Archiving/compressing big files (BRAW 6K)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
apekkpul Senior Member • Posts: 1,218
Archiving/compressing big files (BRAW 6K)

I will be traveling during the summer, and I will take my BMPCC 6K Pro and M1 Macbook Air (250GB) and Samsung T5 (1TB).

What would be a good way to keep file sizes decent?

No professional use, just a hobby, but I would still like to retain good quality of the clips.

I tried Resolve's Media Management and it seems to work pretty well. First I remove unwanted parts from the original clip, and the use Media Management -> Transcode (H.265, Quality Best, Render at source resolution,  Retain sub-black and super-white data). I used DaVinci Wide Gamut as a color management preset.

What are the best practices?

- Should I remove noise (and sharpen) before transcoding?

- Probably I should fix exposure and WB before transcoding?

- Anything about audio?

apekkpul's gear list:apekkpul's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +19 more
Canon EOS 1200D (EOS Rebel T5 / EOS Kiss X70)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP apekkpul Senior Member • Posts: 1,218
Re: Archiving/compressing big files (BRAW 6K)

Just to mention an example of the compression:

- Original file (6K, 12:1 BRAW)  is about 1 min, size is 3.72GB

- Transcoded H265 is 54 seconds and size 343MB

(Transcoded with Windows PC/NVIDIA)

Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +19 more
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 2,558

apekkpul wrote:

I will be traveling during the summer, and I will take my BMPCC 6K Pro and M1 Macbook Air (250GB) and Samsung T5 (1TB).

What would be a good way to keep file sizes decent?

No professional use, just a hobby, but I would still like to retain good quality of the clips.

I tried Resolve's Media Management and it seems to work pretty well. First I remove unwanted parts from the original clip, and the use Media Management -> Transcode (H.265, Quality Best, Render at source resolution, Retain sub-black and super-white data). I used DaVinci Wide Gamut as a color management preset.

What are the best practices?

- Should I remove noise (and sharpen) before transcoding?

- Probably I should fix exposure and WB before transcoding?

- Anything about audio?

The point of recording raw is so you have flexibility. Unless you think you'll never need to change things in the future I wouldn't transcode it.

If you think the clip is now perfect and ready to deliver I guess you could transcode it but what happens if you change your mind?

What you're suggesting is the equivalent of shooting raw stills and converting them to JPG. Would you? If so when?  Same idea with video.

Honestly I'd just get a bigger external HDD. You don't need speed for archival storage.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,986

I agree with NickZ2016 above. The whole point of shooting BRAW is to maintain flexibility and transcoding to h.265 should be done after all your adjustments are done (for final rendering).

I don't know much about Macs but maybe buy more SSD's or get a bigger hard drive for your mac (as stated above) or an external drive???

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
OP apekkpul Senior Member • Posts: 1,218

Thanks both. I agree that with additional external drives it is easy to overcome the storage issue.

Transcoding has another side effect - it makes clips visible. I have been using Kyno for the media management. It was a great tool, works with Windows and Mac. But it does not support the Gen5 color science (default for the BMPCC 6K Pro) and recently the Kyno's developer (Lesspain software) was acquired by Signiant, and there has not been any updates to Kyno since then (nor any communication if they keep supporting the software at all). Before the Kyno supported BRAW (gen4), I transcoded clips with Adobe Encoder and 3rd party BRAW plug-in. Hated the process but it was good have a visibility to all content. (I kept the original BRAW files.)

Maybe I will do something similar: keep BRAW files  and generate small (proxy-sized) files to get visibility.

Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,986

apekkpul wrote:

Maybe I will do something similar: keep BRAW files and generate small (proxy-sized) files to get visibility.

That sounds like a good plan.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads