Help with ART (RawTherapee fork) local adjustments

Started 3 months ago | Questions
jbancroft1957 Contributing Member • Posts: 916
Help with ART (RawTherapee fork) local adjustments

Hi

I'm looking for help on how to use the local adjustment 'brush mask' in ART.

I cannot seem to apply it to my image. Every time I attempt to apply the brush I end up simply moving the whole image (the 'hand' cursor). How on earth do I get it into brush mode?

I've looked for a tutorial on the web but cannot find anything useful :-(.

If there's anyone out there who has had a dabble with ART and can give me some guidance, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

John

ANSWER:
grsnovi
grsnovi Senior Member • Posts: 1,511
Re: Help with ART (RawTherapee fork) local adjustments

Hi John - you might get more answers to your question here . It is a site that is tailored to open source photography s/w.

grsnovi's gear list:grsnovi's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Sony SLT-A65 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) +14 more
pippo27 Contributing Member • Posts: 508

Hi,

I'm not at the computer right now so I can show screenshots, but I'll try to describe the procedure...

You click on the paintbrush 🖌️ iconon the right edge of the brush mask, and you also need to turn on the brush mask itself (click on the little power button on the top left). Then you apply the brush by moving the mouse over the image with the left button pressed: if everything is ok, you will see some orange overlay that shows the brush strokes. Then, when you release the mouse button, the orange strokes go away and the mask gets applied.

HTH

OP jbancroft1957 Contributing Member • Posts: 916

pippo27 wrote:

Hi,

I'm not at the computer right now so I can show screenshots, but I'll try to describe the procedure...

You click on the paintbrush 🖌️ iconon the right edge of the brush mask, and you also need to turn on the brush mask itself (click on the little power button on the top left). Then you apply the brush by moving the mouse over the image with the left button pressed: if everything is ok, you will see some orange overlay that shows the brush strokes. Then, when you release the mouse button, the orange strokes go away and the mask gets applied.

HTH

Thank you so much for your post. I'm getting a little nearer now :-).

I can now apply the brush but when I release the mouse button and the orange strokes go away, the image is unchanged!

I'm trying to lift the shadows slightly around the nose.

It's clear I'm doing something wrong but if you could offer any further guidance I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

John

pippo27 Contributing Member • Posts: 508

Hi,

You are using hardness 0, which is essentially transparent... Try with hardness maxed out, which is the default. Also, to lift shadows you should decrease the power slider (I know it might sound backwards, sorry) and/or increase the slope slider. Then play with the feathering, smoothness and opacity sliders of the mask to ensure a smooth transition.

HTH

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP jbancroft1957 Contributing Member • Posts: 916

pippo27 wrote:

Hi,

You are using hardness 0, which is essentially transparent... Try with hardness maxed out, which is the default. Also, to lift shadows you should decrease the power slider (I know it might sound backwards, sorry) and/or increase the slope slider. Then play with the feathering, smoothness and opacity sliders of the mask to ensure a smooth transition.

HTH

Thanks, I finally got there after understanding the significance of each mask 'layer' and switching between them (turning off/on each as necessary), to see the effect the local adjustment made.

I'm so grateful for your help. I think ART has for me, potential as a possible alternative to Lightroom 6.14, as I'm reluctant to get drawn into subscription software.

Thanks again.

John

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads