"Picture style"

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Redhenry Regular Member • Posts: 431
"Picture style"

One of the options on my Sony RX100ii, and on many other cameras, is the facility to change the look of a picture with a pre-set "style". Olympus has its "Art Filters", for example. I tend to shy away from most of these as I usually like a photograph to look like a photograph but occasionally, I like the "HDR paint" setting. This, as most people will know already, makes an HDR image from three exposures and adds a little 'painterly' texture. I was passing some green rowing boats near my home some time ago and thought they might suit this treatment. I like the result, but I can't really take much credit for it, can I? The picture would not have been as nice without the colour and texture. I still like to do this occasionally. Does anybody have any further recommendations for these or are they generally considered as toys?

Redhenry's gear list:Redhenry's gear list
Sony RX100 II
victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,804
Re: "Picture style"

It's your photo, so take all the credit you want

Nice shot btw

OP Redhenry Regular Member • Posts: 431

Thanks! I just have this odd feeling that really, I've just improved a pleasant but unremarkable scene by applying this modification. I suppose there was the decision that the scene would benefit from the HDR paint treatment, so there must have been some creative input somewhere!

Sony RX100 II
victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,804

Redhenry wrote:

Thanks! I just have this odd feeling that really, I've just improved a pleasant but unremarkable scene by applying this modification. I suppose there was the decision that the scene would benefit from the HDR paint treatment, so there must have been some creative input somewhere!

That's part of photography making something uninteresting, into something interesting.

KCK14 Senior Member • Posts: 1,123

I think that one worked.  Especially with the green boats being on the same color grass.

I will occasionally use one of the Olympus Art Filters and sometimes it works and I get a pleasing result.

KCK14's gear list:KCK14's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,869

You can take credit. You saw the possibilities and acted on them. The filter is just part of your toolkit.

I know a retired photographer who makes some extra income doing something along these lines. He uses a Nikon compact camera  and can apply filters after the shot. He has prints made, puts them in mats, then sells at art and craft shows. He's getting rich, but his photos seem pretty popular. At $20 a pop he can make a few hundred in an afternoon doing something he enjoys. And the shows sometimes lead to sales of larger prints where he can make some decent money.

BTW, the guy is a "real" photographer. He was a working pro back in the film days and has some pretty impressive photojournalism in his files

Gato

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 20,862

Redhenry wrote:

The picture would not have been as nice without the colour and texture. I still like to do this occasionally. Does anybody have any further recommendations for these or are they generally considered as toys?

Not a fan of such approaches personally, but that's okay. Whatever floats your boats ...

Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,939

I may have tried a camera's "picture style" once or twice but, generally, I have found them to be excessive.  I post-process almost all my images for cropping, sharpening, etc. and I will occasionally use some of the filters I have available in the software to bring out qualities I thought were missing in the original or to introduce a 'special effect'.

I get more satisfaction from trying to create my own picture styles.

-- hide signature --

DS

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,795

I use those preset as my default setting for my SOOC JPG shooting. However I consider it one of the preset tweaking on JPG only, which has saved me a lot of work to customize one.

I was used to shoot in Standard style while moving from RAW to JPG shooting (improved JPG engine of newer cameras). I heard a flatter output might benefit PP. However over the years I found found saturation, sharpness and contrast were the most usual routine I had to deal with. I then realized Vivid Picture Style provides me all of them. It suits most of my application (except portrait). This style makes SOOC JPG looking far better (more vibrant, less flat, more pop than other styles that is more pleasing to my eyes) than the default Standard or Natural style. If I can get the setting right on shooting, this can reduce a lot of my usual PP work. It helps me to come a step closer to reduce reliance on PP.

Only draw back, would produce more harsh skin tone leaving smaller room for touch up in PP.

I do a lot of HDR, shall do in-camera HDR sometimes. But mostly do it from Auto Exposure Bracketing shots on computer. I could have more DR to work with than the standard max +3ev, and I could use a more powerful software/hardware for better result than the in-camera canned feature.

My cameras have a wide range of Scenery Mode and Filter effect, similar to the art filter of some brands. I rarely used them...

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,655

"Picture Styles" and "Filters" are not exactly the same thing.  Picture Styles are much more subtle.  I often use custom Picture Styles I have cooked up for my camera, but never the Filters.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85

Thanks for the replies. I'm encouraged that several people like the picture and that adding this style/filter is part of the creative process. I can also empathise with those who think these picture styles are a bit over the top, as I have generally avoided them in the past. So, I think I'll keep to the rule of using them sparingly and only where they will add interest.

RH

Sony RX100 II
Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,516

Yes I use then quite often and actually bought an Olympus just just to use some of the art filters . 
 I like the ones on my rx10 as well ( and my a5000/6000) come to that . 
 From high contrast b&w to water colour etc. 
 I’ve sold many images simply because they appealed to someone because of the filter effects.

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +8 more
Halina123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,542

These art filters can change an average image, like this one to one with a dramatic effect.

The key is experiment.

ggbutcher
ggbutcher Senior Member • Posts: 1,063

As long as you don't represent such an image as somrthing it isn't, I think you're good to go.  And, if you can parse the double-negative of the previous sentence, you probably have the smarts to make your own decision without the input of us goofballs..

ggbutcher's gear list:ggbutcher's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
arbeterfroyen Contributing Member • Posts: 568

Did you take the same photo/can access the other exposures and compare this to an 'un-styled' version? I'd be interested to see the difference.

I've been looking at the Olympus art filters today and they look great. Your pictures are lovely - I especially like the Whitby photo.

Sony RX100 II

ggbutcher wrote:

As long as you don't represent such an image as somrthing it isn't, I think you're good to go. And, if you can parse the double-negative of the previous sentence, you probably have the smarts to make your own decision without the input of us goofballs..

I did a languages degree, so can parse with the best of them!

RH

Sony RX100 II

arbeterfroyen wrote:

Did you take the same photo/can access the other exposures and compare this to an 'un-styled' version? I'd be interested to see the difference.

Sorry, no I didn't. The light was quite good but the boats were in shadow so I thought I'd do an HDR to bring them 'forward' a bit, then added the smallest available amount of  'paint' effect. The scene itself was pleasant but required a little extra.

Sony RX100 II
Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,516

Redhenry wrote:

I've been looking at the Olympus art filters today and they look great. Your pictures are lovely - I especially like the Whitby photo.

Thank you , they are great fun . 
 I use the grainy black and white one for bands ,

dramatic tone in bad weather just to name a few ..

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +8 more
Halina123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,542

Labe wrote:

Redhenry wrote:

Thank you , they are great fun .
I use the grainy black and white one for bands ,

dramatic tone in bad weather just to name a few ..

Beverly Abbey.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads