Samyang 14mm EF renewal or RF (manual)

Started 4 months ago | Questions
m_breeb_99 New Member • Posts: 3
Samyang 14mm EF renewal or RF (manual)

I am considering buying a manual 14mm Samyang wide angle lens for astrophotography in combination with my EOS RP. As I already have an EF adapter, there are two versions to choose from: the EF renewal (mark 2) version or the RF version (not considering the original EF version because it seems to be hit / miss in terms of quality). I was wondering which one to take. The RF version is slightly cheaper but not a lot.

Obviously, the immediate advantage of the RF version is that it doesn't need an adapter. On the other hand, the RF version is still heavier than the EF mark 2 version + adapter. Additionally, the Viltrox EF adapter has a tripod base, which probably makes for a better balanced setup.

Also, I noticed that the EF mark 2 version has focus lock which seems quite useful to me.

But at the end it probably boils down to image quality and chance to obtain a good copy. Which one would be better on these dimensions? And does anyone have other arguments to pick either one?

Thanks

m_breeb_99's gear list:m_breeb_99's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS RP Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,602
Re: Samyang 14mm EF renewal or RF (manual)

m_breeb_99 wrote:

I am considering buying a manual 14mm Samyang wide angle lens for astrophotography in combination with my EOS RP. As I already have an EF adapter, there are two versions to choose from: the EF renewal (mark 2) version or the RF version (not considering the original EF version because it seems to be hit / miss in terms of quality). I was wondering which one to take. The RF version is slightly cheaper but not a lot.

Obviously, the immediate advantage of the RF version is that it doesn't need an adapter. On the other hand, the RF version is still heavier than the EF mark 2 version + adapter. Additionally, the Viltrox EF adapter has a tripod base, which probably makes for a better balanced setup.

Also, I noticed that the EF mark 2 version has focus lock which seems quite useful to me.

But at the end it probably boils down to image quality and chance to obtain a good copy. Which one would be better on these dimensions? And does anyone have other arguments to pick either one?

Thanks

I am not sure what you mean by EF renewal mk ii ?

The Samyang 14mm lenses for Canon that I am aware of include (there may be others);

14mm f2.8 MF EF mount- I heard of one that may now include some lens communication (the Nikon version does communicate with Nikon bodies). This is a lottery - chances of getting a decent one might 1 in 4-5 lenses. They are cheap for a reason.

14mm f2.8 AF EF mount - IME slightly better than the MF version, but still a lottery.

14mm f2.4 XP MF EF mount - a completely different lens that gives the Sigma 14mm f1.8 Art a good run IQ-wise. Much better quality, very few reports of bad copies, full lens communications, including aperture setting & full exif. It doesn't have a focus lock - I think they only UWA lens I have handled that does (well it has an infinity click & I think a focus lock, and the infinity click was useless) is the Irix 15mm f2.4 (not that it was of any use because the ones I tried didn't focus to infinity properly). Much bigger, heavier & more costly than the cheap-and-cheerful f2.8 lenses, but still smaller, lighter & cheaper than the Sigma.

14mm RF - I have never tried one but there seems to be OK reports in the R forum.

As far as I know, the f2.4 XP version is head & shoulders better than any other Samyang 14mm lens - it is the one to get unless you want a native RF lens or budget is tight. I am very happy with mine - had it for nearly 3 years now.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
OP m_breeb_99 New Member • Posts: 3

See the samyang website for more detail on the "renewal" / mark 2 version.

Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS RP Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,602

m_breeb_99 wrote:

I know nothing about this Mk ii version, but I would be suspect as it is still the standard/cheap f2.8 lens "range", and still has an aperture ring which means it possibly (probably) doesn't communicate with the camera.

The specs on the website (which are not very comprehensive) appear to be almost identical to the old f2.8 lens but a little heavier (due to the addition of the focus lock ring ?). The specs are completely different to the f2.4 XP lens, so I don't think they have changed anything in the optics design (to make it closer to the XP), which may not be an issue since the old lens could be optically good - IF you got a good copy.

I would suggest a touch of Buyer Beware, and if you do buy one, get it from a reputable seller with a great zero cost returns returns policy because unless they have changed their QC strategy you may still go through 3-5 lenses before getting a good one.

Interestingly, the website doesn't list a single RF lens (when I choose ALL & RF mount) - maybe I am missing something ?

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Sittatunga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,523

Andy01 wrote:

m_breeb_99 wrote:

I know nothing about this Mk ii version, but I would be suspect as it is still the standard/cheap f2.8 lens "range", and still has an aperture ring which means it possibly (probably) doesn't communicate with the camera.

The specs on the website (which are not very comprehensive) appear to be almost identical to the old f2.8 lens but a little heavier (due to the addition of the focus lock ring ?). The specs are completely different to the f2.4 XP lens, so I don't think they have changed anything in the optics design (to make it closer to the XP), which may not be an issue since the old lens could be optically good - IF you got a good copy.

The pictures show no contacts on the lens mount.  I couldn't live with the moustache distortion of the RF mount MF version and sent it back within hours.

I would suggest a touch of Buyer Beware, and if you do buy one, get it from a reputable seller with a great zero cost returns returns policy because unless they have changed their QC strategy you may still go through 3-5 lenses before getting a good one.

Interestingly, the website doesn't list a single RF lens (when I choose ALL & RF mount) - maybe I am missing something ?

There's been a bit of discussion about that; see https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65251991

Colin

OP m_breeb_99 New Member • Posts: 3

I ended up with the RF version - it was the only one in stock. Some notes:

• nice build quality;
  • it doesn't work out of the box - needed to activate a deep menu option in my RP;
  • seems to give reasonable to good sharpness and pleasant colours;
  • (moustache) distortion is horrible indeed, never seen anything this bad. But pulling it through rawtherapee with lens profile made it a lot better, and I don't intend to do lots of close-up architecture anyway (where this would be most visible) so I've decided to not worry too much about it.

You get what you pay for. If Canon would make some cheaper RF lenses I would definitely bite, but given the price of the latest RF 14-35 F4 I am not holding my breath.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads