Babelcolour - new life to old autochromes

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
allineedislight Contributing Member • Posts: 937
Babelcolour - new life to old autochromes
4

If you are on Twitter I highly recommend to follow BabelColour.

He is regularly posting old autochromes (refreshed by digital means, but not colourised!).

They do look fantastic.

Have a look here - such fantastic colours and skin tones, just amazing for a picture from the 1940s:

https://twitter.com/StuartHumphryes/status/1404202547057995780?s=09

 allineedislight's gear list:allineedislight's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill +1 more
OP allineedislight Contributing Member • Posts: 937
Re: Babelcolour - new life to old autochromes
1
 allineedislight's gear list:allineedislight's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill +1 more
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 20,076
Re: Babelcolour - new life to old autochromes

allineedislight wrote:

If you are on Twitter I highly recommend to follow BabelColour.

He is regularly posting old autochromes (refreshed by digital means, but not colourised!).

They do look fantastic.

Have a look here - such fantastic colours and skin tones, just amazing for a picture from the 1940s:

https://twitter.com/StuartHumphryes/status/1404202547057995780?s=09

Excellent work!

By coincidence, we can learn all about the Color Checker card from BabelColor here:

https://www.babelcolor.com/colorchecker.htm

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone has to do it ...

 xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
Karl Huber Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: Babelcolour - new life to old autochromes

allineedislight wrote:

some more:

https://ko-fi.com/babelcolour/gallery

This is fantastic stuff. My night will be busy now.

 Karl Huber's gear list:Karl Huber's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df +24 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,309
Re: Babelcolour - new life to old autochromes

allineedislight wrote:

some more:

https://ko-fi.com/babelcolour/gallery

I'm surprised he has so few followers.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
OP allineedislight Contributing Member • Posts: 937
Re: Babelcolour - new life to old autochromes

Scottelly wrote:

allineedislight wrote:

some more:

https://ko-fi.com/babelcolour/gallery

I'm surprised he has so few followers.

He has 155000 followers on Twitter 😁

 allineedislight's gear list:allineedislight's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill +1 more
OP allineedislight Contributing Member • Posts: 937
Re: Babelcolour - new life to old autochromes

PS: I posted this link because these autochromes from a very early phase of colour photography remind me so much in their clarity to the pictures taken even earlier with a different technique by Produkin Gorskii:

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/

I believe this pioneering Russian photographer has been mentioned quite a few times in this Foveon forum!

 allineedislight's gear list:allineedislight's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill +1 more
Fotoni Senior Member • Posts: 1,066
Laziness distorts the past

Pretty much everyone shot black and white even though there were color options. Probably because it was easier and more available. Then there are those rare persons who wanted the best and it shows even today. I did not include prices because all cameras were very expensive in that time. Hard to believe they wanted to save some bucks by going black and white.

The strange thing is that the modern cameras are better than ever, but majority of photos are shot with a phone and even worse are those automated image "enhancing" features which produce just muddiness and artificial details. It is like someone used bad textures with their computer graphics. They drift further from the traditional photography, I would call it hybrid photography or something. The amount of processing is so noticeable.

Old photography is very pleasing when in color. They show the world instead fantasy.

 Fotoni's gear list:Fotoni's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 29,563
Re: Laziness distorts the past

Fotoni wrote:

Pretty much everyone shot black and white even though there were color options. Probably because it was easier and more available. Then there are those rare persons who wanted the best and it shows even today. I did not include prices because all cameras were very expensive in that time. Hard to believe they wanted to save some bucks by going black and white.

The strange thing is that the modern cameras are better than ever, but majority of photos are shot with a phone and even worse are those automated image "enhancing" features which produce just muddiness and artificial details. It is like someone used bad textures with their computer graphics. They drift further from the traditional photography, I would call it hybrid photography or something. The amount of processing is so noticeable.

Old photography is very pleasing when in color. They show the world instead fantasy.

Photos from Box Brownies and similar consumer cameras were really not much good. These are what have been replaced by phones, which at least solve two big problems that consumers had: the lack of colour, and the inadequate depth of field.

Don Cox

 D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads