Can't Replace System Battery - What to do?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
SantaFeBill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,136
Can't Replace System Battery - What to do?

The system battery is failing on my Dell T3500.

When I tried to replace it, I couldn't.

To replace the battery on a T3500, you have to press down on a tab that controls the ring (of plastic, I assume) that holds the battery in place, to release the battery so it can be removed.

No matter how hard I press down on the tab, nothing happens - it won't open, so the battery can't be removed and replaced. (Used both my thumb and the suggested small screwdriver.)

I'm concerned about what happens when the battery fails entirely. There's no agreement in the posts here or in the Dell Community as to whether the T3500 will boot with a dead battery - some say it will, some say it won't. ( I may have to wait and find out. )

Also, one person said that a dead battery might leak acid, harming the mobo. And then I'd most likely have a dead computer.

So my question: Is there any magical way to free up the holder so I can replace the battery? (If it were a stuck lock, I'd spray it with WD40. But on a computer mobo - no, not the best idea. )

I'm open to incantations, voodoo, and hiring a warlock.

P.S. I'm moving to a new system, but need to keep the T3500 working until its done so I can move things using PCMover.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,965
Re: Can't Replace System Battery - What to do?

In general if the battery is dead the motherboard will not retain some or all BIOS settings, particularly date functions, but will boot. The older the vintage of the motherboard the more likely that is but much depends on the condition of the mobo and its subcomponents.

Are you sure you can't get something under the battery to pop it out? Looking at pictures of that old beast it looks like you should be able to shimmy something between the battery and its case. You might need to remove the power connector.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 2,150
 Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
OP SantaFeBill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,136

bmoag wrote:

Are you sure you can't get something under the battery to pop it out? Looking at pictures of that old beast it looks like you should be able to shimmy something between the battery and its case. You might need to remove the power connector.

I'd thought of using the iFixit Jimmy. But it would be easy to damage the contacts. And given that the ring is closed and stuck, I think that prying it open would probably break it. Then there would be nothing to hold the battery in place - although I could see if Scotch tape would work.

Thanks for the suggestion. If the battery dies and then the computer won't boot, then anything that might work will be tried.

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,839

SantaFeBill wrote:

I'd thought of using the iFixit Jimmy. But it would be easy to damage the contacts. And given that the ring is closed and stuck, I think that prying it open would probably break it.

Are you able to post a photo of the battery and it's fixture?

sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,961

Looks pretty standard.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads