Dimage A2 Sure Does Hold Its Charge

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Renato1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,379
Dimage A2 Sure Does Hold Its Charge

I was going through my cupboard trying to find a spare camera bag when I came across my Dimage A2 that I hadn't used in years.
I turned it on and took a random picture in the room. Then I remembered that it hadn't come up with the "Enter Time and Date", that every other camera I haven't used in a while comes up with (including KM5D which uses the same battery).
So I checked what time and date it had - and it was correct to the minute. Then I checked the date of the last picture I took on it - it was in June 2012. So this camera had held the correct time for nine whole years without its battery going flat. Then I changed the battery, and it still held its settings - unlike some more recently manufactured old cameras I have, which lose their settings whenever the battery is removed.
I think that makes the A2 a good candidate for a car boot/trunk camera - the camera that is handy for odd unexpected occasions, but which you won't mind too much if the car gets broken into and the camera is stolen. Every other camera I've kept in the trunk/boot usually has a flat battery or batteries, when I go to use it in this way - and I often have to muck around by the trunk/boot light putting in the spare battery.
Regards,
Renato

Hike Pics
Hike Pics Senior Member • Posts: 2,381
Re: Dimage A2 Sure Does Hold Its Charge

The first question is, is that an OEM battery or an after-market one? If it's an OEM then that is incredible! New batteries are not that expensive and worth it. I have had to discard 2 Minolta batteries so far.

My last time out with my A2 was in 2018. I did have my A200 out last year.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 15,568

The OP is talking about the internal factory fitted battery , the one that keeps the time and date. That is why when you chare the manib battery you don't need to reset the date.

OP Renato1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,379

Hike Pics wrote:

The first question is, is that an OEM battery or an after-market one? If it's an OEM then that is incredible! New batteries are not that expensive and worth it. I have had to discard 2 Minolta batteries so far.

My last time out with my A2 was in 2018. I did have my A200 out last year.

I just checked - the battery has Konica Minolta NP-400 written on it.
I haven't discarded a single battery yet. I bought a few spares when I first bought KM - and they remain never-used.
Cheers,
Renato

FrancoD wrote:

The OP is talking about the internal factory fitted battery , the one that keeps the time and date. That is why when you chare the manib battery you don't need to reset the date.

Hi,
Actually I'm talking about both. The little internal battery still works fine after 17 years.
In sharp contrast I had also bought what at the time was Nikon's premium, highest end compact camera - the P7000 - made in late 2010. By early 2018, the internal batteries of that model started failing, and its big batteries stopped holding their charge for long lengths of time.
Regards,
Renato

Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,781

Renato1 wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

Hi,
Actually I'm talking about both. The little internal battery still works fine after 17 years.
In sharp contrast I had also bought what at the time was Nikon's premium, highest end compact camera - the P7000 - made in late 2010. By early 2018, the internal batteries of that model started failing, and its big batteries stopped holding their charge for long lengths of time.
Regards,
Renato

I remember my favourite Minolta 7000 died as the internal battery failed and it was not replaceable.  I regularly replace the main battery in my old cameras to avoid that problem. I also find the KM batteries to have excellent charge holding over several years.

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +5 more

Paul Barnard wrote:

I remember my favourite Minolta 7000 died as the internal battery failed and it was not replaceable. I regularly replace the main battery in my old cameras to avoid that problem. I also find the KM batteries to have excellent charge holding over several years.

Very annoying losing a camera in that fashion.
But that's the interesting question - does having a charged main battery stop the internal one from failing? Or is it better to keep unused cameras uncharged?
My Nikon P7000 always had a charged battery in it - and yet the internal battery failed. After that, when I'd see other P7000s turn up on Ebay, I'd ask the sellers if their ones held their settings when changing battery, and the answer was always "No".
Regards,
Renato

Hike Pics

That is great that you have had such good luck with batteries. I currently have 5 NP-800 (EN-L1) for both of my A200 cameras. The KM battery comes off the charger at 8.13v. I think that's great for such an old battery. But the way, it may sound strange but I label my batteries (A, B, C, etc) as well as their voltages right off the charger. It helps to keep up with ones that might be going bad. I have a Synergy Digital battery that reads full at only 4.83 volts.

One thing I have always liked about Canon cameras is they have the system battery in a user-friendly location. I just replaced the CR1220 batteries in all of mine. Should be good for a very long time.

Hike Pics wrote:

That is great that you have had such good luck with batteries. I currently have 5 NP-800 (EN-L1) for both of my A200 cameras. The KM battery comes off the charger at 8.13v. I think that's great for such an old battery. But the way, it may sound strange but I label my batteries (A, B, C, etc) as well as their voltages right off the charger. It helps to keep up with ones that might be going bad. I have a Synergy Digital battery that reads full at only 4.83 volts.

One thing I have always liked about Canon cameras is they have the system battery in a user-friendly location. I just replaced the CR1220 batteries in all of mine. Should be good for a very long time.

Thanks. Are your five batteries 15 or 16 years old like my ones, and you ever had a battery failure?
I remember at the time, a sales chap in a camera store saying to me that generally speaking, the NP400 batteries would last about four years, while third party ones would last three years. He idin't know much, as it turns out.

Interesting about the Canon cameras' internal battery. I have some old Powershots from the 2000s, and I haven't tested them out in ages. 
Regards,
Renato

Hike Pics

Two of the batteries were purchased new in 2019. The others came with either A200 that I purchased used.

I read in the A200 manual that says to charge the battery before each session. I usually just charge them as they get below half power.

Hike Pics wrote:

Two of the batteries were purchased new in 2019. The others came with either A200 that I purchased used.

I read in the A200 manual that says to charge the battery before each session. I usually just charge them as they get below half power.

So that's three batteries that are likely 16 years old which, if accurate, is pretty good going.
Regards,
Renato

Paul Barnard

Renato1 wrote:

Paul Barnard wrote:

I remember my favourite Minolta 7000 died as the internal battery failed and it was not replaceable. I regularly replace the main battery in my old cameras to avoid that problem. I also find the KM batteries to have excellent charge holding over several years.

Very annoying losing a camera in that fashion.
But that's the interesting question - does having a charged main battery stop the internal one from failing? Or is it better to keep unused cameras uncharged?
My Nikon P7000 always had a charged battery in it - and yet the internal battery failed. After that, when I'd see other P7000s turn up on Ebay, I'd ask the sellers if their ones held their settings when changing battery, and the answer was always "No".
Regards,
Renato

I believe the main battery is used to maintain the system and the backup only kicks in when it is removed or flat.

Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +5 more
The Mystery

This evening the thought crossed my mind that I also owned another Dimage A2, as well as a Dimage A1. I wondered how their batteries were holding up.
So I went and dug them up from a cupboard, but this time both their batteries - a Minolta and an Inca - were dead. The units wouldn't power up. So I put charged batteries into them, and they worked fine.
Too fine - they didn't ask me to enter the date, as they would had their internal batteries been discharged. And the Settings hadn't changed either. I checked the date and time on each - and they still held the correct date and time. Last time I used that A2 was in 2010, and the A1 in 2012 according to the pictures on their respective CF cards.
So - how is it possible for the main batteries to have gone flat, while the internal batteries held the date, time and settings for so long? They're only usually supposed to hold them and the other settings for a few days.
Regards,
Renato

Hike Pics
Re: The Mystery

I'm thinking not all camera brands are that way. I have had a couple of Kodaks that would still hold the date after the power battery was completely gone.

Of course, I don't really know, it might not take much power in the main battery to keep the internal battery up to date. Did you happen to check the voltages of those batteries before you charged them up?

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 15,568

I am guessing that the original internal battery is similar to the one I have in my solar powered watch. They can last 20 or more years and survive with very little charge for an extended time.

I have had mine for over 15 years and the "solar panel" is a 2mm or so ring around the watch face.

Mine is called CTL1616.

Re: The Mystery

Hike Pics wrote:

I'm thinking not all camera brands are that way. I have had a couple of Kodaks that would still hold the date after the power battery was completely gone.

Of course, I don't really know, it might not take much power in the main battery to keep the internal battery up to date. Did you happen to check the voltages of those batteries before you charged them up?

No, I've never checked voltages. If nothing works I just assume they're flat.
Cheers,
Renato

FrancoD wrote:

I am guessing that the original internal battery is similar to the one I have in my solar powered watch. They can last 20 or more years and survive with very little charge for an extended time.

I have had mine for over 15 years and the "solar panel" is a 2mm or so ring around the watch face.

Mine is called CTL1616.

Thanks for the possible explanation.
I wish that whatever Minolta did with internal batteries, Nikon had done with their pathetic Coolpix internal batteries.
Cheers,
Renato

Paul Barnard

Renato1 wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

Mine is called CTL1616.

I wish that whatever Minolta did with internal batteries, Nikon had done with their pathetic Coolpix internal batteries.
Cheers,
Renato

There are three typical options used for settings retention. First is using a simple battery. These are usually some kind of lithium technology button cell which are not chargeable in the device.  This can provide settings retention for a couple of years of no main battery. The second approach is to have the retention battery chargeable. This is a better option as the life can be many years but still does have a limit on charge cycles. The third method is using a device called a super capacitor. This has a very long life but less hold over time than a chargeable battery.

Paul Barnard wrote:

Renato1 wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

Mine is called CTL1616.

Cheers,
Renato

There are three typical options used for settings retention. First is using a simple battery. These are usually some kind of lithium technology button cell which are not chargeable in the device. This can provide settings retention for a couple of years of no main battery. The second approach is to have the retention battery chargeable. This is a better option as the life can be many years but still does have a limit on charge cycles. The third method is using a device called a super capacitor. This has a very long life but less hold over time than a chargeable battery.

Thanks. But would any of these three types hold settings over 11 years?
Certainly the KM5D and the KM7D don't. I've had to reset sttings on them several times in the last ten years.
Regards,
Renato

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads