Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

Started 4 months ago | User reviews
kml426 New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

Hi, Everyone,

I'm amazed at the knowledge and talent of everyone here. I also appreciate you sharing them.

I'm ready to move from APS-C world to FF. I currently have a Pentax K3 and various lenses. I've decided to move to Sony A7, though I'm not sure which body, yet. I'm anxiously waiting for the announcement of the A7IV before deciding. In the meantime, I just purchased the Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS, and am seriously considering the lens discussed here, the Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS.

I'm an amateur photographer and mostly like to take outdoor photos - landscape, scenery, wildlife, BIF as the opportunity arises, and lots of water-related photos. Of course, there are the smattering of indoor photos, too. After almost two years of having trips canceled due to COVID, we're starting to travel again. We have an Alaska cruise in August, we're taking a 16-day road trip in Utah and Arizona, visiting many of the national and state parks there, including Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, etc. In January, we have an expedition cruise to Antarctica, followed by Australia and New Zealand in February. That's why I'm looking to upgrade before these trips.

A few questions, please:

1. Some of you use the 24-105 as your everyday lens. Do you feel F4 is fast enough for everyday use?

2. If I go with the 24-105 and have the 100-400, what other lens would you recommend?

3. Though I'm not made of money, I can afford to buy the A7RIV, but I don't like wasting money. 61MP is a lot, and I don't make huge prints, so it's overkill in most situations. Of course, since I do like wildlife photos, it does give me the option to crop and still have detail. I'm hoping the A7IV will be in the 30MP range, giving at least a 20% increase from the A7III. I could get the A7RIII and 42MP would be great, but I'm adverse to buying things that are older vintage. Am I wrong? What suggestions do you have?

4. If I wait for the A7IV, I know it won't be out in time for Alaska next month or the National Parks in September. Since I'll have at least two FE lenses by then, I could rent a body. Or do you think it makes more sense to buy a used A7III or A7RIII and sell it if the A7IV is a good upgrade. I realize I'll take a loss, especially after the A7IV release, but the loss may be less than the rental charge on a body for these two trips.

I hope I'm not asking too much. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

kml426's gear list:kml426's gear list
Sony a7R IVA Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.8
Austinian
Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 11,520

kml426 wrote:

Hi, Everyone,

I'm amazed at the knowledge and talent of everyone here. I also appreciate you sharing them.

I'm ready to move from APS-C world to FF. I currently have a Pentax K3 and various lenses. I've decided to move to Sony A7, though I'm not sure which body, yet. I'm anxiously waiting for the announcement of the A7IV before deciding. In the meantime, I just purchased the Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS, and am seriously considering the lens discussed here, the Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS.

I'm an amateur photographer and mostly like to take outdoor photos - landscape, scenery, wildlife, BIF as the opportunity arises, and lots of water-related photos. Of course, there are the smattering of indoor photos, too. After almost two years of having trips canceled due to COVID, we're starting to travel again. We have an Alaska cruise in August, we're taking a 16-day road trip in Utah and Arizona, visiting many of the national and state parks there, including Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, etc.

You'll love that! My favorite part of the country for photography.

In January, we have an expedition cruise to Antarctica, followed by Australia and New Zealand in February. That's why I'm looking to upgrade before these trips.

A few questions, please:

1. Some of you use the 24-105 as your everyday lens. Do you feel F4 is fast enough for everyday use?

Yes. The Sony sensors plus the excellent noise reduction software that's available nowadays means that for me at least I haven't really needed a faster lens. Especially since you're mostly planning outdoors photography--plenty of light in canyon country!

2. If I go with the 24-105 and have the 100-400, what other lens would you recommend?

I like the inexpensive 20mm Tamron. I haven't had much use for my wider 14mm.

3. Though I'm not made of money, I can afford to buy the A7RIV, but I don't like wasting money. 61MP is a lot, and I don't make huge prints, so it's overkill in most situations. Of course, since I do like wildlife photos, it does give me the option to crop and still have detail. I'm hoping the A7IV will be in the 30MP range, giving at least a 20% increase from the A7III. I could get the A7RIII and 42MP would be great, but I'm adverse to buying things that are older vintage. Am I wrong? What suggestions do you have?

After buying the A7RIV I kept my A7RIII for backup and in reality that's all I needed. The A7RIV was a birthday present to myself that I otherwise could have done without.

One suggestion: if your have medium-to-large hands, an inexpensive grip extension designed for whatever A7xxx you buy may make for a more comfortable grip; I found them for both my cameras on Amazon for around $50.

4. If I wait for the A7IV, I know it won't be out in time for Alaska next month or the National Parks in September. Since I'll have at least two FE lenses by then, I could rent a body. Or do you think it makes more sense to buy a used A7III or A7RIII and sell it if the A7IV is a good upgrade. I realize I'll take a loss, especially after the A7IV release, but the loss may be less than the rental charge on a body for these two trips.

I hope I'm not asking too much.

Not at all, we're here to help others as well as ourselves.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,340

kml426 wrote:

Hi, Everyone,

I'm an amateur photographer and mostly like to take outdoor photos - landscape, scenery, wildlife, BIF as the opportunity arises, and lots of water-related photos. Of course, there are the smattering of indoor photos, too. After almost two years of having trips canceled due to COVID, we're starting to travel again. We have an Alaska cruise in August, we're taking a 16-day road trip in Utah and Arizona, visiting many of the national and state parks there, including Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, etc. In January, we have an expedition cruise to Antarctica, followed by Australia and New Zealand in February. That's why I'm looking to upgrade before these trips.

A few questions, please:

I have found the 24-105 to be plenty fast enough for everyday use on my A7RIV. I have never come across a situation where I felt like I needed a lens that would let more light through because I can bump up the ISO a whole lot before I have to start worrying about noise. At portrait distances and around 80mm I find the the bokeh is both pleasing and shallow enough that I can make a subject pop from the background without needing a larger aperture for an even narrower DOF.

I have a 100mm F/2.8 macro lens if I need shallower DOF but find that I almost never use it.

I have found that I use my 24-105 about 80% of the time on my A7RIV. In most situations I have stopped carrying a telephoto zoom because I have so many croppable pixels from my A7RIV. The other lens that I use about 15% of the time is my 12-24mm F/4 which I love for creating a feeling of vastness with a subject in the foreground in front of an expansive background.

I went back and forth between an A7RIII and an A7RIV. 60mp just seemed too big. I love my A7RIV and I am very happy that I went with it over the A7RIII. I do find that I crop pictures a lot more than I used... because I can without really sacrificing the image quality.

Last November I decided to purchase my A7RIV even though the release of the A7IV was imminent at that time. Instead of the A7IV we got the A1 which is WAY out of my price range. Nobody knows when the A7IV will be released and what the specs will be. Sony will spec the camera very carefully to avoid stealing any market share from their other FE cameras.

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +12 more
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 3,360

Taking a paragraph from your post I will address what I think is best for what you want to do.

For the most part you cant go wrong with any Sony FF camera on your radar, but I will add the lot

A1, A7iii, A9ii A7R IV. Not sure the "S" series is for what you want to do. Of course you have older models out there. The A7IV non R does not exist so dont even consider it unless you plan to just wait and wait and wait till it is announced. Even then like most things its a pre order and who knows how many months more for fulfillment.

24-105 is a really nice lens. I felt it replaced my nikon 24-70 mm 2.8 VR and 70-200 mm 2.8 with no problem.  I did not really use that F 2.8 all the time.

to quote

"I'm an amateur photographer and mostly like to take outdoor photos - landscape, scenery, wildlife, BIF as the opportunity arises, and lots of water-related photos. Of course, there are the smattering of indoor photos, too. After almost two years of having trips canceled due to COVID, we're starting to travel again. We have an Alaska cruise in August, we're taking a 16-day road trip in Utah and Arizona, visiting many of the national and state parks there, including Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, etc. In January, we have an expedition cruise to Antarctica, followed by Australia and New Zealand in February. That's why I'm looking to upgrade before these trips."

I shot the A7iii for 3 years great camera but I wanted an upgrade and got the A9ii.  I did not want or really need big files of the R series.  Heck that is why I went with the A7iii over the R iii when I did that... I used to shoot the D850 among others so yes 100% great camera I am not knocking it at all..

the do it all Sony camera is now the A1.  I decided if I was going to spend $4500 on the A9ii I could go another $2k, but I did not.  My purposes I know I am not doing involved video productions or frequent shoots that would warrant this.  Pretty much does it all, but just wait till the A2 comes out .... lol....

Anyway, a few ideas if you want better high ISO its the 24 mp cameras A7iii, A9 series.  For BIF and speed A9 series.  However I very successfully shot runway fashion shows with the A7iii and 24-105 with flash.

IF you are making prints based on your itinerary I think the A7R IV A the A is the newest version. I think I would do that body.

IF you want versatility and 24 mp is no slouch the A9ii will be great..

OR OR..... You could do the A7R IV A and the A9 (ii) to do what the A1 can do BUT at that point get the A1, I think it makes more financial sense.

I might also suggest you get the battery grip not a must just a suggestion

last,,, you are doing a trip I would LOVE to do and I truly feel my A9ii with 24-105, 100-400 sony and I also have the 20 mm, 35 mm GM and 90 macro would be no problem taking great photos...

I'd look for a travel tripod or monopod, external flash of your choice. Personally I shoot the Sony HVL 45 and 60 F RM... really nice they have built in receiver with the Sony commander I can do wireless flash.

Get a good backpack and or  rolling case to move through the airport,  I pack empty camera bags to unload at the destination as if I were in my home time for a day trip. You know never check camera gear (always carry on)

travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,451

kml426 wrote:

Hi, Everyone,

A few questions, please:

Thanks,

Kevin

Questions 1 & 2: The Sony 24-105 is an excellent lens - and certainly sharp enough for your needs. I don't see it as a portrait lens, but if you are not shooting portraits it will do everything and - provided you get a good copy - do everything well. You could also consider the 17-28 which is a reasonably priced and high quality wide angle to add to your kit (and/or the 28-200 + 17-28; if you like going long, the 28-200 is equally sharp to the 24-105 but with a longer range on the one end). You cannot go wrong either way, I have both. So yes, F4 is sharp enough for everyday use.

Questions 3 & 4: his is a difficult question. The A7RIV just today went on sale for 500 off, which brings it closer to the likely price of a new - not yet existing - A7IV. I think if you want the better autofocus and features and do not mind the wait, get the A7IV (although that could be until 2022, we just have no idea); and that being said, I am still shooting with an A7R3 and it is more than good enough, I have no doubt the A7RIV will wow you.

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +5 more
AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 2,077

kml426 wrote:

Hi, Everyone,

A few questions, please:

Thanks,

Kevin

I've used my 24-105 at the Grand Canyon several times. Sedona as well. A recent hike to the headwaters of the Verde River. Monument Valley. And just walking around a local lake in Prescott, AZ. Heading out today with the 24-105 to hike among the boulders of the Granite Dells. I'll be taking the 24-105 on a camping trip in late August early September to Southern UT. But also will bring my 100-400 and a rented Sigma 14-24 or Sony 16-35.

As for my next lens? Most likely it will be a macro. I'm looking at the Sigma 105 f2.8 macro. But the 100-400 does a pretty good job on macro shots!

You can't do wrong with the 24-105. If you are concered about f4 vs f2.8 there is always the highly rated Sigma 24-70 f2.8.

The A7III is my main camera. It's done me well and it's on sale now for $1,698. Just bought another one because of an issue with my first A7III.

I too am waiting for the A7IV. But not holding my breath. The new A7III will be a backup camera if the A7IV is released.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations and advice. I made a few decisions based upon what you all posted and prompted by Sony having another sale. In audio I've always spent more on speakers than the receiver. Similarly, with the move up to FF, I believe spending on good glass is better than spending on a body. Here is what I ordered so far:

Sony A7 III body. With the current price reduction to $1,698, it became very attractive for a still capable camera. Didn't make sense to buy used when new is this low. I ordered from Focus Camera (there aren't any decent local shops where I am, unlike when I lived on Long Island). I'm not sure why, but Focus had the body for $1,698, but also had several bundles for the same price. For $1,698 it came bundled like this: Sony A7 III Bundle . I realize most of it is not quality, but it was the same price so why not.

For times when walking around with a lighter setup and for low light, I ordered the Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Prime (SEL35F18F).

It seems overwhelmingly liked, so I purchased the Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM). The longest lens I had with my ASP-C Pentax was the 70-210, so I'll quite a bit more reach with the 100-400 and better quality glass.

Thank you for affirming F4 will be fast enough. I will be ordering the Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS (SEL24105G). It's on sale now for $1,298. Do you think it's worth buying new or getting a used lens? KEH LN- is $1,008 and eBay has many for sale that can be gotten for under a thousand.

The last lens I would likely need would be an UW. Many have suggested the Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM (SEL1635GM). I had a 10-20mm lens with my Pentax K3, but didn't use it that often. Now that I'm doing more traveling, I likely will get more use from it. AZheaven mentions he'll be renting this lens for an upcoming trip. If I was taking one trip I might consider renting. We have 90 days of trips in 2022 already, and have 60 days in 2023 already planned including Southeast Asia, Machu Picchu, and the Amazon River. Renting would get expensive. Do you think I'll get enough use with this lens to purchase one? If so, new is $2,000 and used is $1,600+ to $1,900. My guess would go new. Thoughts?

I don't do a great deal of indoor, and where I do, it's usually in places you cannot use a flash - museums, cathedrals, castles, etc. I have a pretty good Pentax flash, the AF540FGZ II. Would that be compatible with the A7 III? If not, LenRivers suggested the Sony HVL-F45RM or 60-FRM. Any advice here?

I have a travel tripod and camera bags. Austinian suggested extended grip, so I'll look at those. I'm also going to look at some bases, like the ones from RRS. Any suggestions, there.

One last item (that's a lie, I'm sure I'll have more questions): I see on several lenses they mention flourine coatings. But I usually have a filter on my glass, so is this a non-issue. Do you have suggestions on the best filters for these lenses?

Thanks, again, for all your wonderful advice and for helping me with my decisions. I appreciate all of you and the fine community at dpr.

Kevin

Sony a7R IVA Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.8
yodog
yodog Senior Member • Posts: 1,893

I am about to purchase the 24-105 myself to replace the 28-70 lens that came with my a7iii. My 28-70 seems to be a good copy, but I think I am ready to move up to the 24-105 and all that it has to offer. Regarding filters...based on the well-documented vignetting in the 24-105 reviews I have read at its widest settings, I have decided to forego a filter in this case and just use the lens hood. It makes sense that a filter will only make the problem worse and more difficult to remove in processing.

My daughter is getting married next year and I think the 24-105 sounds perfect on the A7iii for the occasion. If not, I suppose I can always rent the 24-70 f/2.8 for the day, but I think the 24-105 will help keep the size and weight down.

I do like the idea mentioned above about using APS-C mode if extra reach is needed...either that or just crop in post. Or better yet, just mount the lens on a APS-C body if you have one.

Mike

-- hide signature --

Aim High - Lay Low

yodog's gear list:yodog's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 +21 more

Sound like a plan, Mike. Congratulations on your daughter's wedding.

I've always put a UV filter on my lenses, but these new lenses are the best glass I've ever owned. I'm concerned about hurting IQ by putting a protective filter on them. I'm very careful with my equipment and I've never gotten a scratch on any of my filters, so in turn my lenses would have been fine.

I will be looking for some CPL filters for these.

BTW, I just purchased the 24-105 and 16-35 today. Focus Camera had them on sale (likely a Sony special available elsewhere, too) but when I checked out they took another 10% off. I got both lenses for just under $3,000.

yodog

Well, I see a "welcome to dpreview" is in order as I see you are new here. Thanks for your reply and kind regards about my daughter's wedding. With my luck, she will ban all cameras at her wedding.

Congratulations on your new purchase...you don't kid around do ya'! I think that's a great combo at an unbeatable price. I'm jealous. That 16-35 G Master f/2.8 sounds crazy good. Actually, I have a 16-35 f/4 and 24-120 f4 lenses on a Nikon D610, but I made the crossover to Sony mirrorless a year or two ago (a6000 kit) and recently went full frame after getting bitten by the bug. The high ISO and focusing in these cameras is amazing.. I am a convert and the time spent with my Nikon gear is sadly diminishing. It's not worth selling, so I will hang on to it and still play around with it. I still have some Nikon lenses like macro and fisheye that I haven't replicated in my growing Sony collection. I'm really having so much fun lately with the Sony 200-600 and looking forward to putting it through the paces at an upcoming airshow in September.

I should note that I did make the purchase of the Sony 24-105 since I posted earlier and bought it used with a trade. Can't wait to see how it performs.

Good luck with your new gear and I look forward to hopefully seeing some of your future comments and maybe some gallery photos taken with the new lenses.

Take care,

Mike

-- hide signature --

Aim High - Lay Low

AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 2,077

yodog wrote:

I am about to purchase the 24-105 myself to replace the 28-70 lens that came with my a7iii. My 28-70 seems to be a good copy, but I think I am ready to move up to the 24-105 and all that it has to offer. Regarding filters...based on the well-documented vignetting in the 24-105 reviews I have read at its widest settings, I have decided to forego a filter in this case and just use the lens hood. It makes sense that a filter will only make the problem worse and more difficult to remove in processing.

My daughter is getting married next year and I think the 24-105 sounds perfect on the A7iii for the occasion. If not, I suppose I can always rent the 24-70 f/2.8 for the day, but I think the 24-105 will help keep the size and weight down.

I do like the idea mentioned above about using APS-C mode if extra reach is needed...either that or just crop in post. Or better yet, just mount the lens on a APS-C body if you have one.

Mike

My advice is if you are going to do a wedding with the A7III and 24-105, make sure you have a flash for low light/indoor situations.

yodog

AZheaven wrote:

My advice is if you are going to do a wedding with the A7III and 24-105, make sure you have a flash for low light/indoor situations.

For sure...nice to have some fill flash for backlit daytime shots as well. I have the Flashpoint Zoom Mini for my Sony bodies. Thanks for the reminder. As the father of the bride, I may not get to take as many pictures as I would like, and of course I will let the professionals handle the ceremony and I will just grab some shots at the reception.

Come to think of it, I may just find myself shooting with the iPhone 12 Pro Max and maybe ditch the camera for convenience sake, but I still want the 24-105 for other reasons. The wedding angle is just a good excuse to get the lens   The more reviews and youtube videos I watch, the more impressed I get with this lens.

Mike

-- hide signature --

Aim High - Lay Low

yodog wrote:

Well, I see a "welcome to dpreview" is in order as I see you are new here. Thanks for your reply and kind regards about my daughter's wedding. With my luck, she will ban all cameras at her wedding.

Congratulations on your new purchase...you don't kid around do ya'! I think that's a great combo at an unbeatable price. I'm jealous. That 16-35 G Master f/2.8 sounds crazy good. Actually, I have a 16-35 f/4 and 24-120 f4 lenses on a Nikon D610, but I made the crossover to Sony mirrorless a year or two ago (a6000 kit) and recently went full frame after getting bitten by the bug. The high ISO and focusing in these cameras is amazing.. I am a convert and the time spent with my Nikon gear is sadly diminishing. It's not worth selling, so I will hang on to it and still play around with it. I still have some Nikon lenses like macro and fisheye that I haven't replicated in my growing Sony collection. I'm really having so much fun lately with the Sony 200-600 and looking forward to putting it through the paces at an upcoming airshow in September.

I should note that I did make the purchase of the Sony 24-105 since I posted earlier and bought it used with a trade. Can't wait to see how it performs.

Good luck with your new gear and I look forward to hopefully seeing some of your future comments and maybe some gallery photos taken with the new lenses.

Take care,

Mike

Thanks for the warm welcome, Mike. I've been registered on dpreview for quite some time but never posted anything. I feel humbled by the amazing talent and knowledge here and haven't found I had anything to contribute. I am active in other forums and contribute regularly to those (boats, cars, scuba) since I have much more experience and knowledge to share. Now that COVID is mostly behind us and we can start travelling again, with this new equipment I hope to have experiences and or photos to share here.

I received my first piece of the new equipment today - the only used item I purchase - the 100-400 GM. Much more heft and weight than my Pentax glass. The lens was only six months old and is in like new condition and was packed in the original box like it was new. The other three lenses and the body (all new) arrive tomorrow!

Kevin

jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 1,742

rick in vegas wrote:

I had one but found it bulky and not balanced on A7III.

Same.  I wanted to like this lens as the specs are PERFECT, but its a bit to heavy and bulky for the A7C if you want it for an everyday carry.

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +8 more
Scott Alan Contributing Member • Posts: 578

I have been shooting with the 24-105mm since 2018 on my A7RIII.   I love the lens for its FL range, stabilized optics, and sharpness.   For walk around  stills and video it works very well.

But in 2020 I started  shooting with Sony 20mm F1.8 G and and Loxia 50mm F2.  There is a great  improvement in rendering with these two lens relative to 24-105mm.   It is not a fair comparison as they are primes.  But when I have time I prefer these lenses.

However,  if I am shooting  video of a sporting event t the Sony 24-105mm really shines.

Scott Alan's gear list:Scott Alan's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Zeiss Loxia 50 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +2 more

yodog wrote:

AZheaven wrote:

For sure...nice to have some fill flash for backlit daytime shots as well. I have the Flashpoint Zoom Mini for my Sony bodies. Thanks for the reminder. As the father of the bride, I may not get to take as many pictures as I would like, and of course I will let the professionals handle the ceremony and I will just grab some shots at the reception.

Come to think of it, I may just find myself shooting with the iPhone 12 Pro Max and maybe ditch the camera for convenience sake, but I still want the 24-105 for other reasons. The wedding angle is just a good excuse to get the lens The more reviews and youtube videos I watch, the more impressed I get with this lens.

Mike

It's special to take photos at such an important event, but it's more important to enjoy your daughter's special day. I like the iPhone idea. You can catch candids the photographer is likely to miss.

Kevin

yodog

Exactly what I was thinking, Kevin.  The iphone amazes me sometimes, especially portait mode.

Have fun with all those new lenses arriving over the next day or two.  I don't know which box I would open first.   I keep reading more and more reviews on the 24-105 and convinced it is the way to go as far as medium range zooms are concerned.  I really prefer 24mm over 28mm at the wide end and it's nice to have the extra reach over the competition which only go to 70/75mm.   It's really why I am moving from the 28-70 lens. I have had great luck with 3rd party lenses in the past, but this time I have chosen to go with native Sony.  I was looking through some photos today taken with the 18-135mm Sony on the a6400 and amazed at the quality.  If the 24-105 meets or exceeds that, I will be a happy boy.

Regards,

Mike

-- hide signature --

Aim High - Lay Low

Dave_Good Contributing Member • Posts: 976

I've had mine for about a month now and enjoy shooting with it. It's my first auto focus/zoom in years. Image quality is quite good for a zoom although it does have quite funky (busy) oof areas. Weight and size is fine for me on the A7R2.

Dave_Good's gear list:Dave_Good's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more

He looks like a good old boy. I love labs and goldens!

yodog wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking, Kevin. The iphone amazes me sometimes, especially portait mode.

Have fun with all those new lenses arriving over the next day or two. I don't know which box I would open first. I keep reading more and more reviews on the 24-105 and convinced it is the way to go as far as medium range zooms are concerned. I really prefer 24mm over 28mm at the wide end and it's nice to have the extra reach over the competition which only go to 70/75mm. It's really why I am moving from the 28-70 lens. I have had great luck with 3rd party lenses in the past, but this time I have chosen to go with native Sony. I was looking through some photos today taken with the 18-135mm Sony on the a6400 and amazed at the quality. If the 24-105 meets or exceeds that, I will be a happy boy.

Regards,

Mike

The SEL100400GM arrived yesterday and looks like new. The other three lenses and body arrive today. I'll use it to photograph my Pentax stuff to put on eBay.

Kevin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads