Canon - Fuji dilemma

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 12,121
Use what you enjoy

It's a hobby.  Aside from sticking to a budget changing your mind  or  using different types of gear can be part of the fun.

Laotze Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: Canon - Fuji dilemma

I think the most important thing is that a person should be happy with whatever model or brand camera they're using and, in your case, going back to Canon sounds like something that would make you happy.

I came to say that the Fuji seems to be a more than capable camera, why bother with the more expensive Canon. But I agree with you 100%. The question really is, will your significant other kill you when she finds the credit card bills?

I was super picky about my tools when I had my hobby woodshop back when I still lived in north america. I literally get angry when I try to use inferior tools now. Use what makes you happy! Keep some money in the budget for a divorce if it's Canon.

Laotze's gear list:Laotze's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
Statto1927
OP Statto1927 Forum Member • Posts: 71

Thanks all

Its a tricky one to be sure. May just stick with the x-s10 for now, and see if/when Canon's rumoured RF apsc bodies materialise.

or then again….

-- hide signature --

Flickr: simon_hiscocks

Statto1927's gear list:Statto1927's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,540

Statto1927 wrote:

Backstory:

I'm a hobbyist photographer, shooting for fun and personal memories rather than anything “serious”. Had a Canon 100D for years which I loved and then last year moved to a Canon 77d which I also loved. Something though was nagging me to move to mirrorless (perhaps the promise that mirrorless is the future, and more compact kit) and not being overly taken with Canon's M range and the R range being mostly out of budget after a lot of research I switched the Cannon for the new Fuji X-S10. It’s a great camera but after 6 months with it I’m really missing the Canon “feel” and am sorely tempted to go back to the a Canon fold. I can’t put my finger on why this is, but there’s just something that makes my photography feel slightly less enjoyable than it did with Canon gear.

However, what’s stopping me at the moment is what I’d go for. I’m happy buying used and the 77d although from a few years ago was a significant upgrade on my 100d, and not that much bigger and a nice camera to use. The 80d and 90d are bigger and heavier (and that’s without lenses). Canon's mirrorless M range feels like it’s heading down a dead end and the R range feels too expensive for my needs (despite having forked out over £1k on my Fuji 😆).

As an aside, I don’t have any Canon gear now - my lenses were an Cnon 18-55, and 50mm, a Sigma 70-300 and a Tamron 80-270. My Fuji has an 18-55 and 50-230.

So my dilemma is, do I persevere with the Fuji - an up to date model, current mirrorless tech but for some unidentifiable reason not 100% enjoyable (for me), or revert to preference for Canon probably using DSLR technology on likely an older body with lots of decent used lenses available?

I know I’ll get differing opinions, and only I can make the choice but I felt I needed to articulate this somewhere…

I'd get a Canon full frame mirrorless  (R5, R6, R, etc.)  .... but I own Canon lenses

Statto1927

beagle1 wrote:

I'd get a Canon full frame mirrorless (R5, R6, R, etc.) .... but I own Canon lenses

If money were no object.....maybe

Probably overkill / wasted on me.....

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Statto1927

Update on this

I’ve ordered a used (but like new) 77D and 18-135 from MPB. Haven’t yet traded the Fuji - will wait and see if the Canon gives “mojo” back.

rationale for 77D is I’ve had one before, liked it - smaller and lighter than an 80D or 90D. The fact it’s a 4 year old camera doesn’t really bother me. It was a good camera when released, so it’s a good camera now.

I’ll let you know how I get on…..

-- hide signature --

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,795

I did like the low light AF on the 77D that I tried.

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
Statto1927

So, my 77D and 18-135 arrived yesterday - purchased used from MOB, and they’re both mint 👌
As soon as I had it in my hands, I felt more comfortable than with the Fuji X-S10. Bizarre I  know, but it just feels more “right” at the moment even though it’s a 4 year old camera.

Again, to reiterate, the Fuji's a great camera, but….oh I don’t know, there‘S just something that’s stopping me feeling it’s the one for me.

There's nothing wrong with the Fuji IQ, so these pics not meant to be a Canon v Fuji  showdown, and don’t take it that way, but a couple I snapped today whilst out and about just because I’m excited again….

Now the dilemma is do I sell the Fuji or hang on to it as a backup…..🤔

-- hide signature --

Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 3,234

As amateur, I allways sell not needed cameras as soon as I'm sure about it. It's just loosing value in the closet.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads