Jupiter 9 m42 version only close focus on A7

Started 4 months ago | Questions
ayylmao New Member • Posts: 6
Jupiter 9 m42 version only close focus on A7

So I got a fantastic looking jupiter 9 in an m42 mount off ebay but when attached to my regular m42 to e mount adapter, it was only able to do close focus, nothing farther than a meter or so.

After some investigating, it seems like I may have gotten a rangefinder version of this lens which needs to be closer to the sensor than m42 slr lenses.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience on how I could get this lens to work properly? I love how it looks and feels in hand. I tried using one of those cheap super slim m42 to emount adapters but now the lens is too close and still won't focus correctly.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,910
Re: Jupiter 9 m42 version only close focus on A7

ayylmao wrote:

So I got a fantastic looking jupiter 9 in an m42 mount off ebay but when attached to my regular m42 to e mount adapter, it was only able to do close focus, nothing farther than a meter or so.

After some investigating, it seems like I may have gotten a rangefinder version of this lens which needs to be closer to the sensor than m42 slr lenses.

The rangefinder version of the Jupiter 9 is a long, slim design, while the SLR one is shorter and fatter with a protruding focus ring.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience on how I could get this lens to work properly? I love how it looks and feels in hand. I tried using one of those cheap super slim m42 to emount adapters but now the lens is too close and still won't focus correctly.

If you do have the rangefinder version it will be in 39mm (LTM) fitting, presumably with an M39-M42 adapter attached if it fits your M42-Sony E adapter. Remove this, and the lens will then need an LTM-Sony E adapter.

An alternative is to use your slim M42-Sony E adapter with a suitable extension tube, but you need to carry out some measurements and/or experiments to determine the correct length.

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
OP ayylmao New Member • Posts: 6

I looked at the mount some more and there is no m39 to m49 adapter attached. I think it should be the m42 slr version then which leaves me all the more puzzled why the thing won't focus properly meanwhile my other jupiter lenses seemed to work just fine.

I agree, shim rings and extension tubes are likely the way to go with this one

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 43,195

This will not help you specifically as I acknowledge that your lens actually has a M42 mount.

However I note that early Zenit slr bodies had M39 mounts with a different flange focal length. I have called them “Z39” to difference them from LTM (M39) mount. The difference is only about 1mm and a thin adapter was often supplied so that the appropriate lenses could be used on “Z39”and M42  mounts. If used on a Z39 system the adapter ring could be lost (or not even supplied).

The other possibility is that someone has had the lens double helicoid apart and has not managed to re-calibrate the lens properly on re-assembly.

The lens looks  like a later build, as far as I know the earlier M42 version has a more pronounced “knobbly” focus ring.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

schlafmuetze Regular Member • Posts: 128

To my eyes this is a rangefinder version of the lens, where the previous owner wrongly attached a simple m39-to-m42 adapter, thus causing an irritation.

Removing the wrong adapter and using a simple (L39/LTM)-to-NEX adapter should help.

schlafmuetze's gear list:schlafmuetze's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +19 more
Suave Senior Member • Posts: 2,249

Here's how an SLR version is supposed to look like.  To my eyes, yours is an LTM version.

-- hide signature --

Wait... is this a list?

Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D7000 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +7 more

I think I do see what appears to be an adapter now that I'm looking for it, how I missed it earlier remains a mystery. The mount has two notches on the side that have some tool marks on them. Fingernails and regular twisting weren't enough to pry the thing off. I think one of those lens tools may be necessary, assuming it can even be removed at this point.

The Russian industry had a happy knack of making lenses in different mount configurations under the same descriptive name.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 6,292

This is a relatively early LTM (rangefinder) version of the Jupiter-9. If the glass is in good condition, it is relatively valuable. My copy serves me really well as both portrait and short-tele, and it's pretty light weight for a fast 85.

Most likely, an illiterate seller simply slapped a M39-M42-ring on it, in order to sell it as M42.

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Pentax K100D Leica M-Monochrom Pentax K10D Pentax K-1

Despite my efforts, and one bent lens repair kit later, the adapter was not willing to budge. I just noticed that the adapter also had earlier tool marks on it that look fairly fresh near the notches. It seems like the seller also tried to get it off and failed.

I really hate to give this up since it's in good condition, but keeping it around is going to drive me insane with trying to adapt it, so refund it is.

Lightshow
Lightshow Veteran Member • Posts: 7,617

ayylmao wrote:

I think I do see what appears to be an adapter now that I'm looking for it, how I missed it earlier remains a mystery. The mount has two notches on the side that have some tool marks on them. Fingernails and regular twisting weren't enough to pry the thing off. I think one of those lens tools may be necessary, assuming it can even be removed at this point.

A a lens spanner, pipe wrench, or channel-lock plyers will or should be able to remove the adapter easily assuming they didn't use thread locker or glue to secure it, wrap the threads with string to protect the threads if you intend on keeping the adapter.

If they did use a thread locker, heat the adapter ring with a soldering iron or lighter to break the bond,

-- hide signature --

A Manual Focus Junky...
One photographers junk lens is an artists favorite tool.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/
[My Lens list](http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewprofile.php?Action=viewprofile&username=LightShow)
####Where's my FF NEX-7 ?????
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/447/31518420576_7916966b11_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1962/31024497798_85526ac8ca_b.jpg
Firmware request:
-A button map for toggling the EVF & LCD
-Still waiting for the minimum shutter speed with auto ISO for my NEX-7 and A7r. I know it will never happen.
-Customize the display screen layout, I'd love to have both Histogram and level at the same time.
-More peaking options, being able to set peaking sensitivity and a threshold level.
-An RGB overlay on the histogram https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/602/20236258313_c604dd9522_n.jpg
-An option to return the focus assist zoom to one button press
-An option to return to how the NEX-7 handled playback, ie. center button to zoom, then you could use the control dial to zoom in and out, then center button to exit the zoom mode.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH +20 more

The tool I used was a lens spanner I think, the tip ended up bending from how hard this adapter was stuck on there.

Lightshow
Lightshow Veteran Member • Posts: 7,617

ayylmao wrote:

The tool I used was a lens spanner I think, the tip ended up bending from how hard this adapter was stuck on there.

They either forced it on, it seized onto it (galling), or used a thread locker/glue to prevent the adapter ring from becoming loose, again, heat the ring up that should break the bond.

-- hide signature --

A Manual Focus Junky...
One photographers junk lens is an artists favorite tool.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/
[My Lens list](http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewprofile.php?Action=viewprofile&username=LightShow)
####Where's my FF NEX-7 ?????
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/447/31518420576_7916966b11_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1962/31024497798_85526ac8ca_b.jpg
Firmware request:
-A button map for toggling the EVF & LCD
-Still waiting for the minimum shutter speed with auto ISO for my NEX-7 and A7r. I know it will never happen.
-Customize the display screen layout, I'd love to have both Histogram and level at the same time.
-More peaking options, being able to set peaking sensitivity and a threshold level.
-An RGB overlay on the histogram https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/602/20236258313_c604dd9522_n.jpg
-An option to return the focus assist zoom to one button press
-An option to return to how the NEX-7 handled playback, ie. center button to zoom, then you could use the control dial to zoom in and out, then center button to exit the zoom mode.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH +20 more

ayylmao wrote:

Despite my efforts, and one bent lens repair kit later, the adapter was not willing to budge. I just noticed that the adapter also had earlier tool marks on it that look fairly fresh near the notches. It seems like the seller also tried to get it off and failed.

I really hate to give this up since it's in good condition, but keeping it around is going to drive me insane with trying to adapt it, so refund it is.

Sounds like you need a seriously strong lens spanner and place it in a vice.  But I agree that the risk factor and aggravation seem to well exceed the likely successful benefit.

As a simple point of interest there seems to have been a culture of barrel chopping and re-mounting LTM versions of the Jupiter-11 with M42 mounts.   Presumably before the official M42 version was made. I have a few of these curious hybrids bought simply for interests sake.  They are all of a slightly different approach and success level of conversion.

This was obviously not happening in a single commercial workshop.

When I first saw them I thought it was an interim early model of a M42 J-11.

It could be that someone thought that they could do something similar with an LTM version of the J-9 by simply screwing on a M42 ring - unfortunately it jammed and the winner is going to be the one who manages to free it.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

GnarlydogOZ
GnarlydogOZ Senior Member • Posts: 1,463

Tom Caldwell wrote:

It could be that someone thought that they could do something similar with an LTM version of the J-9 by simply screwing on a M42 ring - unfortunately it jammed and the winner is going to be the one who manages to free it.

Now  that it seems we have established it's a M39, one could also carefully use a Dremel tool with a tiny cut-off wheel and cut the adapter ring, to then easily pry it off. It's most likely just soft aluminum that requires very little effort to cut.

Of course, some careful cutting is required and certainly not the task for the inexperienced Dremel user

GnarlydogOZ wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Now that it seems we have established it's a M39, one could also carefully use a Dremel tool with a tiny cut-off wheel and cut the adapter ring, to then easily pry it off. It's most likely just soft aluminum that requires very little effort to cut.

Of course, some careful cutting is required and certainly not the task for the inexperienced Dremel user

Bush mechanic here - works on agricultural machinery:

Sounds like the same trick as used to get the very hard inner ring of a collapsed roller bearing off the spindle it is attached to. Much fun getting these very necessarily tight fit “inners” off otherwise. Locked solid if the bearings were working properly.

Carefully use and angle grinder to cut a groove in the part then use a cold chisel and hammer to snap the ring off. A second groove somewhere else in the radius can be helpful.

Care taken to not cut into the spindle itself.

Now translate to the stuck adapter ring - angle grinders are not advisable ( ). But a partial Dremel cut and resultant groove as Gnarly advised and use a screwdriver in the slot to either finish off the cut by a twist-snap or even as a leverage to try and start the adapter thread so that it could now be screwed off. A fine triangle file might also work and would be slower but less potentially destructive.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads