Does anyone else do this.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 6,258
Re: Screen for me.

tbcass wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

A lot of the camera talk revolves about I always did it this way (and am not about to change).

That I have never seen. I would, however, describe you as being stubborn about LCD screens as you said previously.

"Same here, rear screen all the way. If a camera has an EVF I simply ignore it."

What I have seen is people saying they started out using eye-level viewfinders, own cameras with LCDs, and because of their experience know that eye-level viewfinders have a lot of advantages that the LCD only people don't appreciate. It's the LCD only people who seem to be the stubborn ones because most eye-level users use both.

I think there are two things at play. One is habit and humans are creatures of habit.

The other is doubling down against a perceived challenge. Using the LCD is often denigrated here and put into the "real photographers don't do that" category and it is the newer thing. So, I think some of the defensiveness is from that.

jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 6,221

Guy Parsons wrote:

. . . People largely in those places seem to be less worried or bothered by me using the screen compared to seeing what happens when someones else is using the EVF. Hiding their face from the casual subjects seems to disconnect them somehow. People may be more wary as they may think it's a professional shot instead of some bumbling tourist shot.

Those are good points in favor of rear LCD use.  I know that my brother now uses his telephone exclusively to take pictures with, and a major factor for him was the casual acceptance of those around him to snapping shots with a cell phone as opposed to a bulky and somewhat aggressively styled camera.

. . . As for screen visibility, it is bad with fixed screens, way better with tilt screens or fold out sideways screens. Sadly the fold out sideways to get the needed tilt makes for a wider, more awkward camera and I won't buy that type.

That the tilt feature is way better than a fixed screen for visibility is good information.  At present, the only camera I own without a fixed screen is one of those awkward "fully articulating" screens, which I've always kept in reversed position against the camera body. For framing a picture outdoors, which is about 95% of the pictures I take, the fixed screen cameras I own are next to worthless.

peterpainter Contributing Member • Posts: 733

Guy Parsons wrote:

DankCO wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

DankCO wrote:

Can't understand how this thread took a turn as a right or wrong way.

It's just the way of all forums.

My original statement was " It feels wrong if I don't use EVF. It feels meaning to me personally.

Ditto, it's all about one's own usage and comfort.

I could careless which one you use, as long as you are happy with results.

Absolutely true, no argument there at all.

As a possible 10% minority of screen users of system cameras I presented why I use the screen and definitely feel uncomfortable and isolated from the surroundings if using the EVF. But that's just me. Others disagree of course.

By airing our views here, some EVF users may try screens and some screen users may try the EVF to find what they can learn to like.

I'll definitely try my LCD more.

I do the vast bulk of my shots while on holidays to some overseas place (remember those?). So it's mainly scenes that I see, be it landscapes or more likely streetscapes.

People largely in those places seem to be less worried or bothered by me using the screen compared to seeing what happens when someones else is using the EVF. Hiding their face from the casual subjects seems to disconnect them somehow. People may be more wary as they may think it's a professional shot instead of some bumbling tourist shot. If someone is featured or prominent in the scene I will show them the result (if practical to do so) so they can nod approval or dislike.

Funnily enough, when taking close-ups of butterflies and the like using the screen at a reasonable distance from one's head seems to frighten them off less than getting in close with the viewfinder.

In many scenes I may wait and wait until people or cars or trains or whatever are in the right place in the frame, using the screen allows me to see what is coming (or what I just missed) and make the moment of taking the shot a more useful experience.

For me it's just a sense of freedom, getting away from having a camera planted to my face and thus being able to see everything around me.

As for screen visibility, it is bad with fixed screens, way better with tilt screens or fold out sideways screens. Sadly the fold out sideways to get the needed tilt makes for a wider, more awkward camera and I won't buy that type.

-- hide signature --

regards,
Pete

peterpainter's gear list:peterpainter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +4 more
Tongdee Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Does anyone else do this.

DankCO wrote:

I cannot take photos using the LCD. It just doesn't work for me. Putting my eye to the VF is like shutting the world out, and I can concentrate better on the photo. Not to mention that I can hardly see the LCD in daylight + I'm farsighted. I just feel if my eye is not on the VF, I'm doing it wrong. Don't know if that makes sense.

I'm new to photography and this is my first post here. It touches on an issue (maybe non issue) I have. Even though my right eye is the strong eye I am most comfortable using the EVF with my left eye. I find it much easier than using the screen. However it becomes very awkward to use back button focus as my cheek/nose are in the way.

Redhenry Regular Member • Posts: 490
Re: Does anyone else do this.

Tongdee wrote:

DankCO wrote:

I cannot take photos using the LCD. It just doesn't work for me. Putting my eye to the VF is like shutting the world out, and I can concentrate better on the photo. Not to mention that I can hardly see the LCD in daylight + I'm farsighted. I just feel if my eye is not on the VF, I'm doing it wrong. Don't know if that makes sense.

I'm new to photography and this is my first post here. It touches on an issue (maybe non issue) I have. Even though my right eye is the strong eye I am most comfortable using the EVF with my left eye. I find it much easier than using the screen. However it becomes very awkward to use back button focus as my cheek/nose are in the way.

I think that many people have a reason for preferring EVF or screen which is to do with personal comfort. I have always preferred a screen but have more reason to do so these days. If I lift a camera to my eye, my left hand shakes, but if I use a camera with a hinged screen and hold it at waist level, it's much steadier. This is why I will be moving over to a M4/3 camera with a tilting screen and IBIS.  I can't understand why this matter has caused such controversy for some people.

Redhenry's gear list:Redhenry's gear list
Sony RX100 II
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,643
Me

RedFox88 wrote:

DankCO wrote:

I cannot take photos using the LCD. It just doesn't work for me. Putting my eye to the VF is like shutting the world out, and I can concentrate better on the photo.

Who doesn’t do that?!

Me. Does it matter?

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads