Camera size over five decades plus

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,551
Camera size over five decades plus

On the right the final iteration of the classic Pentax Spotmatic.  Average size for the time, mid 1970s, design goes back to 1964.  The Olympus OM1 was smaller and hailed as a breakthrough.  Nikons were a deal bigger, most of the rest closer to Pentax.  50mm f1.8 lens.  On the left the incomparably better X-T2.  Which a lot of people say is a bit small, certainly a lot smaller than modern cameras that attract little comment for being big.  35mm f1.4 lens so broadly equivalent.  A comparison I've been meaning to make for a while, and just for interest.  If there is a point it is how we forget and how fussy some snappers are when looking for a bigger camera, a grip and so on.  You can see why I like Fuji of course.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,923
Re: Camera size over five decades plus

Similarly, I still have my Pentax MX bought in the late 1970s. And I had an Olympus OMD EM10ii, a M43 camera with a sensor about 1/4 the size of the Pentax. Yet similarly sized camera.

I'm shocked at how big FF DSLRs have become. I don't want any part of that size.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +3 more
OP a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,551

Sadly I didn't take the photo while I still had my father's Pentax ME

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
John Crowe
John Crowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,675

I will have to get a photo of my first camera, Canon AE -1P alongside my 5DSR.  My film camera for over 20 years was a Canon T-90, which is probably bigger than my 5DSR.  I have huge (95 percentile) hands, so I am looking forward to getting a battery grip for it.  The bigger the better...maybe a GFX!

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D +15 more

My recollection is that the Canon AE was about the same size as the Spotmatic, but stand correction.  The T90 I don't recall.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

All Bushs Fault Regular Member • Posts: 480

John Crowe wrote:

I will have to get a photo of my first camera, Canon AE -1P alongside my 5DSR. My film camera for over 20 years was a Canon T-90, which is probably bigger than my 5DSR. I have huge (95 percentile) hands, so I am looking forward to getting a battery grip for it. The bigger the better...maybe a GFX!

The GFX may be a bit smaller than your 5DsR. The lenses are bigger though.

All Bushs Fault's gear list:All Bushs Fault's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100S Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +7 more
John Crowe
John Crowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,675

I took this from the internet.  Easily enough, I don't think it was illegal.  Only a 40D but gives some reference.   Funny how small the GFX is.  I use a couple medium format lenses and they are huge, and being vintage, heavy.

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D +15 more
PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,923

a_c_skinner wrote:

Here's my MX:

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +3 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 14,115

This explains why I like the X-T2 so much. My Pentax was a little later: a K1000SE, but it was the same size and shape as your Spotty.

A Fuji X-T10 with the 35mmf/1.4 on it is spookily reminiscent of using  a Pentax MX with a full sized 50mm on it.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
CBVickery
CBVickery Forum Member • Posts: 81

The camera on the left was bought at a PX in 1973.

The camera on the right is one of my current favorites.

I still prefer a camera that has a certain aesthetic.

CBVickery's gear list:CBVickery's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX100 V Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II +1 more
bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,399

I remember all that.

I had a Canon FT, as big or bigger than the Spotmatic.  I remember when the OM1 came out, and was followed by the AE-1 and smaller Pentax.  As I recall the AE-1 was a bit smaller but the Pentax was similar size to the OM1.  I ended up with a Nikon FE which was smaller than the Spotmatic but not as small as the OM1, maybe like the AE-1.  Lots of people were interested in the OM1 and I would have liked to have tried one.  I don't think I really was looking for small.

Now I'm using a D750 and D810, which are pretty big by any standards less than medium format.  I don't mind the size, it makes the cameras easier to use.  The hand grip makes a big difference, the older SLR bodies didn't have those.  And newer cameras need a lot of outside surface area for all of the dials and buttons and screens.  For most use I'm fine with what I have although I've had some interest in getting a smaller/lighter body for hiking.

OldSchoolNewSchool Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

PhotoFactor wrote:

a_c_skinner wrote:

Here's my MX:

Man, that's really clean.

-- hide signature --

My state of confusion has turned into a circle of confusion.

OldSchoolNewSchool's gear list:OldSchoolNewSchool's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 70D Olympus E-M1 Canon EOS 5DS Canon 6D Mark II +14 more
aKansasKid Forum Member • Posts: 67

I'd love to see a shot of the OM-1 next to, say, a d3500 or similar ASPC DSLR. I replaced a "standard size" Mamiya Sekor SLR with the OM-1 when the OM-1 was released in 1972. I always remember it as being small - almost too small to handle comfortably. And I have size 7-7.5 hands in gloves. But the pictures were great! My follow-on Nikon 8008s was larger and felt better.

Fast-forward to today and a retirement re-entry to photography, and that D3500 feels a little cramped, but the weight is sure nice (for a DSLR/battery these days, that is). Once a camera reaches interchangeable lens size, they all entail an intentional photo session, carrying a camera around by hand. Weight becomes more an ergonomic factor than size for me.

cba_melbourne
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 4,546

John Crowe wrote:

I took this from the internet. Easily enough, I don't think it was illegal. Only a 40D but gives some reference. Funny how small the GFX is. I use a couple medium format lenses and they are huge, and being vintage, heavy.

The T90 was a large camera in it's time. Because it had a permanently integrated motorized film transport capable of 4.5 frames per second. I loved mine, but it was not a reliable camera for me, it had frequent shutter problems (too fragile electric 1/4000s shutter).

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 III +15 more
cba_melbourne

a_c_skinner wrote:

.......The Olympus OM1 was smaller and hailed as a breakthrough.......

The half frame Pen-F was even smaller. Possibly the smallest SLR for 35mm film ever made. It's mirror did swing sideways, making it look like if it was a rangefinder, but it was a true SLR.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 III +15 more

A Fuji X-T10 with the 35mmf/1.4 on it is spookily reminiscent of using a Pentax MX with a full sized 50mm on it.

That would be an interesting one if someone has an MX/ME and an X-T?0 to photo.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

Never used one, but have handled them.  Olympus supplied them with their gastroscopes, so most hospitals had one lying around.  Same size as I recall as the Fuji X-E series or a bit smaller.  They never achieved the IQ most people aspired to I suspect.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

cba_melbourne

a_c_skinner wrote:

Never used one, but have handled them. Olympus supplied them with their gastroscopes, so most hospitals had one lying around. Same size as I recall as the Fuji X-E series or a bit smaller. They never achieved the IQ most people aspired to I suspect.

Half frame was 18x24, so exactly half the film resolution of 24x36 (or in other words twice as large grain). It was popular after WW2 in cash strapped Japan and Europe, one standard 36 exposure film roll yielded 72 pictures. Half the cost per picture for film and it's processing.

jimdelves
jimdelves Regular Member • Posts: 388

Personal preference is everything. I have small to medium sized hands and I can carry and handle a D850 all day on a little hand strap and it’s not a burden at all.

The lens is a much bigger issue because it distributes the weight differently.

I love the Sigma 50mm 1.4, but my usual walk around lenses are either the 50mm 1.8, the 35mm f2D or the Tokina 100m macro as I barely notice them.

That said, the size/weight/resolution compromise champ for me was the D7100

jimdelves's gear list:jimdelves's gear list
Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +7 more
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 19,061
Dsarkroom?

a_c_skinner wrote:

On the right the final iteration of the classic Pentax Spotmatic. Average size for the time, mid 1970s, design goes back to 1964. The Olympus OM1 was smaller and hailed as a breakthrough. Nikons were a deal bigger, most of the rest closer to Pentax. 50mm f1.8 lens. On the left the incomparably better X-T2. Which a lot of people say is a bit small, certainly a lot smaller than modern cameras that attract little comment for being big. 35mm f1.4 lens so broadly equivalent. A comparison I've been meaning to make for a while, and just for interest. If there is a point it is how we forget and how fussy some snappers are when looking for a bigger camera, a grip and so on. You can see why I like Fuji of course.

Digital cameras do their own processing; film cameras don't. So for a fair comparison you should show a darkroom on the film side of the picture.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads