Screen glitch on startup after OS upgrade

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,903
Screen glitch on startup after OS upgrade

Yesterday I upgraded (🤔) my 2014 MacBook Pro 13" to Big Sur from Catalina, preparing to sell this older MacBook. Now on startup, I'm getting a very brief screen glitch, happening just before the progress bar gets to the halfway point. The glitch lasts for about 1/2 second, then the progress bar speedily finishes and opens the home page as per normal this wasn't happening with Catalina. Things I tried:

- ran diagnostics (start then hold down "D" key). No issues found.

- reset SMC

-reset PRAM

- ran disk utility and first aid

- now re-installing Big Sur.

Any idea of what might be happening? Photos below. Pay no attention the man behind the screen... 😁

Just before the brief glitch

Glitch. After this the start process finishes quickly. There are no hints of anything wrong with the screen in normal operation.

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
LarryRC Senior Member • Posts: 1,052
Re: Screen glitch on startup after OS upgrade

Lettermanian wrote:

Yesterday I upgraded (🤔) my 2014 MacBook Pro 13" to Big Sur from Catalina, preparing to sell this older MacBook. Now on startup, I'm getting a very brief screen glitch, happening just before the progress bar gets to the halfway point. The glitch lasts for about 1/2 second, then the progress bar speedily finishes and opens the home page as per normal this wasn't happening with Catalina. Things I tried:

- ran diagnostics (start then hold down "D" key). No issues found.

- reset SMC

-reset PRAM

- ran disk utility and first aid

- now re-installing Big Sur.

Any idea of what might be happening? Photos below. Pay no attention the man behind the screen... 😁

Just before the brief glitch

Glitch. After this the start process finishes quickly. There are no hints of anything wrong with the screen in normal operation.

maybe ignore it?

LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 600mm F4
Lettermanian
OP Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,903

LarryRC wrote:

maybe ignore it?

If I were keeping the computer I would, but I'm hoping to sell it, and I'm sure if a buyer sees this they would be wondering if it's ok. In the meantime I've seen lots of posts online about similar issues with upgrading to Big Sur on older MacBook Pros: glitching and/or flickering screens during startup/shutdown and in normal use.  Today I'll be erasing the drive and re-installing the OS to see if that fixes it  🤷🏻‍♂️

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,852

Can you swap drives in that model?

Another example why I like the ability to boot (until now) Macs from external USB drives. I might have clean installed Big Sur on an external USB SSD drive and booted from it as a trial. I boot regularly from USB 3.0 SSD on my older Macs and they do even better than what my early 201Xs machines come with for drives.

I would try that. To me that is an issue. 2014 is getting up there and I am one who works with even older Macs. But I would also rather retain that computer as a backup. Redundancy is always better than latest and greatest.

Also, before selling a computer, I would boot from an external boot drive and completely erase the computers internal drive with a higher level of erasure, probably disk utility's max.  Then, clean install a selling system.

Lettermanian
OP Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,903

Gesture wrote:

Can you swap drives in that model?

Another example why I like the ability to boot (until now) Macs from external USB drives. I might have clean installed Big Sur on an external USB SSD drive and booted from it as a trial. I boot regularly from USB 3.0 SSD on my older Macs and they do even better than what my early 201Xs machines come with for drives.

I would try that. To me that is an issue. 2014 is getting up there and I am one who works with even older Macs. But I would also rather retain that computer as a backup. Redundancy is always better than latest and greatest.

Also, before selling a computer, I would boot from an external boot drive and completely erase the computers internal drive with a higher level of erasure, probably disk utility's max. Then, clean install a selling system.

Yes, the ram is soldered but the drive is replaceable. I ended up erasing the disk and doing a new install of Big Sur, and now it starts up without the glitch. Tried shutting down and restarting a few times and all went well. Think it's ready to sell now

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads