Tokina 100mm f/2.8 ATX-i FF Macro?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
jdurant Junior Member • Posts: 36
Tokina 100mm f/2.8 ATX-i FF Macro?

Hi,

Does anyone own the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 ATX-i FF Macro? I can't find any good information online about it. Most of the reviews seem to be for the previous ATX (non-i) version. Is the ATX-i version the same as as the ATX version with only cosmetic changes or is the newer version optically better/better autofocus. I am trying to decide if I am better off buying a new copy (ATX-i) or a lightly used version of the older (ATX) release.

Thanks!

jimdelves
jimdelves Regular Member • Posts: 387
Re: Tokina 100mm f/2.8 ATX-i FF Macro?

I can’t speak for the i version but the ATX version is just brilliant. It might be my favourite lens ever. Superb macro lens, great portrait lens and small and light it makes an excellent walk-around lens. It’s on my D850 probably more than any other lens. You really can’t go wrong with it

jimdelves's gear list:jimdelves's gear list
Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +7 more
Michigan Sandman
Michigan Sandman Regular Member • Posts: 497

I have had the a Nikon mount ATX version of the 100mm Macro for six years, and this lens has made more money for me than all my other lenses combined. The colors the lens transmits along with the saturation, makes this an excellent macro, portrait, and general walk around lens. I have seven different Micro Nikkor macro lenses, and the Tokina is usually the one I reach for, unless I need more length. I have no idea what the (i) even stands for one the more recent Tokina Macro 100 lens

Michigan Sandman's gear list:Michigan Sandman's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3 Nikon D100 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X +129 more
OP jdurant Junior Member • Posts: 36

Thanks for your experience! It sounds like I can't go wrong either way.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads