What camera to buy for my new life?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Viriato9 New Member • Posts: 2
What camera to buy for my new life?

Hello friends,

In a couple months I move to Japan to live there, and I plan to start a youtube channel with vlogs and cinematic shots. Also, i enjoy still photography so I had plans to buy a camera.

I've been doing digital photography and desing all my life, so I have that photography eye "developed" but when it comes to camera parts and info  I'm a newbie.

Yesterday was my birthday and my wife gifted me a Panasonic FZ300.

I've been looking info about this camera, and i don't know why but I got the impression that even though it's a really nice compact camera, it lacks some crispiness and sharpness on still photos. Like it's not a big jump on quality compared to my phone (Huawei P30 pro).

So that's where i find the SONY ZV1, a little bit more expensive, but with this camera I found that quality on still photography, and also that power for cinematic video. And of course, it's a vloggin camera after all.

But, this Sony ZV1 is maybe more lacking in the aspects of a reflex camera (zoom and stuff).

That's where my question resides.

Should I keep the FZ300 and try to work around the quality issue (maybe it's only because I'm a newbie I can't get that sharpness) or should I switch to the Sony ZV1?

Thank you so much, and sorry for the long text.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony ZV-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin Silenus Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: What camera to buy for my new life?

You're wife GIFTED you a camera! She cares about you and your endeavors! Use that! (at least to start with)

Spend the money on audio equipment instead. Half of everyone will be watching your videos at 360p anyway. Half will be multitasking and focused on something else. But everyone WILL notice crappy audio.

Congrats on the exciting move! Best of luck!

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 11,580

I guess I'd wonder if the YouTube, etc., is for fun or if it's a business venture?

Will this be the type of subject matter that lens itself to studio production or will it be covering material that's shot on location, or a mix?

That would help lead to determining what kinds of gear would be needed.

Is there a "site" that's an example of the type of production you are aiming at?

tspear Forum Member • Posts: 69

Since you plan to be there for a while, I doubt I would buy the equipment here.

Unless you are on a US Base, the power system runs at a completely different frequency. So simple power converts do not work. And most travel converters do not hold up very well.

Note: this is based on friends travel experience a decade ago. He was there for a few months, and went through  multiple power converters.

Good luck and have fun!

Tim

tspear's gear list:tspear's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +1 more
OP Viriato9 New Member • Posts: 2

My plan is to be like a Japan general + travel vlogger.

Like in one video i would talk about whatever idea i think it's good at the time (cultural differences, food, etc) other video I would showcase a location I like. That type of vlogging.

Im thinking of doing it for the fun, but also to try my chance on being a full time youtuber if everything goes well.

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 11,580

Just wondering.  I don't do the vlogging thing or have much idea what gear is involved.  I was thinking that approaching as a business might lead to different approaches about selecting gear, but also business may also involve tax and spending/purchases approaches.  Subject matter/content could well drive gear choices, too.

Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 37

I know that the Sony A6100, A6300, A6400, A6500 and the new A6600 are highly regarded by a LOT of vloggers. They’re APS-C cameras with interchangeable lenses and they’re going to be more expensive than the ZV-1 you have. You can vlog with just about any camera these days but IF you’re serious about your project, I think the quality of the photos and videos you’ll produce with one of those cameras will blow away what you can do with the ZV-1. It’s better to buy once and cry once (over the cost) than to start with something cheaper and quickly find you NEED a better camera to achieve your goal! Keep in mind, the quality of your imagery is going to determine the success of your channel, just as much as the content and subject matter. You can have the best advice and info for people and absolutely FLOP if you video/photos aren’t really good quality.

We all have our budgets, though; and we can only afford to buy what we can afford to buy! I just thought I’d throw this out there. Hope it helps ya!

- Nick

P.S. You are SOooo lucky to get to live in Japan!! It’s an amazing country. I only visited once but I’d move there in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity! Congrats!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads