Great for still objects in good light, but bad in poor light and for fast action.

Started 3 months ago | User reviews
Ikl land
Ikl land Regular Member • Posts: 132
Great for still objects in good light, but bad in poor light and for fast action.

I picked up this as my very priest camera back in March. I have been very pleased with it so far. The zoom range is incredible, reaching up over 3,000mm! However, as expected, past 1500, it get quite bad quality. The high ISO levels create a TON of noise. The autofocus is a bit slow, but that’s expected with a point and shoot, though. If you have decent to great light and a subject not SO far away from you, and it’s not a bird in flight, you can come away with some fantastic images for a pint and shoot. I am a birder and bird photographer, so you can know what I’m using this for. I unfortunately can’t compare to anything as this is my only camera, but later this year I will upgrade. The controls are relatively easy to use. The viewfinder is a little small.....

All in all I think it’s a great starter point and shoot. 
here are some of my samples.

Ikl land's gear list:Ikl land's gear list
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ80 (Lumix DC-FZ82)
18 megapixels • 3 screen • 20 – 1200 mm (60×)
Announced: Jan 4, 2017
Ikl land's score
Average community score
AshleyMC Senior Member • Posts: 1,395
Re: Great for still objects in good light, but bad in poor light and for fast action.

Thanks for sharing some very nice bird photos.

Your brief review, based on actual experience in the field, realistically mentions the relevant points about the FZ80.

Lacking sophisticated AF support, the FZ80 is good for “reaching” stationary objects at far distances — in your case, they are birds perching. (Same can be said about the FZ300.)

The zoom range is incredible, reaching up over 3,000mm! However, as expected, past 1500, it get quite bad quality.

I would stick to the native optical range of 20-1200mm equivalent. Anything “longer” than the native optical maximum is simulated by the firmware cropping and upscaling the image which, as you noted, is “quite bad.”

Well, desperate times call for desperate measures. Just be mindful of the simulated range.

The high ISO levels create a TON of noise.

You tell me!

I would not go beyond ISO 800. (On my FZ300, I stay at ISO 100 most of the time.)

Ikl land
OP Ikl land Regular Member • Posts: 132
Re: Great for still objects in good light, but bad in poor light and for fast action.

Ikl land wrote:

I picked up this as my very priest camera back in March. I have been very pleased with it so far. The zoom range is incredible, reaching up over 3,000mm! However, as expected, past 1500, it get quite bad quality. The high ISO levels create a TON of noise. The autofocus is a bit slow, but that’s expected with a point and shoot, though. If you have decent to great light and a subject not SO far away from you, and it’s not a bird in flight, you can come away with some fantastic images for a pint and shoot. I am a birder and bird photographer, so you can know what I’m using this for. I unfortunately can’t compare to anything as this is my only camera, but later this year I will upgrade. The controls are relatively easy to use. The viewfinder is a little small.....

All in all I think it’s a great starter point and shoot.
here are some of my samples.

forgot to mention that the image stabilizer is FANTASTIC.

Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Ikl land

AshleyMC wrote:

Thanks for sharing some very nice bird photos.

Thanks- You can view more of my photos at : https://ebird.org/media/catalog?mediaType=p&sort=rating_rank_desc&userId=USER1824290( if you’re interested.

Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,443

All nice captures. Too bad you did not include the EXIF Data for the images.

All the FZ80 cons you noted applicable to all the 1/2.3" superzooms with small max apertures.

IMO to bad Pany did not improve the FZ70's 16MP sensor rather than further increasing pixel density/ reducing pixel size = more image noise;  Nikon was smart staying with 16MP.

If you have not already done, take look at Graham Houghton's FZ80 YouTube Videos HERE.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic FZ1000 +15 more
717 Contributing Member • Posts: 571

FYI, the best full frame DSLR with no ISO noise at ISO 100,000 and an F2 2500mm lens STILL has limits, once you are looking through a lot of air the image will still end up distorted.

Kirk6 Regular Member • Posts: 375

Ikl land wrote

Let me ask you if the optical stabilizer is for movies only or for pictures as well?

I can't understand the following written in the specs sheet of the manufacturer for the power stabilizer O.I.S. of the camera

"POWER O.I.S. (ON in Active Mode (only for video) / OFF)"

Ikl land

The stabilizer works great in videos. I, not sure if it works in pictures, however I’ve never had an issue with too much shake, so it probably does. Especially since I’m handholding.

Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,443

Kirk6 wrote:

Ikl land wrote

Let me ask you if the optical stabilizer is for movies only or for pictures as well?

I can't understand the following written in the specs sheet of the manufacturer for the power stabilizer O.I.S. of the camera

"POWER O.I.S. (ON in Active Mode (only for video) / OFF)"

Stills and movies as noted in the PDF Owner’s Manual for advanced features as noted on pages 134 & 135 .

If you have not done already download the PDF Owner’s Manual for advanced features as noted in the small printed Basic Manual supplied with camera.

P. 134

P. 135

The Basic Manual is ONLY the basics—you need the PDF Owner’s Manual for advanced features to learn/ understand all the FZ80/ FZ82 settings and features.

The Panasonic Manuals are not the easiest to follow/ understand, especially if one has not thoroughly read the "How to use this manual" and "Before Use" sections to understand how the various icons, notations, and nomenclature for camera's controls are used in the manual.

If there's a item in the manual you do not understand just post a question to the item and page number.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic FZ1000 +15 more
Ikl land

Here’s some more images

Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads