Images not writing to SD card

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Fragonard
Fragonard Regular Member • Posts: 256
Images not writing to SD card

Has anyone had images that show on the camera back, but do not write to the SD card.

This happened on my 6d twice, after the first occasion I changed the card and re-set the

camera.

Now today the same thing happened ,does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
canon5dsquared Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: Images not writing to SD card

Fragonard wrote:

Has anyone had images that show on the camera back, but do not write to the SD card.

This happened on my 6d twice, after the first occasion I changed the card and re-set the

camera.

So I know there’s a setting that will allow the camera to take a photo and show it on the LCD screen without a memory card in the camera.

But if you have a SD card in the slot then the camera should be writing the image files to the card.

First, do you always format the memory card in your camera before taking photos?

Second, is your memory card the correct type, class and speed for your 6D? Could the card be faulty or does it work for other applications?

And lastly, there are those little switches on the sides of SD cards, it’s possible the camera won’t write to the card if the card is locked and protected with the switch.

canon5dsquared's gear list:canon5dsquared's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +8 more
Fragonard
OP Fragonard Regular Member • Posts: 256

Thank you for those points, tried them without being able to replicate the problem.

Still there is an upside,I will have to buy a Canon 6R!

canon5dsquared Regular Member • Posts: 383

Fragonard wrote:

Thank you for those points, tried them without being able to replicate the problem.

Still there is an upside,I will have to buy a Canon 6R!

Yeah if it’s not your SD card then it’s the camera. Might be less expensive to just have the SD card slot replaced but if you needed an excuse to buy another camera well I guess you got one.

canon5dsquared's gear list:canon5dsquared's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +8 more
Stakeouttoo
Stakeouttoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,231

as one poster already noted.. might be the LOCK on the SD card.. it should be in the UP position or towards the metal Contacts.. the DOWN position will LOCK it and no pics will be recorded

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 6DMkII sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s 35mm back in 1967 in RVN

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM +10 more
GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,477

Fragonard wrote:

camera.

I don't have the 6 but files can get written to a different directory under some circumstances.

BTW I like to reformat the card IN CAMERA after I have verified downloads in an attempt to avoid card errors

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
Fragonard
OP Fragonard Regular Member • Posts: 256

Thank's for that, but, and a big one, if I could have a flight in a spaceship could I rely on my Canon!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads