Re: 3.3.4 released today

Henry Richardson wrote:

JimH123 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

JimH123 wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Sharpen AI 3.3.3 was released a few hours ago. Looks like many bug fixes. Also, Topaz had this additional comment:

We’ll also be releasing a new update to every model soon which should solve several image quality issues, including the image shifting slightly, and causing halos.

Topaz developer gave an update today on the new models:

It’s taking a little longer than planned, and will require another app patch, unfortunately. I assure you the extra time taken will be worth it once they’re out, though.

The new version 3.3.4 was released today.

https://community.topazlabs.com/t/sharpen-ai-v3-3/27659/153

Lots of changes and bug fixes.

Regarding your comment in the release notes, about changing the model in the comparison view, I tied it multiple ways and had no issues whatsoever. Version 3.3.4 is working perfectly for me and it may actually be working faster. I haven't encountered any problems so far. But I certainly have not yet exhausted all possible use models.

Over the last few months and multiple releases several people have reported this problem, but it never hit me until 3.3.4. I have noticed several other less serious bugs in the comparison view, particularly since they added the ability to change the one in the upper left. Things such as sometimes changing the model for a panel, but the label not changing so you don't know if it really changed. Or sometimes one or two panels not updating when you make a setting change.

I think I will uninstall and then delete Sharpen AI folders in the Windows AppData folder. Then reinstall.

I have tried changing panels and it worked OK. But they aren't remembering their last state.

I will play some more with it tomorrow.

Just noticed something. I download Denoise AI 3.3.4 which was a new download on the Topaz site. And it shows Sharpen AI still at 3.3.3.

I don't see a 3.3.4 download for Sharpen AI. Then looked at you link and I do see it there. I will download later. Maybe that link is a beta?

No, not beta. That is another reported bug in 3.3.3 and 3.3.4 that new versions don't show up sometimes except at the link I provided.

I successfully downloaded the full install version of Sharpen AI 3.3.4, and it is running perfectly with the half dozen or so images I just tried it on. I am having no problems with changing panel models and could do it over and over again as many times as I wanted. Nothing appeared to not be working.

And the results. WOW! The results are even an improvement from earlier versions. I have yet to see a halo or any artifacts to form.

I have to say that I am very pleased with what I see so far.

So far, I have tried this on results from 3 of my cameras and a few different lenses. Results are very good for all of them.

Here is an example. Image taken with Olympus EM1ii along with a 75-300mm lens and shot at 300mm. With the 2x crop factor, this would be the same angle of view as I would get from my 600mm lens on a full frame body. Notice that there is an insect on the center pinecone. This image is the result of using the RAW file directly into this new version of Sharpen AI and I used the motion-very blurry model.

Sharpen AI motion-very blurry model.

Next, I used the above image and directly loaded it into Gigapixel AI where I cropped it and resized by 4x. Now that insect is almost identifiable. For this image to turn out as well as it did, the first image has to be quite clean giving Gigapixel AI something to work with. For a 4x resize, it means 15 new pixels are invented for every 1 existing pixel.

Also tried the 6x resizing. Now 6x means that Gigapixel AI had to invent 35 new pixels for every 1 existing pixel. I tend to not like using 6x, but I thought for this one, why not!

Looking forward now to when Topaz finishes the new way of doing AI with DeNoise AI and Gigapixel AI.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Sony RX100 VII Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II +2 more
Ramon767 Regular Member • Posts: 273
Re: 3.3.4 released today

Interesting, great that it works for you!

i’ve been doing my sharpening in PS, it’s awesome also.
I nearly bought one of these apps, so glad I didn’t and learnt how to use the one programme I have but couldn’t really use.

Ramon767's gear list:Ramon767's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +2 more
JimH123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703
Continuing testing of 3.3.4

From what I have seen of Sharpen AI version 3.3.4, it is a game changer. I have been comparing results from earlier revisions and there is no comparison - 3.3.4 is better. And I am not seeing any halos or artifacts. Topaz has really raised the bar.

I am attaching a side-by-side of some cherry blossoms with the new Sharpen AI on the left and the original RAW on the right for a comparison. This is a tight crop just to be able to see what it is doing. Note the fine detail. The improvement is obvious.

Image was taken using a Sony A7iii with an older manual everything Asahi Pentax Takumar 105mm lens at f16. I used the Motion-Very Blurry model for this image.

One more example, just in case you aren't yet convinced what this software can do.  This time it is a tightly cropped image of a tiny jumping spider.  The sharpened image on the left and the original RAW on the right.  I used the Motion - Blurry model.

I used my older Olympus EM5ii with a 40-150mm lens (not the f2.8 pro version, but the cheapee version, along with a Minolta #0 Close Up lens.  And this was hand held.

Nikon Coolpix P1000 Sony RX100 VII Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II +2 more
NorfolkBirder
OP NorfolkBirder Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Continuing testing of 3.3.4

Download 3.3.4 on tomorrow's to do list 👍

-- hide signature --

Obsess much.

NorfolkBirder's gear list:NorfolkBirder's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +1 more
One more example

The jumping spider waited for an ant that was walking on the bottom side of the left and when it got to the edge, the jumping spider reached down under the leaf and pulled up that ant.

We are seeing here that using an inexpensive lens can have its results improved to the point it starts to produce results expected from a high-end lens. Of course, the high-end lenses can have wider apertures and can focus faster, and other good things. But the SW tools are now allowing someone with the less expensive lenses to produce results that may approach what a high-end lens normally produces.

Again, the Sharpen AI result on the left and the original RAW on the right. And again, tightly cropped.

But I suppose we will hear the chorus of those that claim they see no difference.

Adding an example showing that the new Sharpen AI followed Gigapixel AI produces great results.  Olympus EM1ii and 60mm macro lens.

Unopened rose bud with ant tending to the aphids.

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,781

JimH123 wrote:

From what I have seen of Sharpen AI version 3.3.4, it is a game changer. I have been comparing results from earlier revisions and there is no comparison - 3.3.4 is better. And I am not seeing any halos or artifacts. Topaz has really raised the bar.

Do you have both 3.3.3 and 3.3.4 installed to make it easy to compare?  I only have 3.3.4 installed.  It would be cool if you would show 3.3.3 and 3.3.4 photos side-by-side that shows the game changing improvements.

By the way, 3.3.4 indicates that only the Motion Blur - Very Blurry and Too Soft - Very Blurry models were updated to version 2.  The rest still say version 1 so, presumably, they have not changed and not improved.

I am attaching a side-by-side of some cherry blossoms with the new Sharpen AI on the left and the original RAW on the right for a comparison. This is a tight crop just to be able to see what it is doing. Note the fine detail. The improvement is obvious.

Image was taken using a Sony A7iii with an older manual everything Asahi Pentax Takumar 105mm lens at f16. I used the Motion-Very Blurry model for this image.

One more example, just in case you aren't yet convinced what this software can do. This time it is a tightly cropped image of a tiny jumping spider. The sharpened image on the left and the original RAW on the right. I used the Motion - Blurry model.

I used my older Olympus EM5ii with a 40-150mm lens (not the f2.8 pro version, but the cheapee version, along with a Minolta #0 Close Up lens. And this was hand held.

Thanks for these comparisons.  Looks good!

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

I no longer have sharpen AI 3.3.3 installed as the normal installation process only leaves the one being installed.

I did compare a few old conversions to 3.3.4, and there was a noticeable difference in results. 3.3.4 is a keeper.

Without knowing which models were the updated models, I had picked out motion-blurry and too soft-blurry as the best results that I was getting.  This is another confirmation of the effect is real.

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,781

JimH123 wrote:

I no longer have sharpen AI 3.3.3 installed as the normal installation process only leaves the one being installed.

Same with me.

I did compare a few old conversions to 3.3.4, and there was a noticeable difference in results. 3.3.4 is a keeper.

Although I have some old conversions I did not save all the info about them such as the settings used so I can't easily do direct comparisons with 3.3.4.

Without knowing which models were the updated models, I had picked out motion-blurry and too soft-blurry as the best results that I was getting. This is another confirmation of the effect is real.

All of the models have v1 or v2 written next to them.  That means version 1 and version 2.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Maverick07 Regular Member • Posts: 377
Release of SAI 3.3.5

I just downloaded 3.3.5. Appears the shutting down of the app has been fixed. This was occurring when using the Edge Aware. Just tried it on an image and no problems.

Maverick07's gear list:Maverick07's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads