What level of a photographer would you rate me?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Dray26 Junior Member • Posts: 26
What level of a photographer would you rate me?

Hello! I was just wondering in the view of other people what level of a photographer would you put me at? (Amateur, Intermediate, Pro). I threw together a little random portfolio of some of the photos I have done.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ejno6JtTrhAB3Z4k2gb1ZAeG3ilr5zRK

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,655
Re: What level of a photographer would you rate me?

Eclectic

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 3,831
Very promising . . . Good eyes for composition. Unique style. Best regards! - n.t.

No text.

OP Dray26 Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: Very promising . . . Good eyes for composition. Unique style. Best regards! - n.t.

Thank you so much !

Which one does that match with lollllll? Amateur, Intermediate, or Pro lol?

Re: Very promising . . . Good eyes for composition. Unique style. Best regards! - n.t.

What do you think I would rate as? Amateur, Intermediate, or Pro?

BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,154
Pro???

Dray26 wrote:

Hello! I was just wondering in the view of other people what level of a photographer would you put me at? (Amateur, Intermediate, Pro). I threw together a little random portfolio of some of the photos I have done.

A friend of mine once worked at a chain photo company.  Olan Mills.  They had standard backdrops and lightiing and poses.  Work was reviewed at corporate as it was submitted for printing.  Woe betide those who altered the formula.

But, they were taking photographs and making money at it.  I was not even though my work was admired and I did do the occasional paid job.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +7 more
Re: Pro???

You think my level as a photographer would be at pro level? And I checked out your portfolio and you have some great work ! Keep it up !

tony field Forum Pro • Posts: 11,998

Dray26 wrote:

Kind of a tough one to judge. I'll go out on a limb and rate the images and say your images are an advanced form of beginner and definitely amateur. You are exploring a wide range of subject material to develop your eye. Quite often your images suffer in post-processing quality and often need a refinement of composition and better understanding of subject material.

Keep up the good work and you will get better as time goes on

-- hide signature --

Charles Darwin: "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
tony

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,691

Dray26 wrote:

I would think intermediate, better than a beginner, but not proficient.

Pro would not apply unless you are getting paid. But being professional does not imply any particular level of competency.

“Amateur” can mean low quality, but that word more literally means a lover of an art, someone who practices an art for the joy of it, and not for pay. Amateurs can be very competent.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
Bob
Bob Veteran Member • Posts: 3,088

Def not pro.

You have some skill and you obviously understand how to use the camera.

In order to understand your level, one needs to have some context.  Why are you taking photos in the first place?  For personal fun - then you’re awesome.   For commercial catalog work - unacceptable.

thinkinginimages
thinkinginimages Senior Member • Posts: 1,272

Nice work! I'm going to go with "pro" because some of these images could fall into the commercial photography market even with the artistic license you showed. That's good. Being a starving artist is no fun. Be careful, tho. There's a fine line between artistic license and cliche. I see a bit of a "style", a look. That's good.

I'm a retired pro. I photographed anything that paid the bills in any way that paid the bills. Sometimes it was creating art, most times it was just capturing images.

If you're pursuing this as a career, study the business, marketing, and presentation side, too. Be the art director as well as the photographer/artist.

Note: I never criticize or put down another artist or their work. I'd rather inspire someone and share the knowledge.

thinkinginimages's gear list:thinkinginimages's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 3,831

Dray26 wrote:

What do you think I would rate as? Amateur, Intermediate, or Pro?

I don't believe in such rating as an end to defining photography artistic skill.
You have a unique style, not run of the mill found in "wannabe" photographers.
Some rough spots in processing but that could be intentional because of the effect you want to create. 
I hope you do not turn yourself into a typical practitioner or ultra sharp, pinpoint focus,  perfect white balance, silky soft - gradual bokeh.  Just develop your own style to please yourself and hopefully a benefactor - - - not to please the general public and so called critics.

plumberdp69 Contributing Member • Posts: 612

Dray26 wrote:

Intermediate is my view.

Had a look, feel saturation is too high for me. Some people prefer high saturation, contrast but not me.

Good work. Keep it up.

plumberdp69's gear list:plumberdp69's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR

Thank you very much !

Could you please enlighten me more on what me images need work on?

Thank you for your response! I should of included some of the more “normal” portraits that I have done and included a lot of artistic photography I have done. I actually do make money off photography and I would like to ask why would it be unacceptable for a commercial catalog?

Thank you for your response ! I actually just threw a random bunch of photos I have done and I agree with you some of those are a little too high in saturation for my touch also but some of them that are, are from a year or two ago lol.

Thank you for your reply ! It feels good that you understand the artistic side of photography ! I have realized there are a lot of people who just follow these rules in photography and you’re not that good basically if you don’t follow them. In my opinion if it looks good it looks good, even if it doesn’t follow these so called rules which I believe there are none. it’s nice that someone is able to appreciate the artistic side of photography where we do what we like without so called rules.

Thank you for your response! I understand how it’s hard to just skill since everyone has their own opinions ! I actually do get paid for my photography which I am so grateful for !!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads