A versatile wonder (Sigma 135/1.8 Art).

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,243
A versatile wonder (Sigma 135/1.8 Art).

I got a Sigma 135 Art when I retired and managed to get a good deal on it, too. That was a few years back ...

As the years pass I've found I get more and more interested in fast lenses, and I probably wouldn't buy one slower than f/4.0 now, no matter what kind of lens it is (prefer f/2.8 or faster)!

There were two Sigma lenses I was interested in then, either the Sigma 105 Art or the Sigma 135 Art, which weighs the same, and both have a good reputation.
Eventually, I opted for the 135 as I already had the Sigma 105 macro.

Before I was perfectly using it with my D7500 I needed to adjust the focus at about 30 ft, but no other issues have cropped up. Fast, and accurate focusing, and the sharpest lens I've come across  — in short.

I use Nikon 1 (crop factor 2.7), Nikon DX (crop factor 1.5), and Nikon FX (no crop!).

To be easy to use with my Nikon 1 cameras, I attached a grip (the Nikon LD-1000, attached to the BK-100 bracket) to the F-mount adapter (FT1), and that worked very well.

When mounted on my DX I see no need for a bracket, and the same is true when used with my worn FX camera.

Some random samples below, using DX and CX cameras.

Just a tiny crop, no PP otherwise.

Disabled girls out riding.

A Common Gull relaxing in the sun (some PP, not much)

This Great Tit is affected by some skin issue

This is how he should look like!

In short a delightful lens, which I would have loved in a VR/OS version!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
earthbound_ca Senior Member • Posts: 2,260
Re: A versatile wonder (Sigma 135/1.8 Art).

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Based on my own experience with the 135 and seeing your diverse subject matter, a full frame Nikon mirrorless might work well for you and would pair well with the 135 with the added bonus of IBIS.  For many (like me), Z mirrorless has breathed new life into their non-VR primes.  Also, with AF points around the frame, the Z mirrorless allows subject placement almost anywhere in the frame so the shooter can take advantage of the 135's across-the-frame sharpness whether wide open or stopped down.  Now that the Z7 II is out, Z7s can be had at lower prices.  The Z7's DX crop is about like the D7500 in terms of pixels count so it's kind of like having two cameras in one, one DX and one FX.  I don't wish to give you GAS but IBIS and a wide AF array really make a lens like the 135 Art complete.  Always enjoy your posts.  Take care!

Tord S Eriksson
OP Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,243

earthbound_ca wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Based on my own experience with the 135 and seeing your diverse subject matter, a full frame Nikon mirrorless might work well for you and would pair well with the 135 with the added bonus of IBIS. For many (like me), Z mirrorless has breathed new life into their non-VR primes. Also, with AF points around the frame, the Z mirrorless allows subject placement almost anywhere in the frame so the shooter can take advantage of the 135's across-the-frame sharpness whether wide open or stopped down. Now that the Z7 II is out, Z7s can be had at lower prices. The Z7's DX crop is about like the D7500 in terms of pixels count so it's kind of like having two cameras in one, one DX and one FX. I don't wish to give you GAS but IBIS and a wide AF array really make a lens like the 135 Art complete. Always enjoy your posts. Take care!

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I would not mind having a Z body, but funds are stretched as it is!
My D600 is getting a bit old, so a Z7 would be a great replacement, and I would love IBIS!

Yours,

Tord

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,262

dang, the eyelashes on that horse are sharp!

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Tord S Eriksson

rashid7 wrote:

dang, the eyelashes on that horse are sharp!

That lens is outstanding and totally trouble-free!
Works just as well with my FX, DX, and CX cameras!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

CptAmerica
CptAmerica Senior Member • Posts: 1,799

The Sigma ART 40 F1.4, 105 F1.4, and 135 F1.8 are some of the finest IQ lenses ever made. All 3 are gems. I own the 40 and 105.

The bokeh produced by the 105 I think is the best in the world:

CptAmerica's gear list:CptAmerica's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
Tord S Eriksson

CptAmerica wrote:

The Sigma ART 40 F1.4, 105 F1.4, and 135 F1.8 are some of the finest IQ lenses ever made. All 3 are gems. I own the 40 and 105.

The bokeh produced by the 105 I think is the best in the world:

Can only agree, 100%!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

ColoPhoto Forum Member • Posts: 83

I agree!  I have been very impressed with my Sigma art lenses.  The 135 and 40 are simply amazing lenses and I'm really tempted by the 105!   How does the 105 compare to the 135 in use?  Is it as bulky as it appears to be?

ColoPhoto's gear list:ColoPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +8 more
CptAmerica

ColoPhoto wrote:

I agree! I have been very impressed with my Sigma art lenses. The 135 and 40 are simply amazing lenses and I'm really tempted by the 105! How does the 105 compare to the 135 in use? Is it as bulky as it appears to be?

It's not a lens you want to walk around with much. It's almost a pound and half heavier than the 135. I think a tiny bit shorter, but has a 105mm front element. The glass is simply huge. I'm a big guy so the size and weight doesn't bother me. The IQ the 105 produces is just simply amazing... but for most practical comparisons, the 105 and 135 produce relatively equal IQ, the only real difference being the FL and tiny fstop difference. Either will serve you well... pick based on FL needs.

Nikon D850 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
Tord S Eriksson

CptAmerica wrote:

Superb shots!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

CptAmerica

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

CptAmerica wrote:

Superb shots!

Thank you. These guys are pretty tame, so the shots were possible with a 105.  Very little cropping.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads