Canon - Fuji dilemma

Started Jun 20, 2021 | Discussions
Statto1927
Statto1927 Forum Member • Posts: 75
Canon - Fuji dilemma

Backstory:

I'm a hobbyist photographer, shooting for fun and personal memories rather than anything “serious”. Had a Canon 100D for years which I loved and then last year moved to a Canon 77d which I also loved. Something though was nagging me to move to mirrorless (perhaps the promise that mirrorless is the future, and more compact kit) and not being overly taken with Canon's M range and the R range being mostly out of budget after a lot of research I switched the Cannon for the new Fuji X-S10. It’s a great camera but after 6 months with it I’m really missing the Canon “feel” and am sorely tempted to go back to the a Canon fold. I can’t put my finger on why this is, but there’s just something that makes my photography feel slightly less enjoyable than it did with Canon gear.

However, what’s stopping me at the moment is what I’d go for. I’m happy buying used and the 77d although from a few years ago was a significant upgrade on my 100d, and not that much bigger and a nice camera to use. The 80d and 90d are bigger and heavier (and that’s without lenses). Canon's mirrorless M range feels like it’s heading down a dead end and the R range feels too expensive for my needs (despite having forked out over £1k on my Fuji 😆).

As an aside, I don’t have any Canon gear now - my lenses were an Cnon 18-55, and 50mm, a Sigma 70-300 and a Tamron 80-270. My Fuji has an 18-55 and  50-230.

So my dilemma is, do I persevere with the Fuji - an up to date model, current  mirrorless tech but for some unidentifiable reason not 100% enjoyable (for me), or revert to preference for Canon probably using DSLR technology on likely an older body with lots of decent used lenses available?

I know I’ll get differing opinions, and only I can make the choice but I felt I needed to articulate this somewhere…

-- hide signature --

Flickr: simon_hiscocks

Statto1927's gear list:Statto1927's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Canon EOS 77D / EOS 9000D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John Crowe
John Crowe Senior Member • Posts: 2,441
Re: Canon - Fuji dilemma

I suspect you are reacting to the difference between the EVF and OVF, and between the difference in feel in the hand of each.  I have particularly large hands and I have found so far that a DSLR just fits better.  For me, the larger the camera the better and I am looking forward to getting a grip for mine.

If you chose to make a switch again consider a used 80D, although the 77D is also very goof.  You can build a used set of lenses easily.  There are some very good non-L lenses that are an improvement over the basic IS kit lenses.  If you can avoid IS you can get better IQ for a lower cost.

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D +15 more
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,807

A little analysis please.  Is it the shooting experience (camera operation) that disappoints?  Or the resulting images?  Of course each of those areas is broad, can be further broken down.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
Statto1927
OP Statto1927 Forum Member • Posts: 75

Thanks John

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Statto1927

It’s not the images Kelly, happy with what comes out f the camera, so I guess it’s something else, but as I said, it’s hard to pin down. I like the PASM design rather than Fuji's more traditional multi button approach. The build quality is good. It’s comfortable to hold. It may be more operational/system as I was so used to the Canon system and interface - it’s hard because it’s one of those scenarios where I don’t dislike the Fuji per se,  but I feel that I’d be happier going back to and using Canon - BUT, the big question is going back to an older DSLR from a current mirrorless model a backward step I’d regret in a few months time?

-- hide signature --

Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 12,017

Since the day Canon introduced their first auto focus camera and their EF line of lenses I was among the Canon faithful and when I made the "switch" to digital my main cameras were the EOS3 and EOS/Elan7 along with several very good Canon lenses.

Because of my familiarity with Canon and my lenses I bough the brand new Canon 10D camera ($1500.00 at the time) and stayed with Canon until I decided to give mirrorless a try.

After trying, and losing money selling, both Sony and Olympus cameras (neither was right for me) and a few lenses, I decided mirrorless wasn't for me but a friend who owns a camera store talked me into trying a newly introduced Fiji X-E1.

The X-E1 wasn't perfect but I still liked it, very much, and I loved the Fuji lenses so I've stayed with Fuji and doubt that I'd ever change brands as long as Fuji keeps making cameras.

Just the same, I still have nothing bad to say about Canon and can understand why many people stay with Canon even when "switching" to mirrorless. I might have done the same but when I decided to give mirrorless a try Canon wasn't making a mirrorless camera.

I think the most  important thing is that a person should be happy with whatever model or brand camera they're using and, in your case, going back to Canon sounds like something that would make you happy.

Statto1927

Thanks for your thoughts Ed. Plenty to think about….

-- hide signature --

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,807

Statto1927 wrote:

It’s not the images Kelly, happy with what comes out f the camera, so I guess it’s something else, but as I said, it’s hard to pin down. I like the PASM design rather than Fuji's more traditional multi button approach.

The X-S10 should fix that?  The menu structures are quite different, I happen to get along with both.  Default button assignments and wheel locations are another possible factor.  That has to be checked with specific models, as the buttons and wheels can change within any brand.

The build quality is good. It’s comfortable to hold. It may be more operational/system as I was so used to the Canon system and interface - it’s hard because it’s one of those scenarios where I don’t dislike the Fuji per se, but I feel that I’d be happier going back to and using Canon - BUT, the big question is going back to an older DSLR from a current mirrorless model a backward step I’d regret in a few months time?

If you don't mind the extra DSLR weight (both body and lenses), then a DSLR might work.  I could still see myself using a nice DSLR in studio.  But out in the field I much prefer a modern mirrorless.

mumbles

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
Statto1927

Thanks Kelly

-- hide signature --

Krusty79 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,075

Too bad the EF-M selection is so poor. You may want to wait to see if this happens - https://www.canonrumors.com/there-may-be-as-many-as-three-rf-mount-aps-c-cameras-on-the-horizon-cr1/

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gkphotos79/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/greg79
"You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature" - Larry Andersen

Krusty79's gear list:Krusty79's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R IIIA Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Statto1927

Now that would be good…

not holding my breath though 😄

-- hide signature --

OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,451

I have a lot of cameras. Mirrorlees compact and DSLR. I have to say my Canon 70D is high on the list of being fun to use. So if that is what appeals to you just see if you can find some used Canon gear or reconditioned on the Canon website. That is how I got my 70D on a pre Thanksgiving Black Friday sale.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
tspear Regular Member • Posts: 145

I recently made the jump from Canon to Sony.

Before I did, I tested the latest bodies from Sony, Canon, Fuji and Nikon, Leika. The Leika just did not fit my hand, so that test lasted about 30 seconds

Fuji and Sony look, feel and shot like they were designed by engineers who never met a human interface designer. The number of nobs, buttons and positions, the ten ways to do something, the complicated menus organized around features instead of how a user uses them, trying to squeeze everything into as small a package as possible... The list goes on.

Nikon spent a more time on the ergonomics, with Canon way ahead of all the rest when it comes to ergonomics. Everything is minimal interface required, very simple (but unlike Apple actually gives you full control and hides nothing).

I have found that Sony and Fuji, the camera "engineering" is in the way of taking the shot compared to Canon or Nikon. I think for many Canon users, this can very disturbing.

I am in IT, so the engineer first mentality does not bother me, and is very recognizable and presents no issues. (ok, Sony it is first, last and only).

Tim

tspear's gear list:tspear's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +1 more
Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 3,517

Can you identify exactly what is wrong with Fuji for you? If you do, maybe you get the answer where to go.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +2 more

tspear wrote:

Before I did, I tested the latest bodies from Sony, Canon, Fuji and Nikon, Leika. The Leika just did not fit my hand, so that test lasted about 30 seconds

Fuji and Sony look, feel and shot like they were designed by engineers who never met a human interface designer. The number of nobs, buttons and positions, the ten ways to do something, the complicated menus organized around features instead of how a user uses them, trying to squeeze everything into as small a package as possible... The list goes on.

Nikon spent a more time on the ergonomics, with Canon way ahead of all the rest when it comes to ergonomics. Everything is minimal interface required, very simple (but unlike Apple actually gives you full control and hides nothing).

I have found that Sony and Fuji, the camera "engineering" is in the way of taking the shot compared to Canon or Nikon. I think for many Canon users, this can very disturbing.

I'm Sony user, who used Canon for app. 4 months (had A6400 and RP side by side). In some ways RP felt more advanced (great touch interface) but in some ways also limiting (way less possibilities of customisation, shocking example for me - not possible to set AF/MF switch). Canon forced me his way of control. I didn't like it, but used to it after like 3 weeks.

So in general I don't agree with your list "Canon way ahead", it's highly subjective topic.

I am in IT, so the engineer first mentality does not bother me, and is very recognizable and presents no issues. (ok, Sony it is first, last and only).

Tim

Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +2 more
Statto1927

👍

-- hide signature --

Statto1927

Martin_99 wrote:

Can you identify exactly what is wrong with Fuji for you? If you do, maybe you get the answer where to go.

No, and that’s the problem…😜

-- hide signature --

Statto1927 wrote:

Martin_99 wrote:

No, and that’s the problem…😜

My wife often have similar problem 😁😁😁

-- hide signature --

Statto1927

😂

-- hide signature --

tspear Regular Member • Posts: 145

Martin_99 wrote:

tspear wrote:

I'm Sony user, who used Canon for app. 4 months (had A6400 and RP side by side). In some ways RP felt more advanced (great touch interface) but in some ways also limiting (way less possibilities of customisation, shocking example for me - not possible to set AF/MF switch). Canon forced me his way of control. I didn't like it, but used to it after like 3 weeks.

So in general I don't agree with your list "Canon way ahead", it's highly subjective topic.

Tim

Ergonomics is almost always subjective.

Cheers.

Tim

tspear's gear list:tspear's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads