Another failed lens

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,870
Another failed lens

So, after work today I decided to participate in this thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4582620

I took one of my V1s outside with a tripod, a 10-30, a 30-110 and my 10-100. I simply wanted to do what Sybersitizen did and shoot a scene with the 10-30 at 10mm, the 30-110 at 100mm and the 10-100 at both extremes. Pretty simple, only took a few minutes and I was back at my computer looking at the results. When I saw the 10mm shot from the 10-30 it was very fuzzy and thought “wth?” Anyway, long story short, the aperture is stuck at minimum with the safety blind half way across, forming kind of a D shape. This is a lens that was sent in for a precautionary check a year or so ago and has the black marker in the locking notch. I have a second one but it is at another house. This makes 3 for me so far, a 10mm, a 30-110 and now a 10-30. I guess I’ll use what I got and when they all fail I’ll pack em up in one box and send them all to our friend in Hong Kong to install metal gears. It really amazes me that Nikon hung their hat on this design.

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +27 more
RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,083
Re: Another failed lens

I'm sorry to hear that. I've got 2 or 3 of the 10-30 non PD, and I think they have all been "fixed" in the Nikon free repair program. But I've not used any of them since getting a couple PD version 10-30s with bodies I've added.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

Paul Pasco
OP Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,870

RichDitch wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. I've got 2 or 3 of the 10-30 non PD, and I think they have all been "fixed" in the Nikon free repair program. But I've not used any of them since getting a couple PD version 10-30s with bodies I've added.

I haven't used this one much either and now, never again.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,635

Paul Pasco wrote:

I took one of my V1s outside with a tripod, a 10-30, a 30-110 and my 10-100. I simply wanted to do what Sybersitizen did and shoot a scene with the 10-30 at 10mm, the 30-110 at 100mm and the 10-100 at both extremes. Pretty simple, only took a few minutes and I was back at my computer looking at the results. When I saw the 10mm shot from the 10-30 it was very fuzzy and thought “wth?” Anyway, long story short, the aperture is stuck at minimum with the safety blind half way across, forming kind of a D shape. This is a lens that was sent in for a precautionary check a year or so ago and has the black marker in the locking notch. I have a second one but it is at another house. This makes 3 for me so far, a 10mm, a 30-110 and now a 10-30. I guess I’ll use what I got and when they all fail I’ll pack em up in one box and send them all to our friend in Hong Kong to install metal gears. It really amazes me that Nikon hung their hat on this design.

Paul,

I agree that Nikon handled this very oddly.

By the way, Huang is in Taiwan, isn't he?!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Paul Pasco

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

Paul,

My mistake, sorry!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

MYDC Junior Member • Posts: 42

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

Paul,

Yeah I'm in Taiwan.

Recently I'm repairing 10-100 PD, it's a hard lens for repair. It's a strange mechanics design lens.

Huang

Tord S Eriksson

MYDC wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

Paul,

Yeah I'm in Taiwan.

Recently I'm repairing 10-100 PD, it's a hard lens for repair. It's a strange mechanics design lens.

Huang

Glad to hear you haven't given up on us Nikon 1 enthusiasts!

Stay away from the Covid!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

Paul Pasco wrote:

It really amazes me that Nikon hung their hat on this design.

Agreed! Nikon has a lot of top-notch designers and engineers, and this is an example of bad design and engineering. I have other Nikon lenses in F-mount, and all of them have worked perfectly. But the year that this lens and other 1 Nikkors were released coincides with the era that Nikon was having issues with quality assurance and quality control. The one that included AF sensor misalignment in the D800, oil splatter on the sensor in the D600, and multiple issues leading to multiple service advisories for the D750.  The Nikon bean counters undoubtedly had too much influence over manufacturing decisions at that time.

I believe that the aperture issue may have been the main reason the Nikon 1 system was discontinued. Too much re-engineering and redesigning would need to have been done. The resources were undoubtedly better put towards developing the Z-mount system. Still - I really like the system. I wish that Nikon had further developed it and fixed its weaknesses.

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Paul Pasco

cyuill2007 wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

Agreed! Nikon has a lot of top-notch designers and engineers, and this is an example of bad design and engineering. I have other Nikon lenses in F-mount, and all of them have worked perfectly. But the year that this lens and other 1 Nikkors were released coincides with the era that Nikon was having issues with quality assurance and quality control. The one that included AF sensor misalignment in the D800, oil splatter on the sensor in the D600, and multiple issues leading to multiple service advisories for the D750. The Nikon bean counters undoubtedly had too much influence over manufacturing decisions at that time.

I believe that the aperture issue may have been the main reason the Nikon 1 system was discontinued. Too much re-engineering and redesigning would need to have been done. The resources were undoubtedly better put towards developing the Z-mount system. Still - I really like the system. I wish that Nikon had further developed it and fixed its weaknesses.

6 or 7 years ago when people started to post about this or that lens failing I was a denier, and I assumed that the recall on the kit lens was the extent of Nikon’s poor engineering and that they probably had learned from that and lenses going forward would be corrected. It may be that only the 6.7-13 and the 70-300 were the only ones spared the cracked gear syndrome (but the 70-300 suffered its own unique issue). Now I believe that for most lenses it’s a matter or when, not if they are going to fail. There is a former member who’s name escapes me now that I owe an apology to for saying all of their N1 lens failures were just bad luck!

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

My Nikon 1 gear worked fine from late 2012 until mid-2017, when both my 10-30mm and 30-110mm lenses developed the aperture issue within a month of each other. Before that I also thought users who had failed lenses were just unlucky. I had to change that opinion quite quickly.

What irks me is that I sent in the 10-30 to be repaired under the recall twice. The aperture works fine, but the VR doesn’t. My 30-110mm lens was repaired properly, but has developed the aperture issue for the second time. I should just get a couple of those metal gears from Mr Huang and be done with it. Or send in the two lenses to be fixed.

Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
MYDC Junior Member • Posts: 42

cyuill2007 wrote:

My Nikon 1 gear worked fine from late 2012 until mid-2017, when both my 10-30mm and 30-110mm lenses developed the aperture issue within a month of each other. Before that I also thought users who had failed lenses were just unlucky. I had to change that opinion quite quickly.

What irks me is that I sent in the 10-30 to be repaired under the recall twice. The aperture works fine, but the VR doesn’t. My 30-110mm lens was repaired properly, but has developed the aperture issue for the second time. I should just get a couple of those metal gears from Mr Huang and be done with it. Or send in the two lenses to be fixed.

Hi, cyuill2007

You can order gears. Or sent lenses to us. If you have DIY ability that you can order form my shop store gear link site.

This is 10-30 lens change aperture diagram. All must separate on that show.

No.7 need take care

replace average time maybe 30 mins- 2 hrs.

But If you don't have DIY ability, I think the better way is shipping to us.

Huang

Fair enough! Thank you for this detailed information.

Tord S Eriksson

cyuill2007 wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

Agreed! Nikon has a lot of top-notch designers and engineers, and this is an example of bad design and engineering. I have other Nikon lenses in F-mount, and all of them have worked perfectly. But the year that this lens and other 1 Nikkors were released coincides with the era that Nikon was having issues with quality assurance and quality control. The one that included AF sensor misalignment in the D800, oil splatter on the sensor in the D600, and multiple issues leading to multiple service advisories for the D750. The Nikon bean counters undoubtedly had too much influence over manufacturing decisions at that time.

Agree totally, the cost of redesigning all Nikon 1 lenses, and replacing those that had failed would have been prohibitive!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

ColdEd Regular Member • Posts: 241

cyuill2007 wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

I've thought that too. There were many reason for Nikon to downsize their product line - but the looming problems with the poorly implemented lens gearing was going to catch up to them. Jettisoning the product line cut that problem off, I think.

So far, none of my lenses have failed. But a couple of months back I ordered some replacement gears to have on hand - just in case.

ColdEd's gear list:ColdEd's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
tomhongkong Veteran Member • Posts: 4,329

Paul Pasco wrote:

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul

I have been away from N1 for a few years, primarily because a few of my lenses failed and I decided that I needed something more reliable so sold everything.

I really enjoyed using all of my cameras, V1, V2 and V3.

If there is someone here in Hong Kong who could fix the lenses (and I thought it was the ribbon cables which were failing, rather than the gears) I might have another go.

Could you either post or PM me with details.....who the repair shop is, cost of repair, etc?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I don't often frequent this forum these days

Many thanks

tom

Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,176

My beloved 30-110 also failed in 2019 around the 5 year mark and I had to send it into Nikon twice to have it properly repaired. It was de-centered after the initial repair. I suspect the mean time between failure, MTBF, on this gear is around 4 to 5 years.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Paul Pasco

tomhongkong wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul

I have been away from N1 for a few years, primarily because a few of my lenses failed and I decided that I needed something more reliable so sold everything.

If there is someone here in Hong Kong who could fix the lenses (and I thought it was the ribbon cables which were failing, rather than the gears) I might have another go.

Could you either post or PM me with details.....who the repair shop is, cost of repair, etc?

Many thanks

tom

Hi Tom, I was mistaken about Hong Kong, it’s Taiwan but I don’t have the exact info handy but he is a forum member and responded to this thread. His forum handle is MYDC and his name is a Huang.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

tomhongkong Veteran Member • Posts: 4,329

Paul Pasco wrote:

tomhongkong wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul

Many thanks

tom

Hi Tom, I was mistaken about Hong Kong, it’s Taiwan but I don’t have the exact info handy but he is a forum member and responded to this thread. His forum handle is MYDC and his name is a Huang.

Paul

Thanks for this info.  I will follow up with him directly and find out what he does

I may be back!

tom

rick in vegas Senior Member • Posts: 1,150

Im done with the V system. Have started to sell all gear. Might keep J5 and PD zoom

rick in vegas's gear list:rick in vegas's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Nikkor Z 24-120mm F4 S
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,664

Paul Pasco wrote:

cyuill2007 wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

6 or 7 years ago when people started to post about this or that lens failing I was a denier, and I assumed that the recall on the kit lens was the extent of Nikon’s poor engineering and that they probably had learned from that and lenses going forward would be corrected. It may be that only the 6.7-13 and the 70-300 were the only ones spared the cracked gear syndrome (but the 70-300 suffered its own unique issue). Now I believe that for most lenses it’s a matter or when, not if they are going to fail. There is a former member who’s name escapes me now that I owe an apology to for saying all of their N1 lens failures were just bad luck!

i wonder if the problems were another part of the equation that led to the system being stopped, be quite a nightmare if this had continued with a ongoing system

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads