X1N reliability close to speedlight

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
sharkyofcuths Regular Member • Posts: 143
X1N reliability close to speedlight

I'm thinking of buying an V860N deal that includes a softbox, stand and Bowens mount. However, it comes with a X1N, rather than a X2N.

I'm not thinking about doing an elaborate setup, so I'm tempted to go with the deal, but one or two reviews state that the X1N can be unreliable, especially when used close to the speedlight - has anyone found this?

if so, is the X2N more reliable?

tugwilson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,373
Re: X1N reliability close to speedlight

sharkyofcuths wrote:

I'm thinking of buying an V860N deal that includes a softbox, stand and Bowens mount. However, it comes with a X1N, rather than a X2N.

I'm not thinking about doing an elaborate setup, so I'm tempted to go with the deal, but one or two reviews state that the X1N can be unreliable, especially when used close to the speedlight - has anyone found this?

The X2 and XPro have a near mode which allows the triggers to work reliably within a metre or so of the light. The X1 lacks this and may misfire when very close to the light.

kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,974
Re: X1N reliability close to speedlight

sharkyofcuths wrote:

Not really. Most of the X2T improvements are in UI and feature set. Reliability wasn't typically a problem with the X1T. Godox eventually fixed the closed proximity issue with a firmware update on the X1T, and eventually built it into the later triggers as a C.Fn (DIST). But you can use the same feature on the X1T, it's just slightly more of a hassle. It was documented on the Godox Q&A, and latter added as an update to the user's manualat the end of the C.Fn table, but for a long time folks didn't know the feature existed, and it's still something of a messageboard folklore thing.

On the X1T-N, to put the transmitter into"close mode" (i.e., C.Fn DIST=0-30m), the loaded firmware must be v16 or later (you can see the currently loaded version by holding down the MODE button while turning it on. If the firmware is up-to-date, you can activate "close mode" by holding down the TEST button while turning it on, until the Status light blinks for two seconds. This must be redone every time the unit is turned on, iirc. On the XPro, X2T, and R2 Pro II, however, the C.Fn DIST setting holds between power cycles.

The X1T, however, is the oldest of the Godox 2.4 GHz TTL transmitters, and it arguably has the worst UI of all the transmitters (bumping it with your forehead, delays from moving the control wheel, numbered custom functions instead of named ones, only able to see three of the five possible groups, etc.) You can, however, put it into single-pin mode, which none of the other transmitters can do.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads