Considering the Shimoda x30 or Peak Design Backpack

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
MikeNannie
MikeNannie Regular Member • Posts: 482
Considering the Shimoda x30 or Peak Design Backpack

I'm a Sony shooter and I'm looking for a new backpack / daypack. I am not an overnight backpacker, but I do plan on doing 2-3 hour backpack hikes from time to time and I need a way to carry my landscape / wildlife gear. This is what I plan to carry.

Camera: Sony a1
Tripod: Gitzo 1225 CF and RRS Ball Head

Lenses:
Sony 100-400 GM
Tamron 17-28 mm
Tamron 28-75 mm

Not always on hikes but nice to carry in the same bag while traveling.

Godox 860II Flash
HP Spectre 14t Laptop & charger

And related stuff - batteries, memory cards, chargers, strap, etc.

I'm considering the Shimoda x30 or the Peak Design 20L or 30L Everyday backpack.
Will my gear fit?
Anyone with experience using these bags?
Other suggestions?
Thanks

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a1 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
Fujifilm X30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DankCO
DankCO Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Considering the Shimoda x30 or Peak Design Backpack

Depending on how much you carry, I went with

TARION Camera Backpack Waterproof Camera Bag Large Capacity Camera Case with 15 Inch Laptop Compartment Rain Cover for Women Men Photographer Lens Tripod

for $40.00 it's been great. Spending a great deal of money on an accessory like a backpack or tripod, I learned my lesson early on. I paid over $500.00 for a Manfrotto tripod, then found out that to my dismay that I hated using it, The $120 off brand that I had been using was a little loose (why I bought the Manfrotto to begin with) I was so uncomfortable transporting and setting up Manfrotto that I went back and jury rigged my less expensive tripod and left a 500.00 collecting dust in the closet.

It all comes down to what is most comfortable and utilitarian for you. I shy away from products that offer features I know I have no need for now nor likely ever will.

Still waiting for them to invent a camera backpack with a built in keurig machine. A camera backpack that could also make a cup of coffee. Heavy sigh.

DankCO's gear list:DankCO's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina atx-i 100mm F2.8 FF Macro Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +2 more
SDreamer Junior Member • Posts: 46

Between those 2, I'd say the Shimoda will be the more comfortable. I've had the v1 of the Peak Design EDB 30L (FF probably need all the room you can get), and the harness system on the v2 is just a slight improvement, but not by much, especially the straps.  Also, the organization shelves can be lose on your gear because they're rigid shelves instead of moldable inserts). Shimoda has much beefier and wider straps, which should be much more comfortable and does seem to have more pockets for utility purposes, but it is more of a backpacking pack than an everyday type of carry.

If you're open to other suggestions, maybe take a look at WANDRD. I went from PD to WANDRD PRVKE because of comfort and it is a lot more noticable due to wider strap width lending to a more comfortable carry. Atlaspacks is another great pack for someone with a more backpacking centric focus. Looks like a need Athelete line is coming from them, and I tried them once and they were super comfortable, but at the same time, was backpacking centric so it had tons of straps I ended up gravitating away from them. Then there's always going with a hiking backpack with a TPM .

SDreamer's gear list:SDreamer's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +6 more
Jeff108 Regular Member • Posts: 146

Ive had Peak Design, The Shimoda X30 and Wandrd.  I love manythings about teh Peak Design company but I cant stand the backpacks.  First of all they were the most uncomfortable that Ive ever owned.  In addition, gear seems to move around alot.

I own the X30 and its amazing, very comfortable but quite large.  Shimoda just started a kickstarter today and the Explore V2.  If you can wait until September, that might be the way to go

Jeff108's gear list:Jeff108's gear list
Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Canon EOS R5 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +2 more
Kev The Doc Senior Member • Posts: 2,216
 Kev The Doc's gear list:Kev The Doc's gear list
DxO One Sony a6500 Sony a7R II Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +4 more
nhr5005 Junior Member • Posts: 32

I have no experience with Shimoda but I have the V1 PD everyday backpack, 20L version. I rather like the bag, it holds my DSLR w/ WA lens attached, 70-200, and one other lens, my filters, and a tripod pretty much at all times. The extra lens gets swapped out from time to time, and the top portion of the bag is usually empty (I can put, say, my lunch up there, or a water bottle, clothes, etc.), or if I take my drone with me it takes up most of what's left.

I've done some dayhiking with the PD bag and I have to say for longer than a few hours it starts to get uncomfortable--the shoulder straps are pretty hard and they start to dig in to your shoulders after a while. It's fine for quick jaunts around town or an hour or two, but long hikes when you're loaded with your gear, some extra layers, and water, it's a bit much. (For this case I would look for a dedicated hiking bag and find a way to put your camera in there--there's a good thread about this by the user "Chris 222").

nhr5005's gear list:nhr5005's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +4 more
cnyphotoguy Regular Member • Posts: 383

I was looking at the Shimoda x30 this past spring and ended up getting an F-Stop Ajna.  Very happy with the choice after a few hiking trips.

cnyphotoguy's gear list:cnyphotoguy's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS RP Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye +8 more
Malling Contributing Member • Posts: 624

Shimoda are fine for city, daypack and modest walk. Like any other camerabag (Excluding the Cosyspeed   Photohiker) these are not great for true hiking due to the backpanel system typically sits flat, meaning uneven pressure across the back, lack off or poor adjustability, also these have poor ventilation, weirdly shaped and often wrongly placed shoulder straps. But all those issues that can be a painful and problematic experience is not as problematic for your activity. But then some random bag with cube can do that as well.

cnyphotoguy Regular Member • Posts: 383

Malling wrote:

Shimoda are fine for city, daypack and modest walk. Like any other camerabag (Excluding the Cosyspeed Photohiker) these are not great for true hiking

I assume you mean true hiking as over night.  I would agree with that assessment.  I have now used my f-stop for 5-8 mile day hikes in +90* heat without any issues. The rear opening design worked perfect for what I wanted, found it comfortable on my shoulders/back and didn't find overly sweaty thought it did get damp from the sweat.

cnyphotoguy's gear list:cnyphotoguy's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS RP Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye +8 more
Malling Contributing Member • Posts: 624

cnyphotoguy wrote:

Malling wrote:

Shimoda are fine for city, daypack and modest walk. Like any other camerabag (Excluding the Cosyspeed Photohiker) these are not great for true hiking

I assume you mean true hiking as over night. I would agree with that assessment. I have now used my f-stop for 5-8 mile day hikes in +90* heat without any issues. The rear opening design worked perfect for what I wanted, found it comfortable on my shoulders/back and didn't find overly sweaty thought it did get damp from the sweat.

Yes overnight and long day hikes and/or more technical hikes…

6miles are about the limit I would personally want to hike with the better “hiking” camera bags, the day bags I have used I would never do even 5 miles with again, it really is no fun at all. I never understood why people accepted it and wanted to injure themselves doing so, camera gear can get rather heavy and you really should want the bag to transfer 80% (or so) to your hip, hardly any camera bag is able to do so convincingly. But OP demands it’s perfectly fine, and a more hiking style might be a bit of an overkill.

but I personally would have no desire to do a 10 and certainly not a 30miles day hike with any camera bag and I absolutely would not want to do overnight I simply don’t find the design to be fit for purpose.

MikeNannie
OP MikeNannie Regular Member • Posts: 482

I ended up buying the Shimoda x50 with the medium DSLR ICU and the small ICU. The large DSLR ICU is sold out everywhere otherwise I might have bought that instead.

I haven’t had the opportunity yet to really use it, but will in the next couple of weeks. We’ll see how well it works.

thanks everyone

I’m still looking for a shooter style bag. I can see situations where the backpack just isn’t a good option, so it’s main use for me will be outdoor hikes in the woods.

I've been searching online for a bag that will carry my unmounted Sony 100-400 GM and one other lens, either the Tamron 28-75 or Tamron 17-28. This is what I’d call a shooter bag, where I'm wearing the camera and one lens and I have a bag for the two that I'm not using. Ideally, I'd prefer a hip belt option vs a sling. I was really intrigued by the Think Tank Speed Racer 2, after Mark Galer mentioned it in a video, unfortunately it’s no longer available.

Most everything that I find online that will handle the 100-400 has been discontinued. Or, the bags available aren't deep enough to allow the storage of the 100-400 vertically. the 100-400 is about 9 inches long and 4.5 inches in diameter (or 5 inches with the tripod bracket).

The marketplace now seems focused on slings and messenger bags that hang on your shoulder. One option that might fit my needs is the Think Tank modular belt system.

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a1 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
tonyz1 Contributing Member • Posts: 627

MikeNannie wrote:

I ended up buying the Shimoda x50 with the medium DSLR ICU and the small ICU. The large DSLR ICU is sold out everywhere otherwise I might have bought that instead.

I haven’t had the opportunity yet to really use it, but will in the next couple of weeks. We’ll see how well it works.

thanks everyone

I’m still looking for a shooter style bag. I can see situations where the backpack just isn’t a good option, so it’s main use for me will be outdoor hikes in the woods.

I've been searching online for a bag that will carry my unmounted Sony 100-400 GM and one other lens, either the Tamron 28-75 or Tamron 17-28. This is what I’d call a shooter bag, where I'm wearing the camera and one lens and I have a bag for the two that I'm not using. Ideally, I'd prefer a hip belt option vs a sling. I was really intrigued by the Think Tank Speed Racer 2, after Mark Galer mentioned it in a video, unfortunately it’s no longer available.

Most everything that I find online that will handle the 100-400 has been discontinued. Or, the bags available aren't deep enough to allow the storage of the 100-400 vertically. the 100-400 is about 9 inches long and 4.5 inches in diameter (or 5 inches with the tripod bracket).

The marketplace now seems focused on slings and messenger bags that hang on your shoulder. One option that might fit my needs is the Think Tank modular belt system.

Consider buying a Peak Design 30l everyday v2 backpack if that works for you. I use it to transport a sony 200-600mm + camera vertically with the hood in reverse. Works very well for pretty much everything - daily use in large cities and daily hikes (did an 8 mile in one day with it without issue).

I also have a Shimoda Explore 60L - have mixed feelings. I replaced an old true hiking 60L backpack with it but it's not the same in terms of storage capacity. Comfort isn't as bad as some are saying even for long hikes. Biggest issue I have with the shimoda system is that the ICU sizes aren't great for Sony - very snug fittings for the 100-400mm in the small ICU and 200-600mm in the large ICU with cameras attached.

tonyz1's gear list:tonyz1's gear list
Sony a1 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads