry cabinet here in San Diego but thought it was a neat way to organize and store gears.

jayk0607's gear list:jayk0607's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Olympus PEN E-P2 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +10 more
dmartin92
dmartin92 Senior Member • Posts: 2,310
Re: 14 years ago

14 years ago, I looked at my 4500 Euro Canon 1D mark 2, sitting on a table, and I said to myself, « if I was ever victim of a burglary, that would be gone ».

And I decided to hide it at the bottom of a large vertical laundry basket. One never knows.

Ten days later, for the first time in my life, and the only time in my life, I was victim of a burglary.

The thieves saw the 1D box, and they searched a bit, but they didn’t look at the bottom of the laundry basket.

I still have the 1D mark 2.

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,445

Big plastic box with a big bag of sillica gel which I dry out in a microwave from time to time.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 15,621
The Gear I Use Mostly

Top shelf is mostly history, but the external flash was in there, until I realised it does work with the E-M10s.

On the bottom shelf, the pocket zoom goes 12mm wide, and the built-in flash is strong enough for indoor fill-in - like on this occasion where I had 5 minutes advance warning:

Art gallery owner Carolyn, with buyer Sandra, with brass sculpture she just bought. The picture was approved by both ladies - within 3 hours of me taking it.

On the middle shelf, the E-M10s do mostly my stuff, which is usually not urgent:

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - E-M10 Mark II and Mark IV, SH-1, SH-50
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
Christi Dee Forum Member • Posts: 96

C Sean wrote:

In my circumstances, as my camera collection became larger, my gear out grew my existing camera bags and I ended up buying even bigger bags as a result. However, I ended up using camera bags I no longer use in the field to store accessories and lenses.

The problem moving lenses or accessories from one bag to another, I ended up misplacing items. In fact I'm currently missing the following:

• Blower and Brush
  • Battery charger

So what I'm now doing is a dedicated cupboard for camera accessories and just keep the lenses in their bags for now.

The simpler and less costly of both alternatives, the desiccant completely dry box is a sealed, impermeable box with silica gel (or something comparable). These are super, very easy to handle, and super inexpensive. In fact, you can also make your own. By utilizing something like a peli difficult situation and chucking in a few silica gel pouches, you're good to go. Many thanks to this and the reality that they do not need any electrical energy to function. They're really portable.

Naturally, if you keep the box open by a mishap or, simply through the truth, you keep needing to open it to obtain your equipment in and out, the box may well come to be saturated with wetness. You'll need to alter the desiccant inside regularly. Furthermore, there is no regulator or controller on these things.

lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 2,210

I have a plastic box that I put all the lens covers(I never use them) in. I have another for the macro extenders and adaptors. Another for paperwork. All that stuff goes in a tall glass cabinet. The lenses(with rear end covers) are lying about ready to grab. The camera bag holds the charged up batts, filters, night light ect. It's sitting right next to me. It's pretty stripped down. . It's the way I do everything. It's grab and go. It doesn't work for everyone and sometimes it doesn't work for me. I live in a desert humidity is about 10% It's not an issue.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 14,517
Dry Cabinet

I live in a humid tropical environment.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +52 more
Jack Calypso Contributing Member • Posts: 711

I stored things in various bags, and always had to hunt through (and for) them to find particular items.  I got a small chest of drawers from Sterilite. Smaller items sit in trays, which can be stacked. I plan to get some of that foam insert material to keep lenses and cameras from moving around when the drawers are opened and closed.

I'm still working and finding a good way to store tripods and light stands.

George Bond New Member • Posts: 5

C Sean wrote:

• Blower and Brush
  • Battery charger

So what I'm now doing is a dedicated cupboard for camera accessories and just keep the lenses in their bags for now

Yes I misplace items as well.

newnorm
newnorm Regular Member • Posts: 266

C Sean wrote:

• Blower and Brush
  • Battery charger

1 camera bag. Less is moreĀ 

-- hide signature --

“The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.” - Orson Welles

newnorm's gear list:newnorm's gear list
Apple iPhone 3G
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,041

All my gear (and I have a lot of gear) is in a big closet with a lot of shelves. It parks there until I load it into into whatever bag or bags I choose for that day or trip.

I have lost more batteries, chargers, SD cards, cables, lens caps, lens hoods, hot-shoe covers, flash attachments, and other little accessories than you can imagine.

But I've never lost a lens! However, I've dropped a lot of lenses.  Never lost or dropped a camera.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Fujifilm GF 100-200mm F5.6 +8 more
skysurfer5
skysurfer5 Contributing Member • Posts: 850
Re: 14 years ago

We were burgled about 9 years ago, by one or two kids. I know they were kids (and the sheriff agreed) because they left my DSLR and two lenses on my desk untouched, but took a 10-year-old Palm Pilot that didn't work out of the hutch above (I should have thrown it away). They also took about 14 pounds worth of pennies from my change jar. That's a lot of weight for little gain. They took a cheap metal shoe rack and a couple other nearly worthless items.

But, he/they also got some good stuff too, like my wife's laptop and some jewelry she hadn't put away. They also took a 1970's team-autographed St. Louis Cardinals baseball that had great sentimental value because the pitching coach was Billy Muffet, who was my dad's cousin's husband.  We met up with him at Candlestick for a Giants-Cards game.

After this event, I bought a three shelf locking steel storage cabinet like this one for my photo gear, laptop, and a couple other high-ticket items: https://www.officefurniture2go.com/product/LBA369/Counter-Height-Storage-Cabinet-by-Office-Source.aspx

Inside is a Lowepro Flipside 300 (an older model) with my most used kit, based around my Olympus E-M1.3, and a small bag with my Olympus E-M1.2 kit, which I mostly use for engineering project photos and sometimes as a second camera.  I also have various accessories, flashes, filters, etc. sorted into four wooden in-boxes.  I don't need a dry box because the humidity here is pretty low, even in winter.

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?'
…Winston S. Churchill

skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +18 more
Mister tee
Mister tee New Member • Posts: 13

C Sean wrote:

• Blower and Brush
  • Battery charger

I always try to eliminate unused equipment and only take what I need.   For years, I tried using several smaller bags.  Now I am trying one big Pelican roller box that holds most of my gear except a tripod, and pano equipment.   This works great except it weights 40 pounds.

It all depends on the mode of transportation.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 36,895

In a dry cabinet. https://edry.com.tw/product/MIT-auto-dry-box-fd82c

One lift-out tray for M4/3 bodies, another lift-out tray for M4/3 lenses and a third lift-out tray for compact cameras and odds and ends. Old gear in the bottom of the cabinet.

When a trip looms (remember those?) I assemble what I think I need into either of two bags used now, make sure all batteries are charged and all needed accessories assembled. It varies for every trip.

Awkward shot of my cabinet as it lives in a crowded room full of the usual junk collected over the years.

Runs off mains power and uses maybe 5 watts of power so costs very little to run.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads