My Canon 50D shows pink clouds and blue skies

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Sony Rosario New Member • Posts: 5
My Canon 50D shows pink clouds and blue skies

I don't know how to explain this strange problem but here are some pictures that could help recognize the problem.

shot 90% of the photos on aperture priority

Sony Rosario's gear list:Sony Rosario's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Canon 18-55 F4-5.6 IS STM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 50D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rambling robin
rambling robin Regular Member • Posts: 415
Re: My Canon 50D shows pink clouds and blue skies

Pretty!

First of all go to menu and do settings reset to default and do likewise in custom menus as well.

Give the body contacts and lens contacts a good clean.

Shoot in auto mode and see what happens

rambling robin's gear list:rambling robin's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon D70 Nikon D70s +1 more
Inukim Regular Member • Posts: 300

This is a clear sign that your imaging sensor is dying.  The 50D is an old camera and presumably not worth the cost of repair.  I believe its time to look for a new camera.

OP Sony Rosario New Member • Posts: 5

Thanks for the response!
The same thing, still broke and I did contact Canon about this problem they said to give them a photo with EXIF info on it, and soo I did.
The camera does detect that the image is very dark and when am shooting on the auto mode it even activates the flash even when am in a well-illuminated environment.
So at least I know the camera tries to do something, no errors pop up about the shutter or the lens contact not being clean no errors whatsoever.
The photos look the same absolutely dark but those photos of the pink clouds do look kinda unique, to say the least, I checked the sensor everything is looking fine and alright, it has some dust but just one spot on it, cant clean it cause I don't have the tools to do soo and in my country, there isn't really any repair stores for Canon DSLR's

Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,003

I had to buy an expensive infrared filter from Kolari and do lots of post-processing to get surreal colors like that. I'd keep it!

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +16 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,602

Sony Rosario wrote:

in my country, there isn't really any repair stores for Canon DSLR's

I think that even if you could find a repair shop with a spare sensor to fix it, the cost just wouldn't be worth it for a 13 year old camera.

It would probably be cheaper to buy a good second hand 70D, which is a far better camera.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more

But like it's my first camera and I didn't even have 200 pics on it and it broke soo I wanna really feel what photography is, not look at the popping colors of a broken sensor or RGB sensor or something i imagine.
If I knew how to sell photos ill keep it but I don't soo I got to find a way to fix it, I still want to sell my photos of my broken sensor and if someones want to buy it ill sell it (the camera).
If someone can help me with selling photos or diagnosing the problem on the camera would be of much help.

Hmmm, soo should I upgrade to an original 7D?

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,602

Sony Rosario wrote:

Curious as to why you are thinking a 7D (which is an equally old camera) ?

Do you particularly need the heavy-duty professional build quality ? The original 7D might have the edge on build quality and even AF capability, but there is a lot of xxxD (Rebels) and xxD (60D, 70D, 80D etc) cameras that are much newer with better features and more Mp - probably for similar money.

Did you buy this 50D very recently (I saw that you have only shot a few photos with it) ? Was it like this from the first photo you shot, or did it go bad soon afterwards ?

I am not sure what you mean about selling photos ? Are you planning to go professional with this ?

As for diagnosing the problem, I am obviously not certain, but I had an Arlo security camera progressively turn pink on me and it was the sensor that had failed - I cannabalised another camera's sensor and it was fine. I sincerely doubt that you could get an economical sensor replacement on such an old camera, but you can certainly try. You may want to get it physically assessed by a camera repair shop - I am not sure that you will get a 100% accurate diagnosis by remote control on this forum.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Inukim Regular Member • Posts: 300

Buy the newest body that is within your budget.  The 7D is quite old, and you could probably get a 70D for the same price with better features (albeit not having the magnesium alloy body).  An 80D would probably be a better choice but more expensive.

Andy01 wrote:

Sony Rosario wrote:

Curious as to why you are thinking a 7D (which is an equally old camera) ?

Do you particularly need the heavy-duty professional build quality ?
The original 7D might have the edge on build quality and even AF capability, but there is a lot of xxxD (Rebels) and xxD (60D, 70D, 80D etc) cameras that are much newer with better features and more Mp - probably for similar money.

Did you buy this 50D very recently (I saw that you have only shot a few photos with it) ? Was it like this from the first photo you shot, or did it go bad soon afterwards ?

I am not sure what you mean about selling photos ? Are you planning to go professional with this ?

As for diagnosing the problem, I am obviously not certain, but I had an Arlo security camera progressively turn pink on me and it was the sensor that had failed - I cannabalised another camera's sensor and it was fine. I sincerely doubt that you could get an economical sensor replacement on such an old camera, but you can certainly try. You may want to get it physically assessed by a camera repair shop - I am not sure that you will get a 100% accurate diagnosis by remote control on this forum.

Colin

Long story short, I shot a photo of the sun. that was the biggest mistake I have ever done in my entire life. Should have known better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads