Started 7 months ago | Questions
ClausG76 Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: Smartphone camera vs normal camera

ClausG76 wrote:

Auto mode

Pro mode satuation and sharpnes dialed down

teemodk wrote:

ClausG76 wrote:

What if you dial dial down on satuation and sharpnes on phones with great hardware?

Not sure I understand what you mean?

Took some more to show you what I mean

Auto

Pro dialed down sky exposure

Pro dialed down exposure center

5x auto

5x Tele pro dialed down

10x auto

10x using 5x Tele. Pro dialed down

Auto

Pro dialed down

Using fw 12.5.11

teemodk Senior Member • Posts: 1,362

ClausG76 wrote:

Auto mode

teemodk wrote:

ClausG76 wrote:

What if you dial dial down on satuation and sharpnes on phones with great hardware?

I got it about the dialing down the saturation and sharpness.  I just don't get why you were asking. I get pictures like those you show here. A little less processed look. More real.

I think I might have replied in the wrong place. It was about the Xiaomi having less processed picture and more neutral whithe balance in pro mode Vs auto mode. They called it raw jpeg

Panino Manino
Panino Manino Contributing Member • Posts: 533

This difference isn't because Xiaomi have settings for Saturation, Contrast and Sharpens? Then when you use Pro the camera uses the "default" settings for these parameters instead of keeping what ate set on Auto?

Don't believe Xiaomi is doing a Huawei, when they became this smart?

These settings isn't available in auto only in pro. But pictures in pro mode looks like it has the same processing unless you change them like I did. It remembers them afterwards, until you reset it or change it again. It was just an answer to a user, who wanted to shoot jpegs instead of raw

Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,796

ClausG76 wrote:

Jostian wrote:

teemodk wrote:

Jostian wrote:

teemodk wrote:

Jostian wrote:

pity its only Huawei that has this ability.

Nahh, even my cheap phone has decent "unprocessed" raw. Not from stock app, but from gcam. There are other phones than huawei, Apple, Samsung and Nokia.

I'm talking about the jpeg from RAW, only Huawei does this, in pro mode the JPEG produced in Pro mode is directly from the RAW, bypassing the auto JPEG processing. Other OEMs use normal auto processing in the JPEG in Pro mode, Huawei doesn't, it produces the JPEG directly from the RAW without any auto mode processing.

Ahh yes, I remember reading about that, totally forgot 😁.
But that is exactly the same I have with my gcam. They are both processing the data from the sensor and write it in the raw file. Which all cameras do. There is no magic from Huawei, they just decided to create nice jpegs from the raw in stead of the usual Samsung colored over sharpened "standard" output 😏.

actually no, they are the ONLY OEM that does this, Samsung, iPhone, Xiaomi etc all use standard processing in the jpeg from Pro mode, Huawei is the only one that just creates a jpeg straight from the RAW with no auto mode heavy processing.

Gcam use the boring unsharp and flat raw to make Google pictures. Unless you patch it with your own preferences, lifting the shadows to a more realistic level and fine tune colors, nr, sharpen etc. to what you like.

Yes GCam is lovely (once you get it right, can take some time), problem with GCam is that it doesnt work perfectly on many phones, or only for some of the lenses, when I tried it on my Note 20 Ultra it made phone very hot and drained a lot of battery. BUT if you get one that works properly its really great.

see 100% crops below, left side is P40 Pro in Pro mode (the jpeg that automatically gets produced directly from the RAW file, no std auto processing) and on right is the same shot taken in auto mode with all the std auto processing, massive difference, the jpeg from RAW is way more natural looking, especially fine detail rendering, color is also more accurate. Its this that no other OEM does, if I shoot a scene in Pro mode with my Note 20 Ultra the jpeg it produces with the RAW in Pro mode is as heavily processed as the same shot taken in auto mode.

They all procces from raw data. It's the software that enterpreters data and decides the appearance with colours, nr, sharpnes etc. The Huawei uses a very flat profile in pro mode and boost the colours in automode. Your pictures shows completely different colour temperature with a yellow teint.

Nope, other OEMs don't process from RAW they just take a standard JPEG shot with the RAW.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM 808 +1 more

We are talking in different directions. What I'm saying is that

All cameras read the sensor, translate the rubbish data to meaningful data, write the data as raw in memory and maybe in a file. From there the software use the raw data to create a Jpeg, some make it colorful and sharp some make it more natural.

But to the important part, that you missed (I was not talking about phone vendors), I said

"But that is exactly the same I have with my gcam."

Except I can change how gcam should make the Jpeg.

teemodk wrote:

All cameras read the sensor, translate the rubbish data to meaningful data, write the data as raw in memory and maybe in a file. From there the software use the raw data to create a Jpeg, some make it colorful and sharp some make it more natural.

That was what I was trying to say 😀

Boss of Sony Senior Member • Posts: 2,324

Drzewoid wrote:

Jostian wrote:

teemodk wrote:

Jostian wrote:

pity its only Huawei that has this ability.

Nahh, even my cheap phone has decent "unprocessed" raw. Not from stock app, but from gcam. There are other phones than huawei, Apple, Samsung and Nokia.

I'm talking about the jpeg from RAW, only Huawei does this, in pro mode the JPEG produced in Pro mode is directly from the RAW, bypassing the auto JPEG processing. Other OEMs use normal auto processing in the JPEG in Pro mode, Huawei doesn't, it produces the JPEG directly from the RAW without any auto mode processing.

see 100% crops below, left side is P40 Pro in Pro mode (the jpeg that automatically gets produced directly from the RAW file, no std auto processing) and on right is the same shot taken in auto mode with all the std auto processing, massive difference, the jpeg from RAW is way more natural looking, especially fine detail rendering, color is also more accurate. Its this that no other OEM does, if I shoot a scene in Pro mode with my Note 20 Ultra the jpeg it produces with the RAW in Pro mode is as heavily processed as the same shot taken in auto mode.

And the best thing - You can also turn off RAW in PRO mode and choose JPG - You get processing beetween AUTO and JPG from RAW on all 3 lenses Very great looking photo with some minimal sharpening and colors added

What you mean is, when shooting in Pro mode, the camera only takes a single shot, whereas on auto mode, it often combines multiple shots. Also, I think Pro mode produces a full resolution JPEG.

You might get an even better result by shooting in high res mode. On my Mate 20 Pro, it shoots in the native resolution of 40 megapixels, and the detail is insane because the Mate 20 Pro has a really sharp main lens.

Boss of Sony's gear list:Boss of Sony's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens
Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,796

teemodk wrote:

All cameras read the sensor, translate the rubbish data to meaningful data, write the data as raw in memory and maybe in a file. From there the software use the raw data to create a Jpeg,

yes I know that but most OEMs do not convert the RAW into a jpeg in Pro mode they just take a jpeg... hope you understand the difference, Huawei produces the jpeg directly from the RAW fil, other OEMs just take a standard jpeg to accompany the RAW file, they don't use the RAW file to produce the accompanying jpeg.

some make it colorful and sharp some make it more natural.

But to the important part, that you missed (I was not talking about phone vendors), I said

Very happy for you, but its not a OEM app and is very finnicky to get working perfectly. Like I said I could not get it working properly on my Note 20 Ultra, and when it was working it heated my phone and drained battery. So IF you get a GCam version that works perfectly you are very lucky!

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM 808 +1 more

Jostian wrote:

teemodk wrote:

All cameras read the sensor, translate the rubbish data to meaningful data, write the data as raw in memory and maybe in a file. From there the software use the raw data to create a Jpeg,

yes I know that but most OEMs do not convert the RAW into a jpeg in Pro mode they just take a jpeg... hope you understand the difference, Huawei produces the jpeg directly from the RAW fil, other OEMs just take a standard jpeg to accompany the RAW file, they don't use the RAW file to produce the accompanying jpeg.

some make it colorful and sharp some make it more natural.

Very happy for you, but its not a OEM app and is very finnicky to get working perfectly. Like I said I could not get it working properly on my Note 20 Ultra, and when it was working it heated my phone and drained battery. So IF you get a GCam version that works perfectly you are very lucky!

I think Samsung is the last phone I would get for gcam. You have Exynos or snapdragon?

Yeah I have a perfectly working gcam for my phone, with or without binning. It's much fun to see how good it can be tuned.

The native pro mode is decent for the price, but gcam blows it away with much more detail without any smearing. Small sensor artifacts at big magnifications is the only issue I have and that is only for moving things like water. Still, I wish it had a better lens.

There seems to be different versions of gcam. And even then there is different sub versions in the download sektion, like snapcam, ruler and scan3d.

It's a little difficult to figure out which to choose

Drzewoid Contributing Member • Posts: 704

ClausG76 wrote:

Auto mode

teemodk wrote:

ClausG76 wrote:

Not bad, i admit. For me it's very close, but still not 100%. Can You tell me what GCAM are You using - i will try it and check is possible to adjust settings to get similar results to Huawei.

It's not gcam. It's stock photo app in pro mode. I know it doesn't have as many settings as gcam. But I think I need to learn the stock app first. I like the pictures from that, and it has a good white balance. I specially like that I'm able drag the exposure meter to a point of your own likings.

ClausG76 wrote:

There seems to be different versions of gcam. And even then there is different sub versions in the download sektion, like snapcam, ruler and scan3d.

Snapcam for snapdragon, ruler and scan3d for samsung.

For mi11u I would try Nikita or Arnovas beta

otherwise BSG and Wichaya should work too.

teemodk wrote:

ClausG76 wrote:

So snapcam version from Wichayashould be good for Mi 12 ultra?

Also. Do you know if gcam supports all the extra hardware like the colorimeter and the dtof sensor?

Panino Manino
Panino Manino Contributing Member • Posts: 533

teemodk wrote:

I understand the advantages of the "GCam Way", but it reminds me some Linux discussions. GCam is the "Arch/Gentoo" of phone photography, why bother when there's a simpler "Hua Way"?

In the end that AI High-Res mode that restores subpixel color is unbeatable in quality and easy to use.

mailman88
mailman88 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,281
Re: Most Smartphone cameras…great to 8x10

…..any larger, use a DLSR.

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +4 more

Panino Manino wrote:

teemodk wrote:

I understand the advantages of the "GCam Way", but it reminds me some Linux discussions. GCam is the "Arch/Gentoo" of phone photography, why bother when there's a simpler "Hua Way"?

In the end that AI High-Res mode that restores subpixel color is unbeatable in quality and easy to use.

I understand your point and don't disagree. But for a lot of people huawei is just not an option.

I have a "real" apsc camera in my other pocket, that is smaller than a phone and much easier to use, so I'm not missing out 😃.

ClausG76 wrote:

teemodk wrote:

ClausG76 wrote:

So snapcam version from Wichayashould be good for Mi 12 ultra?

MI11 series.  A little early for mi12 😁

Also. Do you know if gcam supports all the extra hardware like the colorimeter and the dtof sensor?

No, sorry.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads