K3 review from PC mag

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
cyanhue Regular Member • Posts: 179
K3 review from PC mag

not the best source of camera reviews, but still more reviews is good.
not much new here, the review seems reasonably fair, but not very positive except for existing Pentax users.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/pentax-k-3-mark-iii

cyanhue's gear list:cyanhue's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +3 more
PentUp Senior Member • Posts: 2,415
Re: K3 review from PC mag

Yeah, the reviewer shows a clear and sometimes condescending pro-mirrorless bias.

But all the comments about the K3III ticked most of the positive boxes for me personally as a photographer. And the negatives were fair and balanced, to the extent that he wasn't following the 'it's not mirrorless' trope.

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +11 more
OP cyanhue Regular Member • Posts: 179

PentUp wrote:

Yeah, the reviewer shows a clear and sometimes condescending pro-mirrorless bias.

But all the comments about the K3III ticked most of the positive boxes for me personally as a photographer. And the negatives were fair and balanced, to the extent that he wasn't following the 'it's not mirrorless' trope.

I got a similar impression.

cyanhue's gear list:cyanhue's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +3 more
Valeriu 64
Valeriu 64 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938

What did Pentax gain if it didn't put tilting screen and astrotracer in Pentax K3III? This caused many Pentax customers to give up buying the K3III. Many Pentax customers are not so much interested in birds in flight, but astrotracer and tilting screen do. In this fierce competition between camera manufacturers, you have to offer so that your customers do not go to other brands, it is a reality not a philosophy. That's why many Pentaxians went to Fuji, Olympus, Sony, Nikon. You can't wait 2-3 years to have a camera with a tilting screen, when most cameras usually have this for years. If Pentax did not put astrotracer in K3III, it had to put in pack an O-GPS1.

Valeriu 64's gear list:Valeriu 64's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax K-3 Mark III Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +8 more

Valeriu 64 wrote:

What did Pentax gain if it didn't put tilting screen and astrotracer in Pentax K3III? This caused many Pentax customers to give up buying the K3III. Many Pentax customers are not so much interested in birds in flight, but astrotracer and tilting screen do. In this fierce competition between camera manufacturers, you have to offer so that your customers do not go to other brands, it is a reality not a philosophy. That's why many Pentaxians went to Fuji, Olympus, Sony, Nikon. You can't wait 2-3 years to have a camera with a tilting screen, when most cameras usually have this for years. If Pentax did not put astrotracer in K3III, it had to put in pack an O-GPS1.

Meh… I would have preferred a tilting / articulating screen on the K-3iii, but that was not a dealbreaker. None of my other Pentax DSLRs had one so I’ve lost nothing. And I don’t give a poop about in built GPS, so no loss to me either. I have no complaints about Pentax DSLR bodies. I just wish that they would cater to MY lens needs specifically

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +11 more
anware Regular Member • Posts: 148

I don't believe for a second that "many" Pentaxians went to Fuji, Sony, Nikon and Canon to get the astrotracer function that isn't missing from the K-3 iii.

Lessiter Regular Member • Posts: 271

Valeriu 64 wrote:

Your post is full of guessing expressed as fact. You are using "many" many times but I suspect you don't really know how many?

Astrotracer is a niche feature and tilt screen is a "nice to have" feature. Both available in the K-1 at a similar price. Imho Pentax is doing the right thing moving further and further away from the mainstream camera business. By not having a moving screen Pentax signals more clearly that it's playing a different game. These hard choices and focused models are the future. Pentax should make dslrs with the same tough minded user and design focus as they used in the GR's. Gear heads and feature shoppers should look elsewhere from the start.

You'll find lots of people thinking adding zoom would improve the GR. Those people completely fail to understand the model and should be ignored. The same goes for people asking for features in the K-3III. If anything they should have made tougher choices removing more cruft.

JeremieB Senior Member • Posts: 1,109

Valeriu 64 wrote:

What did Pentax gain if it didn't put tilting screen and astrotracer in Pentax K3III? This caused many Pentax customers to give up buying the K3III. Many Pentax customers are not so much interested in birds in flight, but astrotracer and tilting screen do. In this fierce competition between camera manufacturers, you have to offer so that your customers do not go to other brands, it is a reality not a philosophy. That's why many Pentaxians went to Fuji, Olympus, Sony, Nikon. You can't wait 2-3 years to have a camera with a tilting screen, when most cameras usually have this for years. If Pentax did not put astrotracer in K3III, it had to put in pack an O-GPS

GPS is lacking, not astrotracer.

I still think the main issue is that every Pentax user wants to want this camera, because it's a new release after quite some time. Truth is that it's probably not targeting everyone though.

If your main interests are astro or landscapes on tripod, you may probably be better served by a K3II or a K1II. But still, if you want to do astro or landscape on tripod with K3III, you can - it's just not as comfortable.  Reversely, how many action oriented cameras do have an astrotracer feature ? Probably none. As often, ultimately I think their decisions make sense, and at least they suit me.

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +8 more
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,851

Currently I do not have the camera, but God willing, I will buy it maybe next year. But I have observations on it through the reactions of some buyers, including that the camera is far from the philosophy of Pentax, which depends on simplicity and uncomplicatedness. Also, the camera was released in a hurry and the evidence is many problems The technology that appears from time to time. This is of course in addition to the exaggerated pricing and the lack of a fast Standard lens suitable for the new Focus system. In any case, it remains the only option now for us who own a lot of Pentax lenses.

I hope that Pentax will rectify the problems that have arisen so that they do not affect the trends of the second and third row of potential buyers.

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D780 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +8 more
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 2,134

zakaria wrote:

Currently I do not have the camera, but God willing, I will buy it maybe next year. But I have observations on it through the reactions of some buyers, including that the camera is far from the philosophy of Pentax, which depends on simplicity and uncomplicatedness. Also, the camera was released in a hurry and the evidence is many problems The technology that appears from time to time. This is of course in addition to the exaggerated pricing and the lack of a fast Standard lens suitable for the new Focus system. In any case, it remains the only option now for us who own a lot of Pentax lenses.

I hope that Pentax will rectify the problems that have arisen so that they do not affect the trends of the second and third row of potential buyers.

Yes, I am glad I chose not to early adopt, even though I almost hit “buy” 20 times that first week.  In the end, my KP does fine for my remaining Pentax glass, and my new Canon R6 does everything I need from AF and more.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Pentax KP Canon EOS R6 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +2 more
flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,205

cyanhue wrote:

not the best source of camera reviews, but still more reviews is good.
not much new here, the review seems reasonably fair, but not very positive except for existing Pentax users.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/pentax-k-3-mark-iii

Well, everything what Pentax makes is meant only for the existing Pentax users. They are aware of it and behave accordingly .

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

The Squirrel Mafia
The Squirrel Mafia Contributing Member • Posts: 790

Seems like a contradictory & superficial review. First they say that AF is not perfectly accurate, but then they say that it can track accurately. So what is it?

The Squirrel Mafia's gear list:The Squirrel Mafia's gear list
Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +2 more
zakaria

Mike Arledge wrote:

zakaria wrote:

Yes, I am glad I chose not to early adopt, even though I almost hit “buy” 20 times that first week. In the end, my KP does fine for my remaining Pentax glass, and my new Canon R6 does everything I need from AF and more.

I preferred z7 which got it at bargain price.

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D780 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +8 more
RBIV Regular Member • Posts: 496

zakaria wrote:

... the camera was released in a hurry ...

It was ???   

RBIV's gear list:RBIV's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +2 more
zakaria

RBIV wrote:

zakaria wrote:

It was ???

😆

It took a lot of time in the hands of the  ambassadors who did not discover a single defect!!!!, while it  took a little time to review the quality of the production.

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,866

zakaria wrote:

RBIV wrote:

zakaria wrote:

It was ???

😆

It took a lot of time in the hands of the ambassadors who did not discover a single defect!!!!, while it took a little time to review the quality of the production.

"Ambassadors"  wouldn't be ambassadors for long if they even hinted at anything negative on the products they get discounted or free.

The odd one might say something to their supplier, but not likely anything publicly.

I never buy anything based on the recommendations of paid shills. 

Adam007 Contributing Member • Posts: 686

His complaint about the "shaky" viewfinder is weird.  I mean, that's literally your own hand shaking, Dude.  I'm sorry if years of shooting of the LCD screen with your favorite mirrorless camera has dulled your technique.

If you want to see some crazy shake, try inputting the wrong FL into a ML body.  That's your palsied hand on steroids. Ask me how I know!

Adam007's gear list:Adam007's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
doceyes Forum Member • Posts: 91

Adam007 wrote:

His complaint about the "shaky" viewfinder is weird. I mean, that's literally your own hand shaking, Dude. I'm sorry if years of shooting of the LCD screen with your favorite mirrorless camera has dulled your technique.

If you want to see some crazy shake, try inputting the wrong FL into a ML body. That's your palsied hand on steroids. Ask me how I know!

Has anyone read, seen a YouTube, or used the camera and experienced the “shaky” viewfinder problem, or the dark viewfinder when indoors? I have a k1 and never experienced either and the reviews including from owners of the new k3iii is that the viewfinder and display are excellent. But maybe going from an EVF to an optical display threw off the reviewer?

The review lost my attention when at the beginning it states. “It's an APS-C sensor camera, not a full-frame like the Pentax K-1 Mark II.” 
I wonder if reviews for Canon, Nikon, and Sony start off that way?

doceyes's gear list:doceyes's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Pentax 645D Samsung NX1 Pentax K-1
Bestwun2
Bestwun2 Forum Member • Posts: 89

When I use the 55-300mm and the 1.4 TC I have trouble holding the camera steady. The image in the viewfinder is unsteady. My Canon camera with image stabilized lenses are steady as a rock.  I took this photo using a tripod because I could not hold the camera still. I am 71 yrs old.

Bestwun2 wrote:

When I use the 55-300mm and the 1.4 TC I have trouble holding the camera steady. The image in the viewfinder is unsteady. My Canon camera with image stabilized lenses are steady as a rock. I took this photo using a tripod because I could not hold the camera still. I am 71 yrs old.

Great photo.

You may have struggled, but your camera and lens didn't. That's part of the process of human aging I guess.

The review in question however, is reviewing a camera, not the steady hands of the venerable

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads