How to get this matte effect in Lightroom?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Nebell
Nebell Regular Member • Posts: 339
How to get this matte effect in Lightroom?

I photograph motorsport and use very slow shutter speed. This inevitably creates a lot of blur on the cars. It's especially noticeable on cars with a lot of text. So pretty much all of them. While some are great, some of them I want to keep but I'm not happy with them.

I found a preset, I'm not sure where but it somehow manages to make the blur less noticeable. The problem is, it also completely destroys natural color.
I have tried to recreate the effect without affecting the natural colors but since I'm new to photography, I have not been successful.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to get this "blur reducing matte effect" without destroying the colors?
Here's an example:
My normal edit:

The preset that makes blur on the car look less pronounced:

Nebell's gear list:Nebell's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS
Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,960
Re: How to get this matte effect in Lightroom?

OK, I gave it a go. I found the general streaking on the second car & the background a distraction so blurred then using gaussian blur. Some sharpening applied with a slight shift in colour.

Rodger in Edmonton
Rodger in Edmonton Veteran Member • Posts: 3,721

You may find this tutorial instructive to your goals:

Generate "Perspective Motion" with Photoshop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL1BvOtd5zY

-- hide signature --

Best Regards, Rodger
Save Lives - Be an Organ or Stem Cell Donor.
Quaecumque vera

Nebell
OP Nebell Regular Member • Posts: 339

Keit ll wrote:

OK, I gave it a go. I found the general streaking on the second car & the background a distraction so blurred then using gaussian blur. Some sharpening applied with a slight shift in colour.

You did a great job with the overall sharpening, although the text got worse. I'm going for the look in my second photo without the unnatural color.

Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS
Nebell
OP Nebell Regular Member • Posts: 339

Rodger in Edmonton wrote:

You may find this tutorial instructive to your goals:

Generate "Perspective Motion" with Photoshop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL1BvOtd5zY

That's unfortunately not what I'm looking for as I don't want to freeze the cars then edit hundreds of pictures to make them look like they are in motion.
Thanks anyway

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,917

It might help if you told us what parameters the preset was changing, and to what.

It looks like changing the color is what the effect is, although maybe some contrast too. And the white is toned down.

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,691
Matte

Nebell wrote:

I found a preset, I'm not sure where but it somehow manages to make the blur less noticeable. The problem is, it also completely destroys natural color.
I have tried to recreate the effect without affecting the natural colors but since I'm new to photography, I have not been successful.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to get this "blur reducing matte effect" without destroying the colors?

In the arts, one of the main meanings of the word matte is a dull, lusterless finish, one that isn't particularly shiny but rather one that mostly diffuses light shining on it rather than strongly reflecting it. I'd guess that is what you are writing about.

Now a digital image doesn't have the ability to be glossy or matte, as those are properties of printing papers. But one consequence of printing on matte paper is lowered contrast and color 'pop' compared to printing on gloss.

Contrast is what makes things noticeable. Maybe if you turn down contrast in Lightroom you'll get a similar effect, or maybe also lower the highlights, which is one side-effect of the preset you are using.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 4,211

Nebell wrote:

I photograph motorsport and use very slow shutter speed. This inevitably creates a lot of blur on the cars. It's especially noticeable on cars with a lot of text. So pretty much all of them. While some are great, some of them I want to keep but I'm not happy with them.

Here's an example:
My normal edit:

The preset that makes blur on the car look less pronounced:

Not really sure what you're after ...something like this?

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads