Buy a Nikon 35mm SLR or rent a Canon Lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
TamirN
TamirN New Member • Posts: 7
Buy a Nikon 35mm SLR or rent a Canon Lens?

I'm planned to go on a road trip to from California to Florida in a month and I want to mainly shoot film throughout the trip. I'm looking for the sharpest and overall best lens option for my trip and I have two options.

I do have a lot of older SLRs and lots of older lenses but I would like to have the luxury of autofocus throughout the trip as I am no speed demon when it comes to manual focusing. I have a Canon EOS 650 which is a great little camera, but I haven't upgraded the kit and it still has an 80s era 35-70mill on it. I was thinking of renting a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II for the trip and it would cost around $125 dollars.

On the other hand, I have a Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR lens I use with my Nikon D750. In this case, I could purchase a late Nikon SLR and use my 24-120mm with it. I'm not sure how the sharpness of the two lenses compare, is there a big difference or not much between the two?

Which of these two results do you guys think would yield the best results? I hope I explained my dilemma well and I apologize if I gave anyone a heart attack trying to understand what I'm saying!

rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 2,174
Re: Buy a Nikon 35mm SLR or rent a Canon Lens?

A difficult one !

Well as you know the Canon Lii is a super sharp pro lens and the .24-120/4 is a good lens but weaker in the corners.

Are you happy with it on your D750? - you have got the extra FL range which is something I would want - or take another, longer lens for the canon

How would they compare on film - unhelpfully I haven’t a clue.

John Crowe
John Crowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,461

Is your 650 a film or digital camera?  Either way, I would simply use your Nikon lens on the Nikon D750.  Just because your D750 is a few years old does not mean you need to replace it.  If anything rent one of the expensive Nikon lenses for it.  The only worthwhile upgrade for the D750 is a D810, D850 or Z7/Z7II.

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D +15 more

The OP wants to use film for his trip.

I admit it did take me several reads before I realised what he wanted.  Little point in replacing the fine D750 with another Nikon digital body unless it’s the D850 or Z7.x unless he needed video.

The EOS 650 is a late 80’s film body. I am surprised that late Nikon Film bodies can actually use “G” lenses - but they can.

John Crowe
John Crowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,461

Good grief I missed that! The 650 gets confusing because now there is a 650D digital.

Rent the Canon L lens and take the D750 too. Check exposures with the digital and have at it with the film camera. Use some nice films to make the effort worthwhile.

P.S. Wording was perfect, my reading was less than so.  A good Nikon SLR in good shape that you can trust on a trip would cost more than the rental.  If you can trust the 650, stick with it.  The Canon lens may have a slight advantage because it is faster. more money put into glass, and narrower, not trying to do as much as the Nikon.

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D +15 more

John Crowe wrote:

Good grief I missed that! The 650 gets confusing because now there is a 650D digital.

Rent the Canon L lens and take the D750 too. Check exposures with the digital and have at it with the film camera. Use some nice films to make the effort worthwhile.

Good advice!!

Especially since old things break more often ( or do they actually ? ) - at least the OP has a brilliant backup if all else fails.

I love taking on film on my contaxs’’ but I just wouldn’t commit to film for anything important / unique and that’s with contax bodies that I know and have owned and used for 3,decades+ - let alone a recently purchased F4 or whatever.  Since the OP has his 650 then I totally agree - rent the L glass ( would be what I would do )

richard

TamirN
OP TamirN New Member • Posts: 7

John Crowe wrote:

Is your 650 a film or digital camera? Either way, I would simply use your Nikon lens on the Nikon D750. Just because your D750 is a few years old does not mean you need to replace it. If anything rent one of the expensive Nikon lenses for it. The only worthwhile upgrade for the D750 is a D810, D850 or Z7/Z7II.

The EOS 650 is a 35mm SLR. I'm very happy with my D750 and the kit on it but I wanted a Nikon 35mm SLR to go with the kit lens on that. Don't plan on getting rid of my D750 any time soon!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads