Auto shut off when filming OM-D E-MI II

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Tiger Purple New Member • Posts: 1
Auto shut off when filming OM-D E-MI II

I tried to film a YT video with my OM-D and the red light was on without interruption.  But when I downloaded the file, it saved as 3 files of 5 min 40 sec each and the last one was only 3 min.

What do I have to do to get it to film one file of 19 minutes xx seconds ? I checked the camera settings, but could not figure it out.  My Canon G 7 X does the same thing, but it records 23 minutes before visibly turning off, which is the reason why I chose to try my Olympus (and preferred camera!) this time.

What is up with this auto turn off??

Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,853
Re: Auto shut off when filming OM-D E-MI II

But when I downloaded the file, it saved as 3 files of 5 min 40 sec each and the last one was only 3 min.

My guess would be that you ran into the 2 GB (or possibly 4 GB?) filesize limit with the first three files.  The limit depends on how the memory card was formatted.

What do I have to do to get it to film one file of 19 minutes xx seconds ?

Does the manual say anything about card formatting and filesize limits? If you can't avoid the limit, the only alternative that I see would be to shoot in a lower resolution, at a lower frame rate or to use stronger compression (maybe by using a different video file type), if available.

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic GH5S Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +3 more
Barry Sp Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Auto shut off when filming OM-D E-MI II

Did you format the card in the camera as the instructions advise?  If so, and if that formatting caused you to bump up against a file size limit, then I don't think you can generate a single file in the camera.

However, if the cause of the multiple files is the file size limit, then they will be appended into a single file in post production.  Drag them, in order, into your video editing program timeline, edit them to eliminate bloopers and extraneous sections, add titles, add transitions, etc., and then output the result into a final single file made to YouTube specifications.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads