What is this?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
alexportrait Forum Member • Posts: 96
What is this?

I have background stands with these, lost the other one and have no idea of the name so I can look on Amazon or my local camera store 😂  Help? Thank you!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ScratchDisk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,788
Re: What is this?

Hi, Try: 5/8 double spigot - or - 5/8 double stud . . . under Photo & . . .

Overall Brass is best. Also think through whether or not you'd like to have flats machined into the 'neck' of each stud. The flat resists rotation - sometimes desirable, sometimes not.

. . The original Manfrotto item in Brass does not have machined flats.

https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/double-end-stud-1-4-20-3-8-adapter-spigot-013/

ScratchDisk's gear list:ScratchDisk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS 90D
Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,969

Search for lightstand spigot on ebay or Amazon. You'll find a number of choices.

Like the post above, I like brass, but plated steel like the one you show will work. Be  wary of aluminum, they are usually too soft to last long. Manfrotto are great, but cheaper ones will work.

Order a couple of spares while you're at it. They do tend to slip away.

Gato

Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Contributing Member • Posts: 563

It is a reversible light stand spigot. On

Manfrotto and possibly other makes of light stands a have socket on set-screw in the top section that accepts theses spigots and other accessories such as boom arms, Various Monfrotto articulatde arms and clamps alos have theses sockets. The spogit in you inage has the two standard size of screw-threads that are compatable with the tripod sockets of most lightg gear that requres light stad support. The smaller size is 1/4 X 20 UNC and the larger tripod sockte size is 3/8 X 16 UNC.

Here's a link to every maner of spigot:

manfrotto spigots - Bing images

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,728

Ed Shapiro wrote:

[...]

This has ignited a long-dormant question: when the spigot has a hole drilled through it, what is the hole for? As in this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images2500x2500/Manfrotto_118_118_Universal_Short_Spigot_546497.jpg

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

tugwilson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,454

rumple wrote:

Ed Shapiro wrote:

[...]

This has ignited a long-dormant question: when the spigot has a hole drilled through it, what is the hole for? As in this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images2500x2500/Manfrotto_118_118_Universal_Short_Spigot_546497.jpg

I'd always assumed it was for a pry bar to tighten/loosen it.

rumple

tugwilson wrote:

rumple wrote:

Ed Shapiro wrote:

[...]

That does make sense.  And I usually have a screwdriver around that acts as a good ad-hoc prybar, although I have always just used pliers.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Contributing Member • Posts: 563

rumple wrote:

tugwilson wrote:

rumple wrote:

Ed Shapiro wrote:

[...]

That does make sense. And I usually have a screwdriver around that acts as a good ad-hoc prybar, although I have always just used pliers.

I have drawers full of these various spigots and other pieces of stand and tripod hardwear- they are my go-to tinker-toys which I am building a commercial set, trying to adapt something to somethg else that wasn't made to be adapted.

The undocumented hold most are for some piece f gear that I don't have or know about but I have used it to slide things through and have drilled and tapped a 1/4 x 20 threaded hole at some of oneof them to accommodate a set screw.

My problem is that, although I am probably weakening with age, I have always had and still have very large and strong hands. I also have a terrible habit of over-tightening all the screws, sleeves and locking mechanisms on all my tripods, stands and clamps. My assistants nicknamed me "wrench-hands" and initiated a policy of not allowing me to set up the stands unless nobody else is there to assist. Seems there are just so many times you can repair a stripped thread or drill and tap an alternative hole on the same piece of equipment and what with the increasing price of support gear- what can I say? My bad!

So, from personal experience, I can tell y'all if you need to use pliers and levers to loosen your gear, you are probably over-tightening it, Moderate hand-tightening toque will usually keep things attached. We do routinely apply some non-grassy silicone kinda lubricant to the spigots and screw threads to keep them easy to screw in and out. Pliers are bad news, especially on the tripod and stand sections that are no easily interchangeable like the spigots. Tubular metal sections can be deformed and badly marred.

I am a big Manfrotto fan because they actually have spare parts going back some 20 years. I also have some Mathews gear but have managed not to kill any of it as yet.

Here's a link to the Manfrotto spare parts department:

Manfrotto Spares and Parts | Manfrotto Spares

I hope this helps!  Ed- (AKA Mr. Wrenchhands):-P

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

rumple

Ed Shapiro wrote:

rumple wrote:

tugwilson wrote:

rumple wrote:

Ed Shapiro wrote:

[...]

That does make sense. And I usually have a screwdriver around that acts as a good ad-hoc prybar, although I have always just used pliers.

[...]

So, from personal experience, I can tell y'all if you need to use pliers and levers to loosen your gear, you are probably over-tightening it, Moderate hand-tightening toque will usually keep things attached.

As always your advice is appreciated.

[...]

I hope this helps! Ed- (AKA Mr. Wrenchhands):-P

That is a great nickname!

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,507

alexportrait wrote:

I have background stands with these, lost the other one and have no idea of the name so I can look on Amazon or my local camera store 😂 Help? Thank you!

Everyone knows it's a thingamabob or a doohickey. Thanks to the rest of the posters who know the real name.. lol

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
rumple

GreatWhiteWing wrote:

Everyone knows it's a thingamabob or a doohickey. Thanks to the rest of the posters who know the real name.. lol

I have just called it, until now, a snow cone maker .

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,507

rumple wrote:

GreatWhiteWing wrote:

I have just called it, until now, a snow cone maker .

That's what I said... lol

A thinga-snow-cone-maker-a-bob

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads