My best way of processing RAW P1000 files

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
JimH123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,186
My best way of processing RAW P1000 files

I'm going to show an example of how well this is working.  Using DxO with the RAW file (And this could be the new DxO PureRAW), I treat the noise and allow it to do lens correction, and then save a DNG file only saving the noise reduction and lens correction.  I find that I can use the higher ISO levels on the P1000 and it can correct it.

I then take the .DNG file and directly load it into Topaz Sharpen AI or Topaz Gigapixel AI for further processing, whichever I am interested in using.

I find that this is working much better than loading into Lightroom and calling the Topaz AI programs from Lightroom.

If I don't plan on doing much further processing of the file, I will save it in JPEG, but if I do plan on further adjustments, I will save in TIFF.  Reason being is that the TIFF files are so huge.  And the JPEGs are so much smaller.

First image a bunch of small flowers taken at a short distance at 2000mm.  These flowers are less than 1/4" in diameter, so they are small.  This is the original unprocessed RAW converted to JPEG with no processing.

The 2nd image is after the conversion by DxO into a DNG file.  I converted it to JPEG to show the result.

Third image, I tried to finish the processing in Photoshop and sharpen it with a High Pass Filter.  Results aren't as good as I expected.

Next, I went back to the RAW file and tried using Enhance - Super Resolution in Photoshop.  There was still a lot of noise so I then used Topaz Denoise AI followed with a High Pass Filter.  Again, the result is not what I was looking for.

Finally, back to the DxO DNG file and I used Gigapixel AI at 2x increase in size.  This time the results were what I was looking for.  Gigapixel AI far exceeded Photoshop's Super resolution.

Zoom in all the way and compare the center flower in the center bunch and notice the change in detail.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II +3 more
Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sherman_levine
MOD sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 13,306
Re: My best way of processing RAW P1000 files

Why not do additional processing (cropping, microcontrast/brightness, etc)  in DXO (with deep prime NR) and save as TIFF, then continue processing in Topaz Sharpen

-- hide signature --
 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P950
OP JimH123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,186
Re: My best way of processing RAW P1000 files

sherman_levine wrote:

Why not do additional processing (cropping, microcontrast/brightness, etc) in DXO (with deep prime NR) and save as TIFF, then continue processing in Topaz Sharpen

I am finding that the AI software works best with the DNG file containing only noise removal and lens correction compared to the TIFF file containing additional changes.

Both DxO and the AI software want access to the RAW file.  And the DNG is close to being a RAW file.

In going back and redoing some that I used the TIFF file followed by doing AI, the using the DNG file followed by AI produced a better result.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads